Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayboy12

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I woke this morning to greet my Snakes as i do every morning but as i looked into my Childrens Python Enclosure i was a bit worried as she is usually out living it up in the sunlight from the window but this time she is missing so i opened the tank and checked the hides and took every last thing out of the tank but nothing..... no evidence of her escape not to mention the enclosure is very secure..well atleast i thought it was anyhow. And also she is approx 1m long and a little fatty so i couldnt see her getting through small gaps..??..
(Reptile one Enclosure- 1200x550x550 approx)

I turned the 2 bedroom unit upside down but no luck, altho i only had 10 mins due to me having to go to work (at work now) which i have to go otherwise i would of stayed and searched all day.

What do i do now?
and yes i did search in all dark small warm spots. She will be hiding somewhere but the unit is big and 5 storys up on top floor. Whats their depth deception like? will she go out a window and fall? or say hell no and turn around? coz the windows were open during the night and no flyscreens.

Sorry for the essay im just really worried, any tips? Thanks

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe that so many people have their snakes get out. Good luck mate, I hope you find it.

Yep. No matter how well you think you might have it escape proof and have a snake in there for 6 months or more and one day Bam! Gone! Thanks mate

make sure all the windows and gaps in the doors are secured so theres a good chance of finding it if its still in the unit.. start searching the warm spots like under or behind the fridge, stereo and tv electricals etc and the small gaps where it can hide. try looking at night too when it might be out and on the move..
good luck..

so ur totally positive shes escaped? were the doors open a crack or anything?
how long has she been living in there?
i cant imagine a 1 metre python could escape from a secure enclosure,....are there any light fittings she could be hiding in?
could she have been curled up in some of her furniture u pulled out?
i often pull my jungle enclosures apart oni a panic cos they hide so well,..

ur best bet after rechecking the enclosure when u get home is to wait for lights out when it would be active again,..

in regards to it falling, i cant guarantee it wont, but my pythons seem to know what they are and arent capable of climbing and go with that,..i cant see her hurling herself off 5 storeys, and if she did u should see a dead snake on the ground,....

Thanks people, Yea i fully took apart everything in her enclosure, she aint there. She is a little bit brain dead and trys to climb things then gives up and falls over with a thump all the time so ill get home at 6 and sit in the unit in silence and wait for a thump maybe, you never know. What if i get my sisters cat? will a cat sniff it out? and lead me to it? but always follow incase the cat tries to attack.? or maybe a friends Labrador Dog? Its a very smart dog... maybe only if its trained to find snakes i spose.. :-( aw well.

If you have a aircon I would serch in there as thats were my little Spotted went when she got out last week from a "escape proof" tank. Not sure if it would work or not but you could try leaving her tank open with heat on and she may go back to it during the night.

Good luck and I hope you find your baby soon, it's so hard to not stress out when they go 'walking'.

put out heat mat and thawed mouse may attract it or sprinkle flour down you may see tracks hope this hleps

warmth of back of fridge and computer? may be worth a look :)

set up a heat matt in the middle of your living room and sit in the dark for a little while and see if she boogs over for bit of a warm up?

Thats bad, good luck!!

I got home the other day after work and went into my room to realise that the sliding door was open on her cage!! easily could of escaped and then realised this would of been open since the attempt to feed the night before!! so 24+ hours of open cage... She must like it in there as she was still there when I got back!!

Hope you find it! Any warm spots like behind fridges, computers, TV, air con etc... Good luck!!!!

Once found my baby inside my cd radio... She was crawling out of a space I never thought she'd fit through when I found her. Don't eliminate a spot just cos it doesn't look like your snake would fit through... You'd be surprised

I have a friend who has children pythons and twice he had a baby get away on him. First time he found it in the pocket of a shirt hanging in his wardrobe. Another time inside his daughter's pencil case. I have also seen a photo on here, more than 12 months back, of someone who thought they'd lost their jungle python. 10 days later (I think I recall) he went to cook toast and it wouldn't go down. Mr Fix It decided to investigate the broken toaster and found his python inside it.

I have also had an escapee once or twice and found him inside my husband's sub woofer box. Another time one was coiled up snug around the cord of my incubator and another under the fridge.

Where you have already looked, don't forget to look again. You could even lay things about, too, if he passes them and knocks them over in the night, you'll get up to every creak you here...hehe

Last edited:
no luck just yet, im not giving up tho. Im thinking she may of got out under the front door but 5 storeys up i cant see her jumping off or even going down all those flights of stairs. Hmmm its got me beat. No one would of stolen her as i have alot of expensive items next to the tank and if your going to break in sure you wouldnt just take 1 snake and nothing else not to mention the cheapest snake i own lol. Maybe someone found her and kept her or killed her :-O I really dont wanna put a sign up with it stating " Misssing Snake in this area please advise unit 12 if found LOL, it may freak a few ppl out. Ive tried leaving food out, heat mat out even put on electric blanket in each room everynight, i thought she may be tucked in under the blanket but nothing. I search Everywhere - Everynight. Its Just Plain Weird, i want some closure on this. Thnx for your cool ideas ive tried them all plus more :)

A couple of weeks ago, I went back into my reptile room only to realise my Woma had escaped from her click-clack.
She was in the last place I looked -- under the click-clack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back