Buying a new car 15 or 16" Alloys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^ this. You don't see any real drivers car coming off the floor with small rims.
Would they sell as many? Performance and looks are different things.
Regarding 14inch rims I certainly would if they would fit over my brakes ;) Of course you would have them in an appropriate width though... And negates the negatives? It does not negate a massive increase in unsprung weight resulting in poorer performing suspension and increased wear as well as a decrease in acceleration.

Im not being too serious with this by the way ;) Just enjoying the chat haha

Last edited:
I understand that. If cars came out of the factory with large rims they have been designed for them. It only really comes into effect when people put 20 to 22inch rims on cars that came out with 16's.

Last edited:
This thread was about any differences between 15 and 16" rims. Not 15" rims and 22" chromies. I fully understand the effects of increased unsprung weight and the negative effects on handling and braking when it is increased.

But to say that your breaking distance will be greater with 16s as opposed to 15s is ridiculous. What about the dozens of other factors that influence braking distance?

Btw I love old school small wheels, only problem is getting tyres these days to suit

Lol thanks Cam. I was getting lost in the talk. Definitely decided to get the i20 in all the reviews it flogs everything else in value, warranty and power (except the polo -but repair costs are huge!) it's coming with 8 yr warranty 3 yr road side assistance and 1 yr free servicing. I really can't get much better than that!And a road test Sydney to bunderberg on one tank of fuel in school holidays I really can't complain about fuel efficiency.

i bought a Hayundi 1989, brand new, back then.thaught it would be long dead and buried by now, like me,but instead, nothing has ever really gone wrong with it, except, once the pistons became blocked. When it is serviced,they always tell me it will go quite a ways yet...driving it to the big orchid show/sale at St. Ives Showground to-morrow that should read......"the filters became blocked "

Last edited:
16's will make the car handle better due to the reduced side wall height of the tire. The only problem really with larger rims is that they increase braking distance and are more likely to be damaged by a pot hole. I have 18's the key is just avoid pot holes

How would increasing the contact patch and lowering the profile of a tyre INCREASE the braking distance?? I'm confused!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back