Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OH my..Your all a joke look at you all!! half of you aren't even on topic. Fact is, there illegal, and will always be illegal. Face up to it and stop trying to help a messed up breed, and its messed up owners!

Actually they are NOT illegal, they are a restricted breed, it is still legal to own them under specific guidelines! So the joke my friend is on you! Many people have forgotten however that the banning of a specific animal because it has the potential to do harm or perhaps even kill is only one step away from banning some of the reptiles that many people keep or want to keep for exactly the same reasons! It's time people actually took some degree of responsibility for actions and stopped looking for someone or something else to blame.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if people in Australia want to keep them then it should be the people doing the right thing's responcibility to ensure they dont get in the hands of the wrong people. Otherwise I think we need a couple of thousand gun shots across the country to bring this problem under control!

Banning of venomous reptiles, please, how many reptiles get out and kill or attack other people. Venomous reptiles are a primary danger to their keeper, pity its not the same with the dogs.

I am not really a dog person so forgive me if I ask a silly question

So many times in this thread it has been stated as fact that dogs cannot lock their jaws
Years ago I had to use a tyre lever to remove some type of bulldog from a kids leg
If it wasnt 'locked' it was doing a pretty good impression

Actually the primary people affected by dogs are the owners and their families, just like keeping a venomous snake in a collection. It is not common for a dog to escape from a yard and cause a death....and how many threads have you seen "help my snake has escaped" so it then poses a threat to others if it is a venomous snake!

---

Let's go for another knee jerk reaction and ban German Shepherds because of todays incident......or maybe hold the owner responsible and give them a real consequence for the actions of the animals they own!!

---

Last edited:
Just thought this might cheer things up a little :)

killer.jpg

Most common breed causing severe bodily harm is the Labrador. Lets ban them??

and your source is? This thread is getting pretty much a back slapping session, When does Alan Jones arrive?

Lonqi, they have very strong jaws with tremendous muscle strength but no locking system.

In NSW, they are a restricted breed. This means that they are not permitted to be advertised for sale or bred. If you currently own it then you can keep it. These are the only restrictions. It does mean, however, if everyone did the right thing, the breed would eventually disappear in NSW.

The restrictions to the way you house/keep your dog only come into place if you have had a 'dangerous dog' order placed on your animal by council. This may occur if your dog has attacked or killed another animal or bitten a member of public etc. In this case, the animal must wear a fluro yellow or pink heavy duty leather collar and be enclosed in "run" when kept at home in the yard. The run has minimum size restrictions. It must also gave a concrete floor, locked door and a roof. These are to ensure the dog cannot dig out, jump out or be accidentally let out.

Fines for not complying with restricted breed legislation can be up to $16000.

Not complying with dangerous dog orders cab result in similar fines and the dog being destroyed.

The argument over which dog is more dangerous is ridiculous, you can quote stats all day, but in the end it is easy to manipulate figures to prove a point.

No offence but that is a terrible excuse, usually used by people who have absolutely no rebuttal. In this case there have been a number of reports shown (all with very similar and seemingly conclusive findings, mind you) and all everyone can seem to come up with in response to them is that 'you can use figures to prove anything' or 'people do not represent the breed properly', or even 'that dog attack / fatality report is biased'. It's the oldest excuse in the book and it's used by every person on here defending the pit bull. Please present some sort of evidence.
Once again my position is regulation and qualification, not a ban.

Problem is, the councils have the right to 'identify' your dog as a 'dangerous breed' even if you have papers stating otherwise, if they think it even remotely looks like one they can fine you for not having it registered as one, fine you for not having it locked up, and can even take it away.

Problem is, the councils have the right to 'identify' your dog as a 'dangerous breed' even if you have papers stating otherwise, if they think it even remotely looks like one they can fine you for not having it registered as one, fine you for not having it locked up, and can even take it away.

In NSW they cannot. The reasons there are still so many pitbulls are is the fact that people register them as staffyX on the microchipping paperwork and get away with it. Unless it looks like a pure bred red nose pitbull it can be extremely hard to prove its not just some sort of "staffy x" as the pit bull breeds, amstaffs etc all have similar heritage. Therefore, the owner can defend the fact that it is simply a staffy x of some description and just happens to look like a pitbull.

OMG.... now this is just getting out of hand!!!!!!!!! the REALITY is that they are and will be Slammed as dangerous and banned breed.

STOP pointing the finger to other breeds!! and YOU will not be able to stop the fact. no matter how cute or calm the dog is. and all my life i have not herd of any other breed of dog killing a person.! * there might have been but i havent herd or seen it*

When that girl died from the pitty attack, i had someone say to me it was probally her fault for teaseing it.! thats bull, it was in there yard when it shouldnt have been and it GOD DAMM KILLED HER!!! can't yous get it threw your head's?? Just think if yous have little kids. one day they dog might turn on them and you wont be able to save the kid.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think about it hard.!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I read that on a Victorian site, sorry. I only remember because I found it appalling that they could go against what official papers you have and make up their own minds, which would be terrible if you had a few people on the council who decided they hated pitbulls and wanted them gone.

Like him ^

And actually Coastalboy it was in their house, now I would love to know who lets a neighbour's dog into their house to be alone with a four year old child huh?

OMG.... now this is just getting out of hand!!!!!!!!! the REALITY is that they are and will be Slammed as dangerous and banned breed.

STOP pointing the finger to other breeds!! and YOU will not be able to stop the fact. no matter how cute or calm the dog is. and all my life i have not herd of any other breed of dog killing a person.! * there might have been but i havent herd or seen it*

When that girl died from the pitty attack, i had someone say to me it was probally her fault for teaseing it.! thats bull, it was in there yard when it shouldnt have been and it GOD DAMM KILLED HER!!! can't yous get it threw your head's?? Just think if yous have little kids. one day they dog might turn on them and you wont be able to save the kid.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think about it hard.!
It actually chased some other kids that were out on the street into their house if you want to get technical, also, it was a crossbreed for a start off, it could have been 1/10th pitbull and the media would still be saying it was a pitbull. As for the little kids statement, my youngest son was three when I had a pure pitbull and 5 when I had a cross. My daughter-in-law grew up with pitbulls, as did my grandson and granddaughter so don't make assumptions. There is an aboriginal mission in Nambucca heads that can get pretty dodgy at times, pitbulls and staffies are the only two breeds of dogs they trust with their kids. You quite often see little kids walking round the mission with there dogs in tow. There has never been one attack on a child there by a human or a dog, ever, and they have been using those types of dogs for years and years, probably longer than you've been alive so keep your uneducated opinions out of it until you can back them up with real facts, not media generated propaganda.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the news it said they were in their back yard when the dog came over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back