Peeling scales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Getting really worried about my male pink tongue. His scales seem to be peeling off (no, hes not shedding) and starting to look a bit... off. It cant be burns as the heater is out of reach from him. Any ideas?

hope it is nothing to serious :(
some pics will help though

IMG_3114.jpg he wasnt happy about being woken up for a pic so I didnt get many, this is the only decent shot. See the white marks on his head. He also has scales visibly coming off his tail, but they're individual scales, not like he's shedding.

Do you have a good herp vet in your area? might be worth getting him checked out

the scales missing are on the head & neck ??? are they missing anywhere else on the animal ??

Last edited:
looks nasty :L any chance its has been attacked by the another one or something?

Take him and a fresh faecal sample to the vet, and then cough up for the blood tests, as well. This is be classic signs of them suffering from an infection. Keep him in high heat in the meantime. Good luck.

the scales missing are on the head & neck ??? are they missing anywhere else on the animal ??
Yes head neck and tail.

Yeah I'm gunna take him to a vet monday, kristy :(
I may as well take the female too just in case. The thing is, I really havent had them for long and when I got them they did look a tiny bit manky, and the enclosure they came with was quite dirty (I managed a clean, but not a full one) so I hope they didnt get sick before I got them and now Im stuck with diseased animals :(
Just in case I'm going to put them in a temporary enclosure and give the tank a full on cleaning.

just throwing this out there....... scales removed from mating attempts, bite marks etc as it is 'that' time of year ?? are you sure its a male ???

just throwing this out there....... scales removed from mating attempts, bite marks etc as it is 'that' time of year ?? are you sure its a male ???
Yeah I thought that. Of course that would be the best case scenario as I've been hoping for them to breed. I'm not 100% sure of either ones sex but they both look very different with head width, size and general shape "down there" so I'm pretty sure they're different sexes, maybe I got it wrong and the larger one is a male and this one is a female.
Hopefully you're right and theyre just some "love scars" ;)

VERY pleased, went to the vet and he gave them a look and took a test on a peeling scale and found no evidence of a bacterial, viral or fungal infection, he thinks its physical trauma and, considering its that time of year and only one is injured, they may have been mating! Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back