New Salamander help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crail4

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi i've just bought a terrestrial salamander it is jet black with lots of grey spots on its underside. i thought it was a metamorphisised axolotl but iv'e kept normal axies before and doesnt seem to look like one.
what substrate is best?
how big should the waterbowl be?
how much food a week?
is a 2ft tank ok?
and some general advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

how can they make a juvenile of an animal legal and the adult metamorph illegal?
i know most axolotls don't naturally morph but there has been a fair amount of incidents where they have.

You can trying looking at "tiger salamander" care-sheets..

i thought it was a metamorphisised axolotl but iv'e kept normal axies before and doesnt seem to look like one.

Of course it doesn't look a normal axolotl if its morphed, that is the whole point everything changes, even the positioning of its eyes.

An Axolotl is what a tadpole is to a frog.

I used to buy them from a place in NSW and sell them. They were morphed Axolotil and I never had never heard of them being illegal!
Paul

I hope I haven't just dobbed myself in!

cheers i know axolotls are larval salamanders but it looks somewhat more like an ambystoma californese of tigirinum i was just wondering i'll try post a pic

cheers i know axolotls are larval salamanders but it looks somewhat more like an ambystoma californese of tigirinum i was just wondering i'll try post a pic

Thats alright i know what you mean, i only recently saw some "salamanders" in a pet shop... and they do look so different to axolotls. The Tiger Salamander i referred to was Ambystoma tigrinum, it apparently has similar enough care needs to cover the care of morphed axos.

This link might help you: Axolotls - Metamorphosed & Tiger Salamanders

Last edited:
I've very recently seen one for sale in Blacktown. Black with yellow spots in a pet shop, I thought they were illigal too....

They are, so if you want to keep them, ask the mods to delete this entire thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back