Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get multiple different versions depending on the channel you watch it on the media loves beating these things up more than what they are and im in no way saying this wasnt a bad situation only that they will take something anything small and make it huge they dont wanna rub people the wrong way so to keep the masses happy they bring stories that are on a safe line for them ie. bigger issues poodle bites kid and people are going to think pff what ever kid probably pissed it off and deserved it but kid bitten by pitbull well now we have people listening and it fuels the hate for the hatters.
And Australis i see what your saying but honestly i think death stats from America while valid really doesnt apply so much here when they have a huge cult following over there and they are used in alot more violent ways over there ie dog fights yes they get used for that here but its far more common in USA and by the undesiarables we have breeds here they dont they show up high in bites records but again i think any bite info is not a fare way to look at these breeds no matter what they are as is stated pitbulls and larger breeds will inflict bad bites hence more commenly reported bites from smaller breed far less likely my sister had a border collie and it bit there friends kid no major damage and the parents weren't that worried about it but my sister put the dog down that dog was bought as a pup and brought up with her and 6 kids and was never abused or miss treated it was around 4 when it bit and only a few weeks ago a friends border collie tried to bite my leg when i left the property even with the owner there the dog was a fear bitter due to the previous owners miss treatment and this dog is still alive and still has the same issues to this day same breed 2 different up bringings same results one had a responsable owner doing the right thing the other not this is the real difference and and both of these where not reported every breed has potential to attack just some are reported more than others all that needs to be done is better regulation of these breeds owners and how they are kept and tuffer penalties for people that have a known dangerous dog no matter the breed that dont take measures to prevents attacks happening.

Interesting video. They say "don't listen to the media hype, listen to the breeders". The breeders are fine, it's the red-necks idiots who buy them from the breeders because they need a status symbol - to "express" themselves. They are the ones with small d***s and equally small brains.
But they can't be banned, can they!

Thanks for posting that ssssnakeman.
There were some beautiful dogs there that SO reminded me of mine! I do still miss them, ten years later.
The actions of the minority shouldn't dictate or determine the future for the rest.
I can't support genocide, and that appears to be what is being promoted. This will always be an emotional argument for many, and it's a great thing that we all have our opinions and that we can express them. I lost count of the number of times I had to verbally defend my dogs over the 8 - 9 years that I had them. Funny thing is that most of the time they won they argument themselves, because they were just lovely with people and were so well behaved.

Next time I see a news article where any other animal has attacked a human, I wonder how many people will be wanting to "ban" that animal?

Perhaps guys, we just need to agree to disagree.

Interesting video. They say "don't listen to the media hype, listen to the breeders". The breeders are fine, it's the red-necks idiots who buy them from the breeders because they need a status symbol - to "express" themselves. They are the ones with small d***s and equally small brains.
But they can't be banned, can they!
Reputable breeders, as you know yourself, are usually able to spot an idiot buying an animal for the wrong reasons very quickly.

Im quite amused at those who think Pitties are more dangerous because they have 'lock jaw'....

Lockjaw in dogs is just a Myth, it is scientifically proven that a pitbulls jaw is no different to any other breed of dog. Be it a Chi or a sibe etc..

The truth is, before dog fighting pitties were used as gripping dogs with bullbaiting. In which they would grip and hold the bull by the nose, ears or neck and wait for it to drop.

The structure and function of the pit is no different to any other breed.

Its just a shame that when bullbaiting was banned, idiots that owned the breed discovered dogfighting. And the pit was highly prized because of its jaw strength.

I watch this topic closely, and when things get hot, we will close it before people start fighting here and friendship between members get affected. We know that there is lot of pitbull owners who love they pets and we don't really want to hurt them. I personally think that this breed is not best choice for domestic pet in suburban environment. But I don't have one of them also. That is why this is easy to say it for me. I know few people who do have this dogs in outback and use them for hunting. I think that they choose this breed for that purpose for reason. I also can imagine that they are lovely pets and great with kids and people in most cases. But in case something go wrong and dog get crazy for any reason, I prefer this dog to be Maltese terrier. And they are cases when things can go wrong for many reason.

20 pages about a possible ban on a dog that will resolve NO issues and have NO effect whatsoever on what the government may choose, wether they ban the breed (not going to happen). What needs to happen is potential pet owners (of most breeds)need to have met a certain criteria to meet the requirements of each breed, so that ultimately the breed of the dog benefits and also to phase out some of the scum that own these pets for the wrong reason. I have grown up being responsible for the pets I house and relate to the motto "housing pets is a priveledge, not a right!) This topic is getting old and if you cant get it into your head that if you cant be responsible for your pets, no matter the possible actions they may cause (eg mauling and death) and the ultimate penalty time you may spend in jail for negligence and fail of meeting the rights for the benefit of the the pet, society and your own wellbeing than dont get one (simple)

Can we please move on

I would love to own an APBT. Hopefully i will be able to one day. They are such beautiful looking dogs.

Some people are so ignorant. It's not the breed, it's the owner. If you treat any dog badly or don't socialize it and lock it up, then there is a higher risk of it becoming aggressive. I do not believe dog attack statistics, since most times numerous breeds are lumped under the "pit bull" label (including cross breeds). That is not right.
Everytime there's a dog attack involving a "pit bull" (even though a lot of the time it's not or is a cross breed) it's straight on the news. But what about all the other dog attacks that happen? They're rarely reported. Oh that's right it wasn't a "pit bull" so it doesn't matter. It's ridiculous. People need to stop being a bunch of sheep and stop believing everything they see on TV. I don't see people calling for other breeds to be banned when one attacks someone.

