Parents Dont Understand me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is what you want, then go for it. Now sure if age is really all that important in career discussion making and you have yet to finish school.

My daughter at age 11 decided that she would be a Lawyer. I just figured that ideas come and go, but a Lawyer she want to be and she is now a senior lawyer dealing with some very high profile cases.

Life is so much better with a passion, and if you can turn that passion into a career, then could you get any happier? especially agriculture I think it is a good area of work and you wouldn't have to much trouble finding work there. remember you're the one who has to live your life, not your parents.
plus one, l couldn't agree more.....but remember your parents only want the best for you....l have a saying (people who work a passion DON'T wear a watch......solar 17 (Baden)

She signed it with a heavy heart.BUT she still signed it. I think your mum is pretty special. You are one lucky girl. I would of just been told 'NO" and that was the end of that.

She signed it with a heavy heart.BUT she still signed it. I think your mum is pretty special. You are one lucky girl. I would of just been told 'NO" and that was the end of that.

Thankyou :) I appreciate what all of you people have said to try and fix this for me. :) :) :)

Maybe you could get your parents some literature on the subject and ask them to read it, to show them what is involved, that may help to change their minds. Unfotunately some parents want what they think is best for their children, whereas you are the one who ultimately has to live your life independantly of them.....if it's a mistake, then you'll have plenty of time to change to a new career or line of study. To them you are their baby, they love you very much but....they have to start to let go and let you make your own decisions, even at your age....it's hard for them. So be gentle with them, but make sure you let them know this is really what you want.....be gentle, but firm. Good luck.

I am sure your Mother didnt think before she spoke, upon further research I am sure she would change her heavy heartedness. Perhaps you could show her the pros of your choice :) Parents can sometimes be pre-occupied with other issues and dont always think before they speak(we are not perfect lol)Yours is not the usual professional choice for most teens to aspire to. I feel personally it is an underrated field. Good on you for having goals
Crystal

I teach Agriculture, I went to an Agricultural University (the best in the world I might add), I studied soils and then physics (with an Environmental edge) and - the house that I can see from my back window was purchased with money that was gained from the sale of a $20 million dairy farm...

Well... There's some money in Agriculture if you're in the right spot (and it so happens dairying in South Otago is a pretty good spot).

Good luck... :)

If that's what you want to do, then go for it.
I've known I wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember. I've had a few different jobs along the way, but now I'm nearly at the end of my veterinary degree.
There are heaps of jobs as an agricultural vet - they're crying out for vets in rural areas, as everyone wants to work with dogs and cats and stay in the cities. There are also heaps of agricultural government veterinary jobs, to do with monitoring for exotic diseases and tyring to prevent them getting in to the country, and dealing with them when they do.
If this is what you want to do, then go for it and don't let anyone, not even your parents, hold you back. Many people told me I wasn't smart enough to ever get in to vet science. Well I'm here and nearly finished, and haven't failed anything! If you want something badly enough, then you'll put in the effort to do it.
If you one day decide that vet isn't what YOU want to do, then it is ok to change your mind. But only if it's your decision. To make major life decisions based on someone else is definitely not a good idea. You Mum isn't going to be there when you go off to uni to study, or when you start your first job. She'll be living her own life, as she has been all theses years, and you should live yours. She isn't the one who has to enjoy the job, you are.

Life is always easier if your parents support you in what you do. It would be good if you could get them on side. Definitely do some research into it, or attend career days, and show your parents what it's all about.

Also, if you continue with agriculture, but decide to go into a field other than vet, they are also desperate for skilled workers on farms. I have friends working as jackaroos and jillaroos, and they love it!

Whatever you end up doing, it will be hard work, and there will be obstacles.

No one ever said life would be easy, but they did say that it would be worth it!!!

