May have a heart condition, advice please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawasakirider

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, after reading that Zyzz (look him up if you don't know who he is, he died a couple of days ago) had an undiagnosed heart condition (which could be a lie to cover up his antics) it made me want to act on something I've been experiencing increasingly in the past couple of months.

One second I'll be feeling completely normal (this is at rest by the way) and then the next second my heart will feel like it's going spastic, and I will feel like I've been holding my breath for 10 minutes. My GF has been pleading with me to go to the dr, but I've been telling myself "she'll be right mate" all of this has been accompanied with random tightness in my chest (not at the same time of the "spasms" or whatever you want to call it, just in general).

I rang my mother as I know her, and my father have a history of heart conditions. I can't get onto my old man to find out his issues (I know he has angina but that's it)

My mother said she has pulmonary embolisms and a dodgy mitral (sp?) valve, I have no idea what all of this means yet, but I'm booked in to see a doctor this afternoon.

My question is, do any of you guys suffer from things like this, and what do you do about it? BTW, I'm not a fatass, I don't smoke and if I do drink, it's only occasionally.

You only have one heart matey, so don't take any chances. I had a minor heart attack in 2005 (family history on mother's side) - I was in the car, went straight to my doctor's, and was in an ambulance in 10 minutes heading for RPH in Perth.

My doctor said that most men would "wait it out" on the couch with the symptoms I had, but that half of those would die at home while waiting it out!

Chances are you have nothing serious, but there's only one way to find out, and you can't do it yourself. Get to the doctor asap.

Jamie

Yeah cheers mate. I've got an appointment at 2:30 this afternoon. I made one with a different doctor as my current one doesn't take anything seriously. I'm kinda glad I've decided to do something about it. It's easy to push it to the back of my mind.

My grandmother on my mothers side has had two MAJOR heart attacks and is lucky to still be walking around, and my dads father (who I never had the chance to meet) died of a heart attack in his early 50's.

So I've got dodgy genes on both sides of the family. I guess I've got the best chance though, as I don't smoke and I'm going to get it sorted out.

Good on you for not overlooking it. Any weird pain in the chest that you haven't experienced before has gotta be checked out, especially if your family has a history of heart conditions.

According to my mum I was born with a heart murmur. Had it checked out a couple years back due to sharp stabbing heart pains. Also have had my heart go spastic (amongst other things) whilst I was having an apparent allergic reaction to some drug out of the penicillin group. Lol, that was so not fun.

Good on you for not overlooking it. Any weird pain in the chest that you haven't experienced before has gotta be checked out, especially if your family has a history of heart conditions.

According to my mum I was born with a heart murmur. Had it checked out a couple years back due to sharp stabbing heart pains. Also have had my heart go spastic (amongst other things) whilst I was having an apparent allergic reaction to some drug out of the penicillin group. Lol, that was so not fun.

I've been dealing with it for a while, the only thing that has really made me go and get it checked out is this guys death. He's a strong steroid user and a party drug user, but it still doesn't make sense. I believe that his drug use contributed to his death, by exacerbating a preexisting heart condition.

So when you got your heart checked, did they give you the all clear, or confirm that your heart murmur was still present? I bet having an allergic reaction wasn't fun, my mother's allergic to penicillin.

I've been dealing with it for a while, the only thing that has really made me go and get it checked out is this guys death. He's a strong steroid user and a party drug user, but it still doesn't make sense. I believe that his drug use contributed to his death, by exacerbating a preexisting heart condition.

So when you got your heart checked, did they give you the all clear, or confirm that your heart murmur was still present? I bet having an allergic reaction wasn't fun, my mother's allergic to penicillin.
They said it's still there, but it shouldn't cause me much trouble. I just have to basically keep an eye on it and all that jazz. Yeah, it was a weird allergic reaction. Like chest crushing, throat burning, heart racing, body going into tremors style thing. Because of that I can only get B grade antibiotics whenever I need them which sucks, lol.

