My Spotted Python seems small for his age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morsecode

Reaction score
My spotted python is 15 months old, 22 inches long, about as thick as my ring finger, and weighs 60 grams. About a month or 2 ago, he was 50 grams, and about 5 months ago he was 25 grams. He looks a lot smaller than the spotteds I've seen in pictures and videos online. I feel like I might just be judging the size of his mice poorly (Maybe I'm not judging his mice accurately at 150% his body diameter) He is pretty mobile in his enclosure, has a strong hold, very curious. He used to shed back to back for a good two months but it was while I was living in a house with some kids that smoked weed. I kept his enclosure as far away from the smoke and as near to fresh air as I could. I'm in a new house now with no smokers and he seems to be shedding less and he behaves a little happier.

Here are some pictures of him now:

IMG_1238.jpgIMG_1261.jpgIMG_1265.jpg

Mine is about that size, she was born in November 2009. She eats a velvet mouse each week. Aggressive little bugger too :)

well mines about 1 year and 6 months and shes about a metre, she's a monster compared to her siblins but then agian i have fed her every week, if your feeding him everyweek i guess he's just taking longer, he may just be a smaller one :)

IMO thats small for its age, Thats about the size of our 8 mo spotties.
Most Antaresia should be getting close to their adult size by 18mo
and be of adult size by 2 to 2.5 years.
Review what your feeding in terms of size, you may need to upsize.
(that snake should be able to take either a large velvet rat or medium adult
mouse)

It looks healthy to me. If you want it to grow quicker feed it more. Change it over to Rats if you want larger food items.You can feed a snake to refusal whilst young without detrimental effects.

Your spottie wil grow faster if you feed rats not mice and if your still worried he is small feed every five days that and feeding larger food items will get it up to size more quickly without over feeding

mate im in the exact same boat as you. I took my spottie to the vet for just a regular check when he was supposedly a year old and they couldnt believe that he was that age, cause he was to small... turns out i was feeding him pinkies for way to long and since ive been upsizing his food he has been growing like crazy, still is small for his age though but a lot bigger to what he would be, try feeding him fuzzy rats or hopper mice

My spotted is 21 months old and only eats mice, she will eat 1 a week, some times she wont eat but only once in a while,
IMG_9093.jpg

You should end up with a food conversion of about 3:1. ie 3 kilos of food will grow 1 kilo of snake. An adult mouse each week is about a kilo of food per year, and so should increase the snakes weight about 3-400 grams. this applies to younger actively growing animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back