Anyone had a tattoo done in Thailand?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black.Rabbit

Reaction score
I'm going to Thailand in November with a bunch of friends, it has been tradition for me to get a new tattoo every time I head overseas (with the exception of PNG because I was 9 and Fiji because we were never in an area that had a decent studio).

I'd like to get one in Thailand, however I am a little cautious as to which studios are reputable. I am heading to Phuket for 2 nights and Railay Beach (in Krabi) for 9 nights. A couple of us want to head up to Bangkok for a night or two but it hasn't been decided yet.

Does anyone know of a decent studio in these areas, preferably around Krabi??

(I've googled a few studios but I would be more inclined to go by word of mouth....)

Cheers :)

It's ok if you see everything in sterile bags and the use new needles.

I'm going to Thailand in November with a bunch of friends, it has been tradition for me to get a new tattoo every time I head overseas (with the exception of PNG because I was 9 and Fiji because we were never in an area that had a decent studio).

I'd like to get one in Thailand, however I am a little cautious as to which studios are reputable. I am heading to Phuket for 2 nights and Railay Beach (in Krabi) for 9 nights. A couple of us want to head up to Bangkok for a night or two but it hasn't been decided yet.

would'nt you just get one in australia just to be safe and stuff, you wouldnt wont your holiday to be recked if you get a disease and have to come home.....

in phuket in thailand, theres an australian tattoo shop there , they have numerous awards and the place is schmick, dad got a few tats there last year for the fun of it n they are fine, look better then his old ones, also my bestmate got half sleeve last year in bali n going back soon for the rest, im considering going there to complete my sleeve but i have a mate lined up

Be careful, all the ones I've seen are rubbish. I'm sure thats not always the case but personally I wouldn't take the risk.

A mate of mine got a cheap one that has about half of the words spelt wrong...

Jimmy Wong has a studio in bangkok @ MBK. some nice work has come from there and alot of famous people have got tattoos there also.

I can't recommend any tattoo places, but did spend around 4 weeks travelling that area. We arrived in Krabi and spent a few days in that area (Railay, Ao nang etc) before heading up the coast to spend a few days in Khao Sok National Park.

Ended up changing our plans to head up to Bangkok in lieu of spending more time down in the Railay area, absolutely gorgeous. You'll have a blast :)

Railay is beautiful but if you get a bit sick of the crowds, try heading to Tonsai. One beach over (you can walk across headland at low'ish tide - follow the line), and a totally different feel. Very relaxed and friendly, also some of the best climbing you will get around there, but water can be a bit shallow to swim at low. That's where we decided to spend the last week, and loved it.

Also highly recommend the massaman curry at Sand n Sea resort in Railay West (I think it's west...the expensive side with sunset views...)

Anyway, good luck with the trip and tattoo, but in my experience you would be better off getting it in Phuket...but I intentionally avoided phuket like the plague so can't give any more info :)

If your going to get tatooed in Thialand or Asia just be very careful otherwise you will get more than you exspected

I've see people coming into the emergency room many times who have had their tats done in both Thailand and Bali - always at "reputable places" that they "checked out well". Whilst I am yet to see someone come back with a strage disease following a tat, they do often get bad reactions to the cheap dye that they use. Some so much so that I have referred them to get the tattoo cut out.

A mate of mine had one done a couple of years ago. It looked ok for the first few months, but now it looks like a six year old attacked him with crayolas. My ink is fifteen years old, done by a shop in Melb and honestly you couldn't compare the two.

Obviously I am aware of the risks associated with being tattooed in Thailand, which is why I posted, to get a point of view from people who have actually HAD one done there, as obviously, they're the ones with the most valid opinions.

in phuket in thailand, theres an australian tattoo shop there , they have numerous awards and the place is schmick, dad got a few tats there last year for the fun of it n they are fine, look better then his old ones, also my bestmate got half sleeve last year in bali n going back soon for the rest, im considering going there to complete my sleeve but i have a mate lined up

Thanks for that, I'll look into it.

Railay is beautiful but if you get a bit sick of the crowds, try heading to Tonsai. One beach over (you can walk across headland at low'ish tide - follow the line), and a totally different feel. Very relaxed and friendly, also some of the best climbing you will get around there, but water can be a bit shallow to swim at low. That's where we decided to spend the last week, and loved it.

Also highly recommend the massaman curry at Sand n Sea resort in Railay West (I think it's west...the expensive side with sunset views...)

Anyway, good luck with the trip and tattoo, but in my experience you would be better off getting it in Phuket...but I intentionally avoided phuket like the plague so can't give any more info :)

Thanks for that Bastones :) I'm heading over with a big group for my best mates husbands' 40th, we're a pack of climbers so its perfect :D

I'll let my friend know about Tonsai for sure. We are planning to do quite a bit apart from climbing (where the boys will be the majority of the time).

If you don't mind me asking, where did you stay? Trip advisor only has the Diamond resort place and it has some of the worst reviews I have ever seen on Trip advisor, so we're a little in the dark on where to stay, wanted to spend the least amount as possible.

Will only be in Phuket for 2 days, didn't want to spend a lot of time there either, will be interesting to head over to Bangkok, and if we do it'll only be for curiosity sake.

My Hubby and I got ours done in Thailand but Koh Samui. Had no problem and would do it again. As my husband was getting a sleeve and mine was only a little one, he ended up doing mine for free. His was 1/2 price. But please do research first as, there is a lot of boggy places but there are also many good ones! And ofcourse make sure they use new needles:) Good luck

Obviously I am aware of the risks associated with being tattooed in Thailand, which is why I posted, to get a point of view from people who have actually HAD one done there, as obviously, they're the ones with the most valid opinions.

its gonna be abit imbalanced since the ones who can give reviews are the ones who survived :p

(lol sorry, couldn't resist, looong day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back