Keeping Male Knobbies Together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience keeping male N levis together? Will they cohabit ok in the absence of a female or will they get territorial and fight??? The reason for the question is I currently keep my pilbs together as pairs in exoterra terrariums. They produced multiple eggs last season and I want to give them a break this year. So I was looking to move them around, and house male with male and female with female.

I have kept two males together, only the more dominant one ever did anything and only during the breeding season (even with no female present), to be honest I doubt their combat could have serious effects other than tail loss, but I wouldn't risk it again anyway.

Although I have not housed two (gecko) males together I wouldn't personally as I have seen the results of a unwilling female thicktail who had her leg torn off at the knee from the male. We are talking about N. Levis here but would have thought the same could be done to another male.

Would you be able to divide the enclosure??

i did it once but for like 5min because the male got very aggressive and proceded to attack the other male , so advise keeping males separate unless they are hatchlings .

I think not for the best, you could get 2 Small glass aquariums around 18inch plus size paint 3 sides black. Put them side by side with a common heat matt used between both tanks to house them in. I would recomed to make a fly screen lid for this so noithing gets in or out

So, feeling so far, keeping males together not a good idea!
I'm not willing to risk injury to one of these little guys, so I'll keep males separated. :)
What about females?? Can they be kept together??
Thanks
Phil

Females should be fine together. I've kept female N.l.levis together and nothing came of it.

So, feeling so far, keeping males together not a good idea!
I'm not willing to risk injury to one of these little guys, so I'll keep males separated. :)
What about females?? Can they be kept together??
Thanks
Phil

I often keep a few females together , never seen any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back