Most people could not identify an APBT (including me) and could easily be mistaken. It took me 4 guesses to identify the APBT in the Snakehandlers earlier post. Thanks for that by the way, I'll show that to family and friends. I'm sure it'll take them even more times to get it right.

My sister and her husband bought two staffies (actually they got them free) They never take them out for walks or to socialize them. They have not registered either of them and have no plans to. All they want to do is breed them to make money. It's these sort of irresponsible owners that produce bad dogs. People are the problem. Not the breed. Banning them will do nothing. Idiot owners will just move on to another breed.

When you want to know about a certain breed, be it Geman Sheperds, Dobermans, Collies, Jack Russells, ect, who is best to advise you? A person with experience and knowledge of that particular breed.
So as far as I'm concerned, the people we should be listening to are the responsible APBT owners. They own these dogs. They know these dogs. They have experience with these dogs. Not fear mongering idiots or idiot politicians who want to make out like they're doing something about reducing dog attacks.

Sorry for the long post, I just hate what's happenning to these dogs. Innocent dogs who have done nothing wrong being put down simply because they're a 'pit bull' just aint right.

Last edited:
The structure and function of the pit is no different to any other breed.

Its just a shame that when bullbaiting was banned, idiots that owned the breed discovered dogfighting. And the pit was highly prized because of its jaw strength.

It is EXACTLY the structure and function of the pitty that gives them the jaw strength they possess. High domed skull, muscular jaw and the way the muscle attaches to the jaw. Length of the jaw compared to the jaw hinge also plays a role.

Its a joke, has anyone mentioned that over in america the Australian Cattle Dog is a restricted breed. So you have this same debate going on over in american reguarding dogs that we here hold in high reguard.
The truth is that the modern day American Pitbull Terrier, English Staffy, American Staffy and Bull Terrier are dirrectly linked to the old English Bulldog. As the owner of a Neo-mastiff x "american staffy" i can honnestly tell you the only problem i have encountered is the fact he snors so damn loud. He is listens to me like a champ, even at the packed out dog park i only have to speak ONCE and he does exactly as he is told.
Now for everyone in NSW i have some very important information for you.
If you have a pitbull or pitbull cross, and your local ranger decides he is going to flex his muscles, he MUST give you writen notice of intent to take your dog. It must be in writing. This is so you have time to either prove that its not a pure breed pitbull or so you can build the proper enclosure to keep the dog in. They can only take the dog if it off your property or proving to be a risk to the public.
Read up on your rights as people and the voice of your mute mate.

It is EXACTLY the structure and function of the pitty that gives them the jaw strength they possess. High domed skull, muscular jaw and the way the muscle attaches to the jaw. Length of the jaw compared to the jaw hinge also plays a role.

Have u ever seen a pit scull x-ray along side another?? Or even better, analysed 3D skulls of a pit beside a GSD scull? sure when it comes to the whole dog, they 'look' different..But the way the muscle attaches to the Jaw and builds up, takes deliberate work on the dog to use that area. i.e encouraging the dog to bite and hold a strong object, Playing tug-o-war etc. Muscle tone does not just 'appear' for lack of work.

You can build up a muscular jaw on any breed with the right approach. But there is no such thing as 'lock jaw'

All APBT owners, supporters and anyone opposed to BSL should organise a protest and take their dogs too. It's about time we did.

Here's The American Temperament Test Society site: American Temperament Test Society, Inc. | A sound mind in a sound body in which the APBT passed at a rate of 86.4%. Better than a lot of other breeds. Including Collies, Golden Retrievers, Dalmatians, pomeranians, ect.

Here's a site with all the myths answered and information about the breed. Also videos showing just how loving and great APBT can be. And a bite force comparison in which the Rottweiler had the strongest bite.

Please watch these. They make me so sad. These dogs are beautiful and deserve better. So do their owners.

Also Pit Boss on Animal Planet is a great show and again shows how great they really are.

Breed Information Center

The Truth about pit bulls - YouTube

In Memory of All Pitbulls - YouTube

The Great American Pit Bull Terrier - YouTube

Pit Bull Pride - YouTube

Bite force competition Between Rottweiler, German Shepherd, and Pitbull. - YouTube

Last edited:
hmmm, i hate to say it but how can you say that breed etc are not a factor.... i totally get that alot is in the owner and they can be bred to be lovely dogs. yours for example. but its just like with a jungle python.... there are plenty that are placid but why do people say "typical" jungle temperment? its because breeds, whether cats, dogs or snakes etc all have a "general" characteristic. pitts just happen to be very violent (not necessarry full aggresive but when they do they are killers!

Just ban the breed. And while you are at it ban any animal that was not living in Australia 1000 years ago. We don't need them :)

Haha Snowman, so we don't need horses, cows, sheep, goats and most other sources of food and income then? Not to mention all the white settlers not being here that long ago...

i have a rottie x pitty & a jack russell. my jack russell is way more aggressive than the rottie x. he has big dog syndrome & thinks he can take on anything :shock: anyways im on the pitty's side. it's the owner not the breed.

Last edited:
Haha Snowman, so we don't need horses, cows, sheep, goats and most other sources of food and income then? Not to mention all the white settlers not being here that long ago...
NOPE! The indiginous survived with out them :p But seriously we are talking pets... No need for exotic pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back