Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look great Croc doc year after year beautiful little lacies such a long incubation time

If I had the space I'd get one of these guys in a heartbeat. Pretty much my ultimate reptile.

Never get tired of seeing your hatchie lacies, David.

They always look so healthy mate well done.

wow what a great suprise.
well done buddy keep us updated with pics and thanks for sharing

I've just responded to your PM, Skrillex, but now that I've seen your signature on this post I have realised you're in the USA. You'll have to source some over there, I'm afraid.

This is one of my new additions, a 'rescue' spencers who is 7 years old, the size of an adult ackie, and has gout in his elbow from a poor diet and low heat. He has a lot of character I love him/her. I just set this enclosure up yesterday with things I already had around the house, so I still need to do some tweaking.

IMG_2293.jpg

That large bit of thick bark behind the branch is curved and hollow so he has a huge but snug hiding spot
IMG_2292.jpg

He has started to shed between his back legs and is a beautiful crisp white underneath :)
IMG_2294.jpg

You can see that between his nostril and the tip of his snout, his skin has been rubbed back to the cartilage from rubbing on his previous mesh enclosure. It is the same on the other side :(
IMG_2295.jpg

This is my new baby spencers, perfect in every way :) (I am interested in getting a second baby if anyone reading will have any hatching soon? Preferably with thick white banding).

Again I just set this enclosure up with random stuff from around the house, so I will see if he makes good use of the furniture and tweak it from there!

IMG_2289.jpg

Where's Wally? :p
IMG_2288.jpg

Enclosure shot. I really like the outdoor floodlight globes from Bunnings, so I will get one to replace that current globe.
IMG_2287.jpg

This is Bowser the black Mertens. He is a big boy but handles really well. Sorry about the artsy shot I was trying to make him look more appealing to my non reptile friends lol.
Bowser-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow ingie, you really are a sucker for the sick ones. Good luck with him. It's hard for me to imagine how someone could neglect such a magnificent animal.

I was reading this thread and saw someone recommend the GU10 globes. Has anyone seen the 50watt halogen flood lights with an ES fitting? They only come in one wattage (at Bunnings) but are a mixture of the big thick glassed outdoor flood lights, and the GU10. I put one of them in a lamp next to the 60 watt spot globes I usually get, and the 50 watt one felt much hotter immediately. Would be perfect for hatchling or small monitor basking spots. Am yet to try it at home where I can measure the temps though. I will take a photo of the box if anyone is interested!

Has anyone seen the 50watt halogen flood lights with an ES fitting? They only come in one wattage (at Bunnings) but are a mixture of the big thick glassed outdoor flood lights, and the GU10. Would be perfect for hatchling or small monitor basking spots.
Is the box blue with a red corner and the bulb made by Nelson (or, alternatively, a light blue box with a bulb made by Philips)? I've been using those bulbs for 10-11 years and I think they're the ideal bulb for monitors as they're made of tough glass, give off a really nice, white light and they heat up the basking spot without overheating the entire enclosure.
Would be perfect for hatchling or small monitor basking spots.
They're good for larger monitors, too, for they are small enough that three or more can be put together in a row.

Yes that is them Crocdoc! I put them in a few of my tanks this morning and am very impressed.

7b62860e-2010-64c2.jpg

The substrate is rice husks from my local produce store. I had to buy 140kg lol but I love it! Looks great and can go on the garden when finished.

Here is a few moreDSC_0645.jpgDSC_0001.jpgDSC_1033.jpgDSC_5324.jpgDSC_5371.jpgDSC_5368.jpgDSC_0666.jpg

Ingie those Spencers are cool, probably 1 of my fav monitors. I'll have to take some pics of my little fella "Frank" and upload em.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back