CO2 gas set ups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a pretty big Culling container Winny111...

I am sure it would take a bit of CO2 to kill the mice/rats.....

Hi Guys
Just found this thread and thought I would add to it.

Yep CO2 from BOC and use a control valve, the sort that can give you precise litres per min. There is a calculation used for the tub size and the litres a min. I worked mine out a while back and it was 5 litres a min for 2 mins and the jobs done.
My mice literally fall asleep and never wake back up again. No bleeding from the lungs, no jumping around in the tub when the gas is on, works a treat and is extremely quick.
The pinkies I leave a little longer in the tub beore I remove the lid to make sure as the little critters must be able to hold their breath!

Jenny

Or go to your local beer brew shops, like $170-$240 for a 2.6L co2 bottle, then when its empty, you just take back, instant swap for $25-35. No waiting.

We have the soda stream set up. We get a snap lock bag, put the rodents in it, seal it up with the co2 tube in the corner, squirt squirt, 10 dead mice in about 20 seconds. I have just started breeding my own rats, so dont know how the snap lock bag will go with bigger rodents... I am going to go to BOC as soon as my soda stream bottle/s run out and get a tank of Co2.

interesting question ! so does anyone know how to do it the ''right way'' ? -

i buy rodent iceblocks and had never realised that the blood from the mouth (once defrosted) could indicate that they hadn't been gassed 'properly' if i knew how it should be done properly i would seriously consider breeding my own to ensure they did have a happier ending.

I copied the idea of using a sistema container because i thought that they were airtight.
Looks like they aint...

[video=youtube_share;JyBUo0PIO00]http://youtu.be/JyBUo0PIO00[/video]

CO2 is heavier than air and so sinks. It will only overtop the top of the container once the container is full of Co2 so an airtight container is not necessary. I used to use an open garge can to gas rodents. As for stress and panic, i have never observed that. I guess it may occur if the co2 is intruded too slowly, but my observation is that the rodents go to sleep in seconds and never wake up.

If your worried about stress and panic of your mice and rats. Why not gas them with Nitrous.
Awesome stuff. Also known as laughing gas and the stuff in the whipped cream bottle.
Catering supply stores sell "bulbs" of it for around 30c each.
One bulb contains around 2 litres of compress gas which would be plenty enough to fill up a click clack box.
Buy a whipped cream dispenser also (ebay it) for approx $30 and hook it up like a soda stream.
And you got yourself a gaser.
If you decide you don't like the setup. Just inhale the left over gas of whip some cream :)
Far cheaper than hiring CO2 or buying.
Probably more enjoyable for the mice too.

hubby is in the process of setting one up. for starters i think that his container is too big (he's using an old esky) and second of all he wants to use the old fire extinguishers from his work. now it says that there is nothing other than co2 in there, what do you guys reckon? oh, and hwen i say old ones, i mean the ones that were let off by mistake and what not.

Don't fire extinguishers release the gas really really fast? That would completely freak the animals out. Newbs used to use plastic bags and C02 from a pipeline at work, we had to let the gas in slowly because if it was introduced too fast it scared the mice and they would panic. Personal preference is cervical dislocation. free, easy, fast.

he's done somethign with tubes and what not so its released slowly. and its not see through either which concerns me. although the silly bugger stuck his head in it, released the gas to test and said it stung his nose :S

Ummm I have just started breeding and killing my own rats for consumption of my pythons. I have found it extremely hard as my career involves saving animals not killing them........
So with that in mind, I did alot of research on what was the most humane method of dispatching rodents. And also what was the Qld guidelines for euthanasing rodents.
Ok - anything under two weeks should have its head cut off not gassed.....yes I know it does not work for those of us that use them for feeding, so second best either hit on head or whack against corner of a brick or someother hard substance, or hold rodent firmly, place rular/wood behind back of head and then yank tail down and out sharpley.
Anything over two weeks of age, CO2 is accepatable, I use the soda stream method. A soda stream machine, a short piece if O2 pipeing which I melted into the box so there was no gaps, two pumps puts them unconscious and hence unaware, two more pumps and they are dead within five mins withoout gaining conscious. To buy the whole out fit cost me $60 for machine and it included two drink bottles so I also make fizzy drink too, ($5.25 for syrup which makes 12lits, omly need tap H2o), to refill Co2 bottle if you take to BW info desk and ask for a swap it will cost you about $11 and last for about two plus months..., plastic box cost $1.40, piping left over at work, well thats the easy part - dispatching them, the costs of breeding and feeding are completely different;-)

i have a tube going in the bottom and a tube going out the top to let the air out. I put the air tube in a glass of water and it tells me how much co2 im letting into the container and assures me that no air can be left in there. because the sistema wont seal im getting nothing coming out the air tube. sort of like this one:
[video=youtube_share;jnyOANmuc9M]http://youtu.be/jnyOANmuc9M[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back