Help a newbie out? my olive won't feed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lhughes

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to owning a reptile and I need some urgent advice.
I have a 9month old olive python, I bought him 3 months ago and he has not fed since. I have tried pinky and fuzzy rats, and he backs away from everything. He has shed once but hardly grown and I am worried sick. What should I do?

im new to this as well but i have read a few of these on here about the same thing the last few days so i would have a read through them. Most of the things ppl are saying are check your temps, have you tryd "braining" (think thats right!). I may be way off but its what most of them said to try. Hope this helps!!!!!!

have a read through the Sticky - help my snake is not eating its the top one in the Herp Help section.

Last edited:
heres a few things you can do:

- check the enclosure temps
- 'braining' or 'yoking'
- snakes can go a while without food but will let you know when hungry....keep offering food items even leave in overnight but remove as soon as you get up in the morning if uneaten.
- talk to the person you brought him off of and see if he was a picky feeder

Olive for a first snake? brave.
The other replies are all you need, good luck bud.

hey! had this same problem with my hatchie bredli.. 6 months old and only eaten 3 times (4 now, successfully ate yesterday after 3 months)

it was really frustrating because people were telling me to check my temps, which were all perfect, get blood out of the mouse to make more attractive, was already doing that, was giving the mouse to him nice and warm, was defrosting the mouse in a freezer bag so it wouldnt lose its smell, he had hides, tank was right size, everything i had tried and he still didnt eat

eventually i learnt to calm down and stop worrying, that was the best thing i learnt. i kept trying and he took a feed yesterday, because he had just shed. if they are coming into a shed cycle, some refuse to eat, i think that was my problem. that and hes just a fussy eater. it really sucks but its such a good feeling when they finally eat

my advice is, keep trying, dont stress if he doesnt eat. he will eventually. if you go to get it out one day and its really pissed off looking, go get a mouse/rat whatever and try to feed it asap. good luck :)

also. check this video out. its from the guys at BHB enterprises (one of the biggest snake breeders in the world)
they have awesome informative videos on youtube
this one is made for snakes that wont eat, has some great tips :)
SnakeBytesTV-My Snake Won't Eat - YouTube

Dip a mouse/rat into no name chicken noodle soup and then offer it. Has worked for all of my non feeders

Being a olive, try getting quail if u can get ur hands on it, if not go catch a garden skink out of your garden, cut the tail off and use a piece of long hair(cause its digestable) and use it like fishing line to wrap it on the rat/mouse, up the heat to 32degrees and leave it in complete darkness, if you have to put a sheet over the tank or put the tank in a dark cupbord, thats what i did to get my baby childrens to eat, my olive is a perfect eater, havent had any problems with him, good luck :)

seriously...a olive for a first snake?!?!? u jumped into the way too deep end.

How is this helpful? At least the OP has enough sense to ask for help.

Quail are great for fussy feeders. Have you tried mice? Won't be great to feed as a staple, given the size he'll grow to, but might be a bit of a push in the right direction. Once feeding properly on mice you can try changing to rats by scenting with mice.

Assuming your temps are all ok
try the suggest methods of braining (exposing some brain tissue) - it does require a strong stomach, or dipping in egg yolk.

letting the rat defrost for a few hours near the snake enclosure then heat it up before offering the food has usually been enough to get snakes eating in my experience

Also dont offer more than twice a week (once a week is preferable), offering more than twice a week often makes the non-feeding worse.

Last edited:
seriously...a olive for a first snake?!?!? u jumped into the way too deep end.

I find this comment really interesting.......cause when 'newbies' come on here with the 'what snake is best for beginners' questions, they usually get slammed with comments about 'each snake having a different temperment no matter the breed', & they are told to 'chose a snake they like rather then one they are told will be better for them that they then end up not liking'.......well perhaps the op really likes olives, & although it isnt a choice u would make, they are entitled to! Ive only been on this forum for about 2mnths, but already i am so over seeing the childish, unnecessary comments that people keep making to new members & their 'newbie' questions! Why must people 'shoot' others down? Is it really so hard to say nothing at all is u have nothing helpful to add?

The majority of the time non feeding is the result of inadequate temperature. To force a snake to eat when it is too cold can cause problems as its metabolism is too slow to digest food properly. I would ask the person who you got it from how it was feeding and go from there. Part of the service from any breeder should be to ensure the animal continues to eat properly.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mattyg seriously...a olive for a first snake?!?!? u jumped into the way too deep end

I'd just like to say that I have an olive for my first snake. She is the most placid and beautiful pet I have ever owned. I fell in love with the breed.

As a responsible pet owner I have done my research, and I am aware how big they get etc, etc, etc.

So Ihughes, enjoy your snake! I don't have any tricks to help feed (my snake is a great feeder) but I hope for your sanity that he takes a feed soon!!

Chantelle

I've also got an olive as my first snake and my second... They are fine as long as you can house and feed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back