Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FAY

To the twits from the government departments that want to increase cage sizes AFTER they have had all the right information from the experts, but of course other government departments know better. Here is one for you....
I always put my great eating, fast growing hatchies and upsize their enclosure to suit. On more than one occasion ( a few actually) I have had to put them back to the tub/rack that they came from as they will not eat and need to get them back on track. So for the govt departments that seem to know it all.......nothing is black and white. There are a lot of shades of grey that need to be considered before you go making any enforceable laws.
Just my rant ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if any of the people who make these laws actually have any snakes? Doesn't sound like it.

I've heard about this cage sizes review a few times lately. Is this something that's happening Australia-wide or just in a few states? Where do we get information about what's happening? Thanks.

So I guess even with a change of state government this crap is still on the table?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read with the requirements (in the huge thread with the attached PDFs), that animals are classified as 'adults' at 12 months old, and therefore need to be in a full sized enclosure?

Re Cage sizes....

I wonder if the NSW State Government realises that institutions like Taronga Zoo and other Zoos with reptile displays (say Australia Zoo and Australian Reptile Park) don't comply with their "guidelines" either.
Hopefully, the announced "cutbacks to National Parks announced by Barry O'Farrell a few days ago, may include the fools who ignored the advice of experts in the process and then proposed this tomfoolery...
(just my 2 cents worth)

Cage sizes seems trivial to West Australians who cant even keep things like a GTP, RSP, RBB etc. I understand your frustration, but there are worse things for some people in the hobby.

Cage sizes seems trivial to West Australians who cant even keep a GTP or a RSP. I understand your frustration, but there are worse things in the hobby.

Yes but this thread is about enforceable cage sizes in NSW not what you can and cannot keep in WA.

well, 2 months have passed since they were made aware of the 48 snakes living in their own filth and still nothing has happened there,...as if theyre gonna actually lift a finger to enforce anything once the regulations have been passed,.....

12 month is an adult snake...who knew.
Ive had yearlings still in hatchy racks because they were slow starters..
And how can they possibly regulate the new law, are they going to search everyone on licence or just pick on the folks with the large collections...

And my point was "get over it! there are worse things than mandatory cage sizes" :p
So you would be ok if they mandated oversized enclosures for all snakes which may mean you have to get rid of some snakes to be able to house them all under the proposed regs???? Is there any new info on this or just the last thread with the proposed sizes??

I'd just build another double garage or a granny flat... but that’s me. We live with ridiculous laws pertaining to keeping reptiles already here. So what's one more stupid law.
I'm not saying I agree with mandatory sizes. I think a suggested minimum is sufficient, and where neglect is shown in individual cases then it should be dealt with accordingly.

Iv'e never had large decked out enclosures apart from ''display'' type animals, my enclosures are by no means small but wouldn't fit with these regulations, but as long as there is a ''licensing'' system then i guess we need to have people who know better telling us what to do eh...

The regs are for the benefit of most snakes
For breeders etc they will be a pain in the backside if they retain too many yearlings
Too bad
For those who keep lots of larger snakes in racks or plastic boxes
Too bad
Basically if you dont have enough room to house your babies sell some

Far too many people have adopted the American system thats all over Utube etc
Those ideas are for full time commercial breeders who have $$$$ as their bottom line
Hobbyists should be looking at aesthetics and welfare as well

For those who say if they live and breed they are ok
Battery hens live and breed
Force fed pigs live and breed
So in that perspective you are correct
But is it good for the long term?

Yet another reason why we need a national reptile society to challange these things.

i don't get what you's are sooking about, as longqi say's it's for their welfare, sometimes i want to grab someone who keeps there snakes in little tubs and knock up a 4x4x4 ft enclosure and put them in there for the rest of their lifes, how can you say you care for animal welfare and yet the cries go out when they want you to build a bigger home for them, if you can't upsize, then downgrade, it's that simple

What species do you keep and what are their current cage sizes?

i don't get what you's are sooking about, as longqi say's it's for their welfare, sometimes i want to grab someone who keeps there snakes in little tubs and knock up a 4x4x4 ft enclosure and put them in there for the rest of their lifes, how can you say you care for animal welfare and yet the cries go out when they want you to build a bigger home for them, if you can't upsize, then downgrade, it's that simple

Is that a python in a little tub in your avatar I see..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back