Retained Shed Angry Bhp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thexbluexfairy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to help a 6ft angry BHP ho has a fair amount of retained shed. When my other snakes have had retained shed in the past i have soaked them and slid them through towels or helped peal it away. I tried to get her out but as soon as i opened her enclosure she started attacking everything even her self.

I have upped the humidity in he enclosure and provided another rock to help.

So any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If your angry BHP doesnt want help just spray the retained skin with a water bottle and as long as theres something such as branches or something it can rough it can slide over should come of by it self

Yeah we used a water misting spray and a foot pumice stone form a $2 shop and she got pretty much all of it off.

Also for the head part which is where we had trouble we gave her a feed and while the rat was half in and her mouth was too busy to bite me I peeled the last bits off :)

Hope this helps!!

You could try and remove her from the cage first thing in the morning, if your heat is off during the night, then first thing before the heat comes back on in the morning your angry BHP "might" be a bit easier to handle because of the cooler temp. Then the soaking as you normally would.T

My BHP recently shed leaving behind some unshed skin on his head and a specticle scale. I placed him into a pillowcase that had been soaked in warm water twisted the opening quite tightly leaving him with little space to move in. This caused him to want to find a way out and forced him to rub his head against the moist fabric rehydrating the skin and making the retained shed almost fall off on its own.

Calico bags work even better. You can leave them in overnight. If they settle once in the bag you can also try holding the head and soaking the body through the bag.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys i misted her body whilst in the enclosure and added in almost a maze of rocks and it all seems to be off now.

Keep in mind it is very difficult to breath through a wet bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back