Time period between getting reptiles from different collections?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Em1986

Reaction score
Hi guys, not sure if this has been covered anywhere on here but i was just wondering if there is a 'safe' minimum time frame between purchasing snakes from 2 different collections?
Quarantine would be followed obviously.
What do you guys do for example when you buy a few reptiles off different breeders at say a reptile expo or during breeding season when you want hatchlings from 2 different bloodlines?
Thanks in advance :)

Not sure what you mean about minimum time frames between purchases?

Are you asking what is a recommended time frame for an animal/s to be quarantined?

What i mean is, is there a certain amount of time that is needed between buying from different collections to lessen the risk of any 'nasties'?
The animals will be quarantined for at least a few months (as in usual hand washing, washing tongs etc between feeding each snake, cleaning all their stuff separately, using gloves and changing them between cleaning each enclosure) but is there a time frame in which i need to check the animals for mites, infections etc (in other words incubation periods) to present themselves before purchasing from a different collection?
I am interested in getting a pair of darwin hets soonish and have just paid for a caramel childrens from a different person (i know that their collection is extremely well looked after and very clean as i have seen it) and also there is a pair of snakes that i am feeling for at the moment that need a new home asap (i feel for the snakes not the owner) so i am in a bit of a pickle so to speak as all these snakes are from 3 different collections.
I am very set on my caramels and don't want to risk their health too much.
I know adding anything new to a collection is a risk but i want to minimise it if possible without giving up on the other snakes.

So therefore, would it be safe to purchase from 3 different collections around the same time as long as strict quarantine was followed and i kept a very good eye on the health of each snake?

Ok well, personally i don't think you should be overly concerned about the time frame between purchases from difference sources, instead more focused on how to avoid unnecessary cross contamination between individual animals indefinitely.

Your unlikely to be able to determine with any certainty if a python is 100% free of all problems, regardless of time frame.

Further info.

Snake Mites:
The Life History of Snake Mites | Vida Preciosa International, Inc.

Hygiene Protocol:
www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/hygieneProtocolSnakes.pdf

Thanks so much. As i said i am more worried about different incubation time frames for different things other than the usual quarantine time.
When feeding and cleaning i plan on doing it all separate all the time anyway and keeping the same water bols etc in the same enclosures just to be extra safe.
None of the snakes look like they have mites (i know my friends snakes deffinately don't) from the photos i have seen and i trust the darwin breeder but it's just the other 2 snakes i am a bit weary of.
Would it be a good idea to spray the other 2 snakes that i am weary of for mites if/when i get them just to be extra safe? They are unlikely to be handled for some time until they are more comfortable and fed properly!
I am fine with the husbandry requirements of the species etc and have a good book on them but just time to organise hygiene and educate myself on things to look out for is the problem.
I originally planned on just buying from my friend so i wouldn't have had as much to worry about as they are all from the one very healthy collection but then this situation arose with the snakes i feel the need to 'save'!
Thanks so much for your help, the guy needs them gone by tuesday so not much time at all!

That info on mites made my skin itchy and the other info is just fantastic, just what my brain really needs right now :)
Thanks again for the time and effort your replies took, i truely appreciate it Australis!

Last edited:
Well the way i do this i put most quarantined snakes on my computer desk weather it is 1 or 2 snakes except my inland taipans they had to go straight into the snake room'..It all depends on how much room you have...

I currently have a sunroom worth of room but would be setting up temporary tubs on a sheet of melamine with a heat cord for the tubs to sit on. I don't currently have any snakes only my beardies and could easily put my male beardy in with my females and put tubs in the males enclosure (5ftx2ftx80cm) with a heat mat or cord as well if need be or i could do the same type of set up in the loungeroom just for the pair i am weary of and have the caramel in the 'reptile room' where the beardies are. There is room to separate the snakes to either end of the house. I am currently getting rid of my fish and going to store my tank so i have more room for reptiles lol.

Our Quarantine takes place in a totally different property to the one the collection is housed and the time frame we follow is a minimum of 8 to 12
months of isolation.
This area has its own set of husbandry equipment and after every visit all clothing is washed and persons that have been there are showered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back