First snake - Yet to hold!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

traceylee

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am yet to pick up our Diamond Python; but I really want to! Each time I get brave enough to; I chicken out!

Can someone help me in telling me the easiest way to pick her up for the first time?! I know once I've done it for the first time - I will be fine!
Forgive me - I'm a Kiwi - I come from the land of no snakes!!!!

Gently around 2/3 the way down its body. Just scoop her up n support most of her bulk on your hand. Good luck the first is always the hardest

I remember my first time, good luck!!

I made it easier (for both of us) by covering her head with a hand towel, she didn't mind, I then lifted her out by supporting her, it was actually easy in the end. Just go for it :)

Hey, we got our first snakes not long ago.
When picking them up i usually slowly slide my hand under the snake around about the neck section staying away from the head and then with my other hand i support the lower half of it's body.
Ours are fairly tame adults but i have been told that hatchies don't really hurt much if they do strike at you.
I was quite nervous the first time but now i am pretty comfortable with them (i have a thing for larger snakes and the ones we have are childrens so i was a bit weary of how to handle them at first).
How big is your snake?
I hope i have at least eased your mind that you are not the only one that is hesitant about handling but at the same time if you want a tame-ish snake you should get them used to being handled.

Hi guys!

I am yet to pick up our Diamond Python; but I really want to! Each time I get brave enough to; I chicken out!

Can someone help me in telling me the easiest way to pick her up for the first time?! I know once I've done it for the first time - I will be fine!
Forgive me - I'm a Kiwi - I come from the land of no snakes!!!!

I always use a reptile hook as some snakes can be a bit of a bastard at any given time... hook it approximately 1/3 to 1/2 way down the body lift up & onto your hand & Relax.... you'll be fine...

Thanks all for the advice :) I really appreciate it! Now I don't feel like such a bad 'mum' for being a wuss!
Em; she is about 6ft long; so certainly not tiny! I know her history as she was sold as a hatchie to a friend of mine who had her right up until we bought her off him (she is 3) - she only bit him twice in the whole time. I think that's a pretty good run; whilst it would be great if she never bit; I certainly don't expect her never to!
Thank's again for all the suggestions; I'll definitely give it a go :D

lol my first snake i reached in to the bag pulled it out and then placed it in its new home but then again a baby stimi is hardly going to be able to bite ya

you could try with a hook as well to help get her out of the enclosure and whilst shes on the hook you will get a better idea if shes amiable to being touched etc

Last edited:
I've just put the kidlets to bed, and she's all coiled up.
I don't think now is the right time?!

try putting your hand in the enclosure slowly and leave in there for a couple of minutes,gradually get closer and keep on holding for a couple of minutes,do this until you can approach and touch,after this repeatedly over how many days that is comfortable for you.Your nervous,your snake is nervous,get use to each other,trust each other.

Thanks for the advice Deadpan. I can put my arm in there and leave it there; she will come up to me and it doesn't bother me. It's just that initial thought of holding her :) I'm probably being silly. It's frustrating really; because I love her to bits and I think she is absolutely beautiful! I just want to hold her!
Lol Sher_khan, I thought I might startle her if I were to pick her up now?! So much to learn! Its a good thing I could read up on them for hours!

if she doesnt seem scared or anxious when you put your hand it, i would say she will be fine. just be calm and she will be calm with you. you will be fine once your take that first step of picking it up all your fear will go away.

Have a couple of sneaky beers beforehand to help relax you :)

it like ripping a band aid off,
decide to do it.... open the door, slide hand under and lift and remove from tank....... all in 5 seconds.

the more you think about it the worse you will get, the more you hesitate the more chance that your girl will turn it into a catch-me-if-you-can.

by the time she realises she's not nicely curled up she probably wont bother.

my only advise it make sure she is awake, if you startle her she may strike toward you which may make you more hesitant.

I know exactly what you're talking about Traceylee - It's that first initial touch that can be hard. I find if my little hatchy is curld up he won't too keen on being touched. As he's a Jungle he's a little more "zoomy" than other pythons can be (when I touch him if he's curled up his attitude is like "WHAT THE? WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING ME? ERGH!!" so I tend to go in and pick him up if he's already been active.

I use a hook when I go in fresh (unless he's already moving about and I can just slide my hand under the first 3rd of his body and lift him up (then untangle him from and branches slowly) and I use the hook most of the time because it's how my brother did it with his suuuuuuuuuuuuper placid Coastal and I'm comfortable with that. I am thinking of trying with just my hands more often (when he's happy and still kind of fat 2 days after a feed) so he gets used to my actual hands picking him up.

Let us know how you go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back