HELP! beardies are laying!?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllThingsReptile

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
well my situation is:i live half time at my mums, which is where my beardies are, and i got there this week to discover eggs,i have no incubator, and the beardies which layed the eggs is 1 1/2 yrs old and WAY to small for her age, i sifted all the sand to find an old clutch, which must have been layed a while ago, and they were shrivelled and yellow, and upon moving a rock, found another clutch, only a few days old, i straight away called "scales" my local go to petshop and it being 5:00 on a sunday no-one answered, i have had no internet access until now, i am actually posting this at school, any advice? i dont want the eggs to die!?

Given your not equiped to handle eggs let alone hatchies it would be advisable to chill the last clutch laid (if they have been in the sand to long they will have started to dehydrate), The first clutch is not any good by discription.

If the female is small split her from the male and pump her with calcium laiden food as the egg developing process depleats her body quickly of nutrients.

There is a possibility she will lay more as one mating can produce
multiple clutches.

Hi Lizardboi, good to see another Albury-Wodonga member.

Although I can't help with your situation, I think the above posters' suggestion of chilling the eggs (from what I have read elsewhere) might end up being the only option.

Maybe next year you will be able to monitor them more closely and be ready (and your female will be larger and stronger)

I'm not trying to sound like an ******* but you should be more prepared.. If you can't always be there you should ask your mum to take care of em and tell her what to do,or seperating her from the male to avoid accident would have also been a good idea,just because she isn't ready dosent mean the male will not mate with her..I'm sure it's a very strenuous process for her and you already missed one clutch and this is the 2nd..without the proper care she could have a serious lack of calcium and strength left in her body..unless you can find the stuff needed asap to make a home made incubator or borrow one I suggest what beeman said.. I'm sorry if I sound harsh but it jst really annoys me when ppl leave their females with males and then are suprised by eggs,and then oh well I'll jst freeze em..there living breathing creatures and we buy em as pets and were supposed to take care of them

hey mate i am coming to albury on sunday and i have an incubator. i can take the eggs if u want me to mate. let me know

ring me mate or send a text. 0427066996

also you could probaly drop them off to a friend of mine and she will look after them untill sunday for me, she is very experianced with beardies

Last edited:
if you know ur lizard is way to small to be bred why is she living with a male?

have u seperated t hem?

Chris1 cranky at this thread?

@lizardboii sorry I didn't mean to hi Jack your thread with hate or anything like that. It's just I am constantly seing posts like this and have ne'er said anything and I guess your post was like the straw that broke the camels back kinda thing, but you asked for help so I'm not saying you don't care. I dot know your situation so I'm not judging you,I'm just saying if you cannot take the proper care needed for them then don't be sellfish and keep them,give them to someone who can take care with them. again I dnt kno ur situation but I could never imagine leaving my beardies for a week,I don't think I'd be able to even for a day but hey that's me. Anyway you are obviously not prepared to take care of the eggs,and eggs require a lot of attention,you have to monitor temps and humidity,also have you candles them to see I they are in fact fertile? If they are and you cannot take care with em I suggest giving em to bullfrog,or freezing them. and def seperate your female asap, as beeman said you could get multiple clutches (up to 6 I think) from 1 encounter,the female can also retain the sperm as not to get chased again by the male as mating can be very stressful experience for the female,however this does not necessarily stop the male. That's about all the info I can give you on that,again if you can't take care of them please do the right thing and take better care in the future

Last edited:
sigh, yeah, i just dont understand the 'surprise' of finding eggs either,....especially in a lizard that is small for its age.

wonder if theyve been seperated now or if its just gonna happen all over again,....

Well it's happened twice already and it's possibly she may already be pregnant again from either retaining the sperm or another mating sesh or should I say raping sesh more like could have happened in the days after the last clutch was layed. Esp coz she is too small I just really hate when this happens,I mean if your keeping an eye out even the most experiences keepers can be caught off guard but the point is to be prepared. Given that she is small though ,she shoul have been sepearated from the male in the first place

Well it's happened twice already and it's possibly she may already be pregnant again from either retaining the sperm or another mating sesh or should I say raping sesh more like could have happened in the days after the last clutch was layed. Esp coz she is too small I just really hate when this happens,I mean if your keeping an eye out even the most experiences keepers can be caught off guard but the point is to be prepared. Given that she is small though ,she shoul have been sepearated from the male in the first place

