Anyone had a tattoo done in Thailand?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If its cheap don't do it, it doesn't matter what country your in. Check their portfolio, but be careful they are sneaky rotten little guys, i've seen portfolios of thai guys that had photos of paul booths work in it.. New needles don't mean S%$# if their setup is inadequate, cross contamination is just as bad as using dirty needles.

If its cheap don't do it, it doesn't matter what country your in. Check their portfolio, but be careful they are sneaky rotten little guys, i've seen portfolios of thai guys that had photos of paul booths work in it.. New needles don't mean S%$# if their setup is inadequate, cross contamination is just as bad as using dirty needles.

I'll be suss about it all... I already came across a website for a studio, that featured some tattoo's that I have seen in my tattoo magazines. I'd only want to go to one that's recommended by people who have been there.

I'm not about to go get one done at a random place just for the sake of it, if I can't find somewhere I am 100% confident in, I won't get it done. :)

I got this one done at Side Road Tattoo in Chiang Mai (in the North so not much use to you). Found him using Google, there are plenty of online review sites if memory serves. Best souvenir I could have gotten and my favorite tatt.

tatt.jpg

Thanks for that Bastones :) I'm heading over with a big group for my best mates husbands' 40th, we're a pack of climbers so its perfect :D

I'll let my friend know about Tonsai for sure. We are planning to do quite a bit apart from climbing (where the boys will be the majority of the time).

If you don't mind me asking, where did you stay? Trip advisor only has the Diamond resort place and it has some of the worst reviews I have ever seen on Trip advisor, so we're a little in the dark on where to stay, wanted to spend the least amount as possible.

Will only be in Phuket for 2 days, didn't want to spend a lot of time there either, will be interesting to head over to Bangkok, and if we do it'll only be for curiosity sake. [/COLOR]

I was travelling with a friend of mine and we had the luxury of not having anything booked, so we were able to look around a lot of the places before committing to any one of them. Our first time on the island we ended up at what I think was something like Cabana Railay, a bit up in the valley. Very basic and from memory 500bht, we probably could have done better with price but after days of travelling we just wanted to stop moving, and our first choices nearby wouldn't be available til people left the next morning. Cabana Railay was pretty basic, but it was quiet, the people were nice and overall it did the job. However that area up in the valley ended up being a very nice suprise, and a good escape from the big resorts. Met a few local at the on-site bar that night and ended up doing a days climbing with them on the cliffs in the valley the next day, nice views and friendly instructors.

We did move to a hotel just next door the next night, also 700bht from memory but a room not a bungalow. They had been unavailable the night before, but was a nice upgrade as the rooms had some nice views down the valleys and cliffs. Both of these hotels are positioned just before the start of the jungle trek through to tonsai (the long way!), can easily check the names tonight. There are a few up there though, these site has a few that would have done the job. Railay Beach guesthouses. Find the best guesthouses and hostels in Railay Beach, Thailand with Travelfish.org.

Comared to the approximately 2000-3000bht per night for the big resorts, we just couldn't justify it. We spent most of our days out doing things, so who needs a pool at the resort when you are out snorkelling the islands? We still sampled most of the restaurants on the island, and didn't feel like we missed out on anything by not staying right on the beach. Plus it was nice having the views and a quieter vibe to escape to.

When we went back to Railay both of these places were booked so we made the decision to trek through to tonsai. Fell in love with the area straight away. Accomodation can be found really cheap if you are willing to go pretty basic, but we stuck around that 700bht range, although I think we then got a discount since we booked for a few days...but that was probably some of the most expensive we found in Tonsai. I'm fairly sure there were rooms down to around 300bht, but quite a few places were booked out. This area was a climbers haven, and had a strong amount of long term travellers who helped at various places, including as instructors so there was some good knowledge around. We had some great views of the hard runs at the north end of the beach from our room, but those were beyond my abilities. Easiest way to negotiate the area would just be to walk around and see what's available, they will nearly always let you inspect the room first.

The disadvantage to Tonsai is that the power was shut off from around 6:30am-5:30pm (or something like that...), i think due it's remoteness and having to conserve the generated power. Once again, not something that was a very big deal. Just had to make sure you charged anything you wanted at night, but otherwise they still had an internet cafe available during the day. Wasn't much else you needed power for, but something to keep in mind. Especially if it was a particular hot part of the year.

Off the cliffs at the beach you will also sometimes see base jumpers doing their thing after they have got up the big wall.

Anyway, shall dig out those names tonight....but thats probably more than enough info so i'll just stop there :) Otherwise send me a PM if you're after any more info, fair bit more assorted stuff tucked away in there.

I`ve had my full back done plus 3/4 sleeves on both arms in Phuket over the last 3 years.The guy that I went to was fantastic. Very clean set up. Cleaner than some of the ones I`ve seen here. All the needles have been brand new and I`m going back in Feb to get the other half of my cheat done. The name of the shop is Aussinc. It`s situated up near the Otop market on the main road 3 minutes walk from the beach. The guys name is Eddy.Highly recomend.

I'd think again Equinny that's a big risk imo. If you do make sure they at least have an autoclave not that that's going to be proof they used it. So many great artists here not sure why you'd get one there. If it's because you all are going away for a celebration you could all do it here. Good luck.

Anyone see that geelong cats fan that got a tat in thailand or bali, he planned it all out for them drawing what he wanted on each arm, and the tattooist did exactly what he had written down........including 'right arm' and 'left arm'. I'll have a look on the net for it

Apprently the quality of inks many places use are poor and fade very quickly

Found it - Tattooist takes Cats fan's request literally | Herald Sun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back