As a parent I think that we try to do what is best for our children. Sounds to me like there is a reson why your parents are upset about your choice. Worse thing you can do is be angry at them without knowing the reason. If you are serious about your studies - show them! Research your future career and explain where this can take you. By talking to them about it, not only does that show that you are mature but are ready to make your own choices. Afterall you are only 13 and to your parents you are still their little girl and they want whats only best for you and your future. Good luck:))))

I can totally understand why your parents are so reluctant. I used to want to be a vet, big animals or small. But I went to an Ag school and did the courses and turns out, most of it is actually quite cruel to the animals, and hard work. I decided not to become a vet because half the time is actually spent trying to tell the humans that own the animals how to do it better and not as much to do with the animals at all. I've taken the horses to the vets and had to help while they fixed broken jaws and cleaned teeth, I've had to follow a foal around for an hour with a drip trying to stop her from pulling it out. I've helped deliver calves and foals, looked after little lambs without mothers. It can be very rewarding, but at 13 you don't really know how hard it can be. I had a whole 6 acre farm planned at 13, sheep, cows, horses, goats, chickens, you name it I was going to breed it. I knew how much room they needed, what could go wrong at births, what not to feed them. I was going to be a farm vet and make lots of money helping the sick animals, delivering babies, doing scans on pregnant animals. At 16 my father said I was too young to board at Ag school and I was devistated. At 17 he finally said I could go, and you know what, it was the most boring place ever. The farm was awesome I'll give it that, but there was still all the normal classes, plus a few classes on business, learning about how to grow an animal as fast as possible to make the most money out of it, testing on soils for planting times to make the most of the wet/dry seasons. I'm not saying by any means you should give up, but if you really are passionate about it, maybe waiting until you've gotten past puberty and the whole emotional dilemmas of normal social life would be a better option. If not, then just understand how hard it will be and how much less it is about the welfare of animals, as it is about making money. Farmers honestly don't care as long as their stock can pay itself off.

I can totally understand why your parents are so reluctant. I used to want to be a vet, big animals or small. But I went to an Ag school and did the courses and turns out, most of it is actually quite cruel to the animals, and hard work. I decided not to become a vet because half the time is actually spent trying to tell the humans that own the animals how to do it better and not as much to do with the animals at all. I've taken the horses to the vets and had to help while they fixed broken jaws and cleaned teeth, I've had to follow a foal around for an hour with a drip trying to stop her from pulling it out. I've helped deliver calves and foals, looked after little lambs without mothers. It can be very rewarding, but at 13 you don't really know how hard it can be. I had a whole 6 acre farm planned at 13, sheep, cows, horses, goats, chickens, you name it I was going to breed it. I knew how much room they needed, what could go wrong at births, what not to feed them. I was going to be a farm vet and make lots of money helping the sick animals, delivering babies, doing scans on pregnant animals. At 16 my father said I was too young to board at Ag school and I was devistated. At 17 he finally said I could go, and you know what, it was the most boring place ever. The farm was awesome I'll give it that, but there was still all the normal classes, plus a few classes on business, learning about how to grow an animal as fast as possible to make the most money out of it, testing on soils for planting times to make the most of the wet/dry seasons. I'm not saying by any means you should give up, but if you really are passionate about it, maybe waiting until you've gotten past puberty and the whole emotional dilemmas of normal social life would be a better option. If not, then just understand how hard it will be and how much less it is about the welfare of animals, as it is about making money. Farmers honestly don't care as long as their stock can pay itself off.

Just for some perspective - this is a high school class in agriculture we're talking about, not paid work or a boarding school. In the long run it's not really going to matter if it turns out it's not for her, however it what it will do is allow her to be better equipped to make that choice later on.

I know I'm just saying that she will still have to do all this as well, and I've been through all that, so I can see why her parents would be concerned if she then decides on something else. Don't forget if the parents won't pay then unless she gets a job it won't happen regardless. As much as they may love you and probably do want to support you, they aren't always an endless supply of funding. Maybe a serious talk with the parents may bring out why 'they don't understand' and they might all feel a bit better about the whole situation.

Fear that a future career may not work out seems to me like a poor excuse to prevent the most basic, elementary study of the field. But that's just my opinion.

Most parents want what's best for their kids, and you're right fear of it not working out is no excuse for stopping anyone trying something they feel they want to do. I think a proper talk would be beneficial for both sides, as it may not be that they don't understand they might just feel it's not in her best interests to be studying something they think may be unnecessary.

The amount of times I thought my parents didn't understand when they actually knew more about it than I did...

When I was 6, I wanted to be a carpet layer. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a solicitor. Then I went to uni and studied IT. I worked in that field for a while and now I've done an apprenticeship and I'm a boilermaker now at 28.

Just some food for thought

Stuff your parents. Do what YOU want to do! It is your life, not theirs. And they signed it - Yay! You're smart, so you'll easily prove them wrong. Even if you change your mind of what career you want to do by the end of high school, who cares? Enjoy the present ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back