This is clearly an emotional topic for you but I think raping is a bit out of context as a female that is not receptive to the male, doesn't often get mated. Yes he was unprepared and that was a bit silly, but you've already sufficiently scolded him for that so unless you've got something constructive to add you're just, in essence, repeating yourself

well my situation is:i live half time at my mums, which is where my beardies are, and i got there this week to discover eggs,i have no incubator, and the beardies which layed the eggs is 1 1/2 yrs old and WAY to small for her age, i sifted all the sand to find an old clutch, which must have been layed a while ago, and they were shrivelled and yellow, and upon moving a rock, found another clutch, only a few days old, i straight away called "scales" my local go to petshop and it being 5:00 on a sunday no-one answered, i have had no internet access until now, i am actually posting this at school, any advice? i dont want the eggs to die!?
Hi

Lizard eggs are quite resilient and will readily hatch if incubated in a container, inside the enclosure as long as the temps are around 30 or so...the temps can vary a few degrees each way with no ill effects.
You will need some vermiculite from the hardware or nursery...add water till its damp but not dripping...if you squeeze it and water comes out then its too wet. A chinese food container or the like is good...place the eggs on the vermiculite, put the lid on, put in an area of the cage that is closest to 30 degrees...

In around 2 months you might have some cute babies...I'm sure within that time you will have the appropriate housing and food for the babies..

Good luck
Kelly..:)

Hi

Lizard eggs are quite resilient and will readily hatch if incubated in a container, inside the enclosure as long as the temps are around 30 or so...the temps can vary a few degrees each way with no ill effects.
You will need some vermiculite from the hardware or nursery...add water till its damp but not dripping...if you squeeze it and water comes out then its too wet. A chinese food container or the like is good...place the eggs on the vermiculite, put the lid on, put in an area of the cage that is closest to 30 degrees...

In around 2 months you might have some cute babies...I'm sure within that time you will have the appropriate housing and food for the babies..

Good luck

As touchy as this subject can be, people do have different situations and I feel sad for the lack of knowledge here to begin with, but when he actually came to the forums to seek other's knowledge and advice, all anyone did was have a bit of a go and provide next to no useful information.
I'm glad that someone has actually given this person a helping hand. Isn't that what these forums are all about?

Goodluck with your clutch, no matter what you decide.

@souldoubt I did say something constructive,read my last post! The one you were referring to was a response to someone else,anyway and even if I am repeating myself I really dnt care,I think ppl are too nice.. and from what I've sen the females don't always seem like they want to get mated,I've seen females get angry and bite back and fight before eentually getting pinned where they cnt move or giving up coz there too tired.. To me that didn't seem very pleasant.

@brizii I dnt think my information wasn't useful.. I may have been harsh but I did also give advice on why best to do from the information given to me.. Should I have given him a whole list of how to incubate n all that when to me it clearly seems he was un prepared? I'm really tired of ppl being careless and irresponsible with their pets and then feeligoodng bad when it enevitabably goes wrong.. I also said I didn't kno the full sit and I'msure he does care about em, but also the best thing IF he is not prepared is to give them away/ freeze them and make sure his female is sepearted from the male and given protein and calcium to get her backto health coz she is probz lacking atm an possibly very weak.. Ap I didn't say it nicely enough but I really couldn't care less how it makes me look,whst I care bout is the well being of those animals,and your right he did come on here for help so I hope he is doing something about it to fix an elp prevent this situation in the future

Hopefully @lizardboii will come on here with some better news and his beardies are in good health.. And this will be a learning experience as what not to do.. I'm sire he feels bad and stressed enough, I'm not trying to ad on to that..jst very frustrated..

Last edited:
hey lizardboy i am coming in tomorrow if you would like me to incubate your eggs for you let me know and i can pick them up, and if she has more clutches i can also incubate them for you

its allright guys, i have passed them on to a friend who built an incubator, they are in vermiculite/water on a 20w heat matt with constant misting, the thermostat is set for 30 degrees and the incubator is a foam esky...

sorry bullfrog i only got internet access then, i would have passed them on to you had i seen your post

to sofoula88 im 15, i cant NOT go to my dads, as much as i would like to stay full time with my mum i cant

to chris1 the reason they were housed together i was under the impression they were both the same sex

Hi

Good luck

I'm just adding to my post count here but it is good to see people offering help instead of a lecture/scolding. I understand people care about animals but offer something constructive, not an opinion.

Good on the OP for dealing with things the best you could do, at least now you know you can be better prepared. Don't ever hesitate to ask for help here with anything. Don't worry about a bit of a "flame", everyone was there at one stage which they seem to forget fairly quickly.
All the best anyways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back