ACT Licensing help??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalese

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Morning all,
I have been looking into getting my first python for the last few months after having my long neck turtle for 6 years.
However he died on the weekend due to a mystery illness :(
Will the time I had him still count towards getting my license?

Hi Dalese,
Sorry about your turtle.
I don't think you'll have any problems as the 6 years you had your turtle for will still count as experience. The exception would be if the illness was due to poor husbandry. There might be some questions asked about this as well as what you did once symptoms arose. I've found TAMS (ACT licensing) good to deal with so I'd recommend asking them.

Was your turtle under a class 1 license? or an exempt species?
As long as you can prove you've had it for 6 years there should be no issues as you require a class 2 license for snakes in the ACT.
ACT Licensing are giving a speech about licensing in the ACT at the ACTHA meeting tomorrow night in Belconnen www.[B]act[/B]ha.org.au

Just put in your application, turn around is normally with in 1 week.

You shouldn't have any issues at all... I 've had blue tongues and beardies for years but moved them on a while a go... I put my application in and within 24 hours got a phone call confirming details and then 3 days later my licence and record book turned up. Totally supprised with the service! (in a good way)

Few more questions! :D

When i'm writing the description of my enclosure is that for the adult or the hatchie (will obviously be different sizes)

Your best to give as much info as possible to get the desired results, I'd give both it can only favour you.

I have found Matt and Edana at licensing very helpful with quick turnaround in paperwork for new species usually within 3-4 days.

Also is it ok to put unknown down for supplier? I dont have a specific snake lined up yet as I want to have the license ready first

Hmm If your getting an animal you'll have to give details of the seller but if your just applying for a licence that's fine. But it's best to ring the guys in the morning and have a chat. here's a link on licensing in the meantime I just pulled hope it helps

Edit that, that was NSW :/

This one :)

Last edited:
Matt isn't working in that position at the moment, so Edana and another lady are doing them at the moment.

You can put 'TBA' in the person you are getting the snakes from etc, and build husbandry advise based on the size you are getting (i am getting hatchling provide details) then say will be upgraded appropriately into this size when adult etc etc etc...

I did this to get Jungles and Stimsons added to my license I had no idea when I would get them or whom from.

Edana and the other lady just gave a speech at the ACTHA meeting about licensing.

I think it was Joanne, but I'm not normally very good with names. I've always found, and it came across in the presentation last night, the people at licensing to be very helpful and willing to consider individual cases. So it's probably best to give them a call and ask their advice.

Agree with what has been said about the officials involved. I was at the ACTHA for the first time this week and it was great to see them there and obviously looking to be so helpful. I recently went through the licensing process for the first time. I was very pleasantly surprised not only with the efficiency and quick turn around, but, the general helpfulness of Matt who it was that I dealt with at the time. He even rang me to clarify an incorrectly checked box.

With regards to completing the application itself. I put in as much information as possible about any knowledge of husbandry of the specific species, short and long term housing plans as well as as much detail as possible about the exempt species that I have kept. I felt it was better to not leave any questions to be asked if at all possible. It may have been overkill, but, I was very keen to be approved. Thankfully it worked out for the best for me.

One tip that I found helpful was in relation to the form itself. There is not a lot of room there to describe the required information (husbandry plan etc.). I just wrote up my plans etc and attached them to the back. that way I had enough room to go over what I thought were the necessary details.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
TF.

I'm not sure about the original question but my tip is answer the questions on the application on a separate piece of paper.

When I first did mine I did it very brief and just filled in on the lines of the application (I had previously had a QLD license where you had to do very little to qualify) they declined it and I ended up writing two pages of dot points.

Every little thing to do with husbandry and feeding I put in. No detail is insignificant. I put down about hides, size of tanks, temps, food size, when to feed, when not to feed (ie when coming into shed), how to feed, substrate, thermostat info, thermometer info, light bulb info, any accessories, cleaning enclosure using only hot water or F10. Pretty much anything and the more info the better.

Would someone be willing to read through my husbandry plan before I send it off?

bump

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back