Where to Find a Rottweiler Puppy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Plain_Nuts

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My wife wants to buy her dad a rottweiler puppy for father's day but we cant find any for a reasonable price. She wants a pure rottweiler but it doesnt need official papers or anything. Willing to travel to noosa or down to north NSW. Any ideas also for internet pet ads like petpages.com....?

Trading post, Gumtree, local vets might know breeders, your local paper :) They're great dogs! I have a german shep x rotti.

I'm working in St George at the moment, I saw some advertised in the local paper, if it's to far, they might freight? They are stated as Pure bred.

If your interested, let me know, I can get you the number.

be careful pure tend to have hip problems a cross would be better for your hip pocket and probably a better chance of a healthier dog we have owned 2 rotties both pure the last one was from breeders that had champion show dogs and picked a puppy with perants that had little history of hip problems but alas at 5yrs started getting issues and by 9 she was put down but 9-10 is a good life for a rottie

be careful pure tend to have hip problems a cross would be better for your hip pocket and probably a better chance of a healthier dog we have owned 2 rotties both pure the last one was from breeders that had champion show dogs and picked a puppy with perants that had little history of hip problems but alas at 5yrs started getting issues and by 9 she was put down but 9-10 is a good life for a rottie

Sorry Tristan, but as a breeder of pure bred rotties I have to tell you that hip problems occur mainly with dogs that are not registered with Rottie clubs as pure bred and are sold without papers. Our dogs have to be hip checked prior to breeding and if the score is too high then you are not permitted to breed with them.

Dogs on line is the place to look for pure bred dogs, our last litter went to Perth, Adelaide and around Melbourne, expect to pay around 1500 for a dog with papers. Cross bred rotties are the ones that do not meet the breed standard and if you buy from a reputable breeder they will even assist you in the future with the dogs. Insist on the hip scores of the parents before you commit and make sure the combined score is less than 10!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hip problems can also be directly linked to the dog jumping off high places as a pup, especially if the parent have low hip scores! Most people don't understand that rotties are big, grow fast and need to be looked after in the first year, listen to the breeder and they will talk to you about ways to avoid hip problems!

---

fair call, im just giving advice based on personal keeping experience the last one my bro owned was a 1k+ dog with papers and from parents with great history line she still had issues later in life, never jumped in or out of Utes, lived a life with good training, diet, exercise on the beach low impact.

perhaps in Vic you have a larger selection of breeders and choice or perhaps simply better lines i cant attest to much about that myself simply a guess at the differences in experiences

Please make sure your wifes father wants a Rotti as a present.
Too many dogs end up in shelters after being gifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please make sure your wifes father wants a Rotti as a present.
Too many dogs end up in shelters after being gifts.
already checked that cheers, we didnt want to spend over $600 and we dont need papers just want a happy healthy friendly dog that looks like a proper rottie

Try the RSPCA they may have some or the rottie rescue they will have a web site
Cheers
Martin

You won't get a rottie from a registered breeder then! Our show dogs go for over 2000, our pet dogs go for around 1000! And we are not expensive, some go for as much as 4000 or more!

---

Australian pure bred stock is awful. It's also like that for most of the larger working breeds (German Shepard for example.) Even with papers chances are you'll end up with a pup that has some problems later on in life.

Still, I recommend everyone here... Dogzonline ...when looking for a puppy. You can talk to multiple breeders and find out more information about pricing and whatnot.

Google Rottie breeders in australia. breeders will have the parents x rayed and tested for genetic problems and you will get a problem free pup.

Australian pure bred stock is awful. It's also like that for most of the larger working breeds (German Shepard for example.) Even with papers chances are you'll end up with a pup that has some problems later on in life.

Sorry but where do you get this from, considering we have had a large number if ADRK judges not only love the dogs here, but also ensured that people in Europe purchase either the dogs or take back semen! When was the last specialty show you attended?

---

remember hip inheritance is polygenetic......two parents with good scores does not guarentee that the pups wont have hip issues....

Go to the rotty club and look for a breeder that does all apropriate health screening....and if they say 'i know my lines are all good' what they are really saying is.....I dont want to spend the money on health screening my animals.

look for someone in a network, if they dont have a litter but can recommend you to comeone else then they are probably doing the right thing....breeders who are dodgy tend to be isolated.

Snakehandler you are absolutely correct regarding your advice. Also the idea that a cross breed will be healthier is an old wives tale. If you ahve two dogs put together one that has say eye problems and the other skeletal problems for example you can still end up with a cross breed that has inherited problems from both parents. In addition back yard breeders dont tend to be a stringent in making sure what they breed is adequately tested.

Remember...just like snakes.....you get what you pay for......dont support someone who just puts two dogs together to just see what they will get and are only in it for the money.......

Just my thoughts

Elizabeth

Do you mean a registered breeder of National Champion Rotties? We defend the breed from people who have no understanding of the breed standards, the purpose of the breed or the issues with the dogs.

A serious issue with cross bred dogs is obvious, the dog and bitch used were outside the pure bred standards, not registered and has faults. When you buy pure bred from a registered breeder you are also moving away from backyard breeders and puppy farms!

---

When you buy a pure breed they are more likely to have genetic problems. If you trace back the geneology (sp?) of breeds, there is inbreeding. Brother x sister, Grandfather x grandaughter... This enforces the bad genes because there are no different genes being brought in.
For example, Syringomylia in the Caviler King Charles. They have been bred, and bred so now their skull is too small for their brain. It impacts on the cerebellum which controls breathing, motor movements and protects the base of the spinal cord.

Cross-bred dogs have hybrid vigour.

;) *puts on flame suit*

Firstly that is wrong, especially when you realize in most breeds we often import semen from overseas, secondly to create a trait that people want in any animal often there is line breeding, just look at the prized albinos......if the albino darwins had one albino female origin how much inbreeding has happened there.

In dogs there is much less inbreeding than in the past, this is due to the fact that technology has allowed semen to be sent world wide. Genetic faults are often found in cross bred dogs due to the fact the fault means the dog would not make full register and cannot be bred from. Registered breeder must adhere to ANKC standards and such we have to adhere to genetic screening!

---

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back