Your mum sounds like she's got some bad luck.

Yeah, her health is really bad. Injections every day and that's not even the worst of it. Not keen on going into that, though.

Sounds like a wild ride you went through, I wouldn't like to experience it :(

It' a good thing you are getting it checked out, even though it may be a little scary. Hopefully all is well, but if not it can be treated.

Yeah, her health is really bad. Injections every day and that's not even the worst of it. Not keen on going into that, though.

Sounds like a wild ride you went through, I wouldn't like to experience it :(
Ah, that sucks. Hopefully you don't end up having to go through all that.

Yeah, that allergic reaction wasn't fun. Lol. Think it only lasted about 4-6 hours... I have no idea though really.

Last edited:
i have wolf parkingson white and its not pleasant i have been waiting for quiet some time now to have a catheter ablation i wont go in any detail on the forum pm if you like

No one here can give you any advice unless they are a cardiologist and can do tests on you, best bet get to the doctor asap, and if your doctor feels it maybe an issue you will get a referal to a cardiologist, dont ignore it as a post said before you only have one heart, its actaully rather alarming how many people have heart problems these days so your not alone

Last edited:
i have wolf parkingson white and its not pleasant i have been waiting for quiet some time now to have a catheter ablation i wont go in any detail on the forum pm if you like

No one here can give you any advice unless they are a cardiologist and can do tests on you, best bet get to the doctor asap, and if your doctor feels it maybe an issue you will get a referal to a cardiologist, dont ignore it as a post said before you only have one heart, its actaully rather alarming how many people have heart problems these days so your not alone

Hey, I had an interlude of what they thought was WPW - and had bouts of atrial tachycardia which were well treated with beta blockers. WPW Syndrome is an electrical short-circuit if I recall and causes irregular heart rhythm, especially when exercising? Went away after about 2 years...

Jamie

i have a functional heart murmur, was diagnosed during a physical for a SCUBA course. i was told its nothing to worry about as I'm quite active and fit but if i notice my fitness level decrees dramatically all of a sudden then i need to go get it checked out.

i have noticed when laying in bed before sleep sometimes it feels/sounds like my heart has a normal beat a long pause then a few fast beat, and the cycle repeat's, I'm planning on seeing a doc soon to ask if its related to the murmur or something else or even nothing.

external damage or minor illnesses i tough out but anything connected with a major organ i don't mess around with just get it checked out better safe than sorry as they say, and early detection is always in your favor.

let us know how your doc appointment went.

Thanks for the advice and stories everyone. I hope you all continue to keep healthy :)

Just got back from the Dr with no verdict as of yet. He took my blood pressure and listened to my chest. Apparently all of that was fine, so I have to have a blood test at 8 tomorrow morning after fasting.

I'm not convinced there's nothing going on, something must be happening for my heart to feel like it's missing a beat and all the oxygen to be suddenly knocked out of me. It's so hard to understand, to get to the point of how much I need oxygen when it happens, you'd have to hold your breath for like 2 minutes, but it comes on in a split second.

My family has a shocking history of heart problems on each side, too. So if he can't find anything then I'll be going to a differen't doctor. Not trying to be racist, but he was indian and I couldn't really understand him, and he didn't seem to offer any alternatives other than "your blood pressure is fine, so you must be OK".

Hmmm, you might want to get your lungs, etc. checked as well if you're feeling like that. No matter what the doc says after your blood test just request to get a referral for further examinations at a hospital, especially with a family history as bad as yours seems to be.

Thanks guys, I'll look into it.

Kinda strange as I've always been active. I ran for state in the 100m sprint and things like that.

Disease/Illness can hit the healthiest of people, especially if there's a family history.

Don't get too worked up about it yet :) When you find out for sure, then you can worry (or not) all you want! Good luck and I hope it all works out for the best :)

Don't feel too bad, I could have heart problems within the next 5 years, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back