ackie temp, how hot is too hot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalboy

Reaction score
hey
after a long wait i have my ackie coming next week.
i was just getting everything ready and i realized my hotspot gets to the high 70s
i know its really close to the recomended temp but i was wondering if this may harm my monitor?
thanks for the help again
looking forward to seeing my new member of the collection:D

try and get a gradient going you can try making a tile stack by piling a stack of tiles and putting bits of timber between them so there are different levels of heat, he can then choose the tempature he wants. Just make sure everything is secure!

I dont know what my temps sit at BUT like Varanidae said watch their behaviour and they will tell you.
If they are not basking under the light ,too hot
If they a trying to get closer, too cold
i think 60ish would be a bit better, but i monitors amaze me if i put my hand under their light my arm burns but they will sit under it all day its crazy :D make sure you post some pictures:p

he wont sit under it if its too hott it wont harm them

For a hatchie ackie, I would suggest getting around 50-60 degrees. Try and make the stack further away from the light or change the light to a different wattage. What wattage do you have on?

I also would have thought 60[SUP]o[/SUP]C would have been as hot as you would want to get.

The stack mentioned (also known as a Retes stack) can be constructed entirely of wood. Use 3 cm square battens nailed in around the edges to separate the thin sheets of wood. The battens can be placed around 3 edges to allow access and exit via the fourth side. Or you can just leave a small gap or two that does likewise and helps to trap the heat. The original design has a hole drilled through the middle of each sheets (probably 5 cm – 10 cm depending on the size of the monitors. Six or so levels are usual.

FYI: Frank Retes of Goanna Ranch in the US is the person who popularised their use. However, he did not come up with the concept and is unhappy about people using his name when referring to them.

thanks for the help guys
i have a stack setup already
and i have done plenty of research
i just moved the light and it fixed the problem
now all thats left is to wait for my new monitor to arrive and settle in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back