Parents Dont Understand me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedEyeGirl

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Its been a long time since i posted a thread on APS and i needed some advice from you amazing people ;)

For as long as i have remembered, i have been an animal lover. Since starting high school, this has grown into a passion for agriculture, (i still love my reptiles though!) We have a farm at school and i love it, every morning, recess and lunch i go down and play with the chickens, cattle but especially my sheep, Croc. I love him more than anything in the world!! I love ag so much that some friends and i entered into a contest called Cows Create Careers, where we got to raise 2 dairy calves for three weeks (they just left today) and i have a ball down at the farm.

This passion has grown and i decided that i wanted to become an agricultural vet. I know you will say aww your only young (13) you have many more years, but i love this so much that i know i wont change again.

Upon choosing my electives of year 9, i had to get parental signature. My first choice was Agriculture and when i showed my mum she signed it with a heavy heart. She said that i will go no where in this career and to give up on it. I was upset for the rest of the week. i am so angry that my parents wouldnt even approve of this, they arent strict or anything.

So i need your advice, what do you think i should do about my situation?? Thanks...

Tara aka RedEyeGirl <3 x

Do what YOU want to do :)

You can do alot of things with Agriculture. If you love it, keep doing it!

She said you wouldn't go anywhere????

She's a bit dense. Large animal vets, equine and agricultural alike, are run off their feet most weeks. Learn the skill behind a work a Farrier does, and you'll have work until the day you die. You do what you want to do, and don't listen to her - I listened to my mother and it put me 12k in debt and lead absolutely no where.

I envy that you've found your calling so young. :lol:

Last edited:
Tara, I would be over the moon if my daughter was like you. Thats not nice of her to say that. GO FOR IT. Good luck and keep trying if you love it so much. You can achieve it if you really want to. Your mum should be so proud of you.

hi Tara my daughter also 13 picked ag for sport at her school because yr 8 kids cant do show team. she has know for yrs that she wants to be a vet and she is doing show team and agriculture as electives next yr as these subjects will help her with the career path she has chosen. i am also helping her push for these.
when i was in high school i wanted wood work as a yr 11/12 elective and my mum said no and i like you was so angry.
sit down and explain to your parents why you want this subject and were it can take you. its not an easy one to do the study for this is hard and you need to be committed to it

Agriculture degrees prepare you for work in one of Australia's major industries. Maybe if she talks to the ag teacher at parent teacher night next year she will get a better idea of some of the careers. Meanwhile, google PICSE. It is a website with resources about the science behind primary industries and has a heavy emphasis on agriculture. Your mother may change her mind when she sees the diverse career paths within agriculture. Agricultural science is what we count on to feed the growing world population on increasingly small bits of land. Agricultural scientists genetically engineer crops that protect themselves from pests and discover ways to improve the land while still using it. We need more people like that! Your parents just need a bit more education on the topic.

Agriculture degrees prepare you for work in one of Australia's major industries. Maybe if she talks to the ag teacher at parent teacher night next year she will get a better idea of some of the careers. Meanwhile, google PICSE. It is a website with resources about the science behind primary industries and has a heavy emphasis on agriculture. Your mother may change her mind when she sees the diverse career paths within agriculture. Agricultural science is what we count on to feed the growing world population on increasingly small bits of land. Agricultural scientists genetically engineer crops that protect themselves from pests and discover ways to improve the land while still using it. We need more people like that! Your parents just need a bit more education on the topic.

That's what we are learning in science, genetic engineering. Like how corn was purple and things like that. It a really interesting topic. I love how APS always lifts your spirits, ever since i joined in 2008. xxx

Students often study both Biology and Agriculture when they are interested in vet science. There is good overlap. Agriculture also overlaps with Earth and Environmental Science in the areas of understanding Australia's salinity problems and soil, plus non-chemical pest control. I teach Biology and Earth Science. One of my officemates teaches Agriculture and Biology. Our office is the dirt people - ag and earth.

You know what, you do it! You sound very mature for your age and you show a passion that looks like it is only going to increase. As stated before, ag is a fantastic field to work in and there are so many opportunities. My mother was much the same when I was your age, and unfortunantely I listened to her then, but it has only been in the past few years that I decided to go for it and now I have my degree. Don't ever doubt yourself or let anyone else! I am about to start my prac in a few weeks for high school teaching, and I hope I get at least one student who is as dedicated as you are!

Life is so much better with a passion, and if you can turn that passion into a career, then could you get any happier? especially agriculture I think it is a good area of work and you wouldn't have to much trouble finding work there. remember you're the one who has to live your life, not your parents.

Tara,a little bit about the world that the general public rarely sees are the quite well paid people behind agriculture research.CSIRO Salary example:Research Scientist - Grazing Animal Scientist Salary: $119K - $132K plus up to 15.4% superannuationSlighly of topic example,overseas country buys Australian barramundi fingerlings,sells grown barra back to Australia-how does the general public know considering the gene sequence is the same as Austrailan barra.Thats when highly trained people research and develop tests to separate the small differences between.The world won't be saved by politicians,it will be saved by scientists,chemists,researchers,etc and a whole lot of unnamed people

Thankyou once again. My 2 other friends hae it easy, there parents approve of them an push them forward. I also chose woodwork an oceans alive which is marine bioligy. You guys are so inspirational :')

This passion has grown and i decided that i wanted to become an agricultural vet. I know you will say aww your only young (13) you have many more years, but i love this so much that i know i wont change again.

Upon choosing my electives of year 9, i had to get parental signature. My first choice was Agriculture and when i showed my mum she signed it with a heavy heart. She said that i will go no where in this career and to give up on it. I was upset for the rest of the week. i am so angry that my parents wouldnt even approve of this, they arent strict or anything.

with all due respect, although i commend you for choosing a career path early on and setting goals, it's not to say everything will be smooth sailing, you're mum's reaction is proof of that. Heck i changed career options several times in high school (cz back in Asia we just got a crapload of subjects instead of choosing specific ones, and even then i'm now doing something completely different from what they taught me in high school)

Therefore, if you do want this that much, preserve and fight for it, talk with your parents, explain your career path and employment opportunities, do abit of research into your future career and prove, not only talk about, that you can do it. That way they wont worry too much. After all, parents do worry for their kids alot. That's a good thing.

think this is terrific that you have worked out what you want to do.....

half the battle of doing study is having the fire in your belly to keep going knowing you have a goal at the end.

As has been suggested make sure you overlap with science and maths subjects to keep your options open and work hard...you need good marks to make sure you get inot what you want when you finally have to choose your subjects for your final years

I dont think mum realises how lucky she is you have passion....it makes such a difference !!

I'll just add quickly a lot of people think that "success" is making a lot of money. "Success" for me is being happy, as well as others. I think if you explain that to your mother, she might be a little more supportive.

Yeah i understand that it will be hard work getting good marks, especially on the maths side for me. I have been an english girl. Like in year 6 i got dux of english which is top marks in the whole grade.

Tara its your life not your mums so do as you want with it is your choice and if you want to go and do agriculture dont let anyone stop you.Your mum might say you wont go anywhere you prove her wrong

Best advice i've ever gotten: If you want something to happen, take control of your life and make it happen.

My parents were the same, didn't want me to pursue what i loved out of fear i wouldn't have the life they envisaged for me. In a skewed sort of way your parents are probably just trying to steer you towards what they think is a happy and successful life. But it is your life, and ultimately it should be up to you. I mean who knows, maybe you do change your mind later on when you're a bit older, but if you don't get the chance to test the water now, how would you ever know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back