ceramic heat lamp/light opinions...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 25905

Reaction score
This morning i woke up to realise the temp was low in my bredli's enclosure, after a quick check i realised the reptile one red heat light/lamp i was using blew...the day i bought it the lady at the pet store told me ceramic heat lights are good you just have to keep an eye on the temp incase it blows obviously.

my question is, are the ceramic lamps more reliable? will the NOT blow (last longer) than the regular heat lights/lamps.

thanks for any feedback given! :D

p.s i have a replacement reptile one fan heater & heat mat being used until i buy a new globe which will be in the morning, so his not freezing his tail of lol.

I bought the first time a bulb blow 4 yrs ago and it is still going. never go back if you don't need the light.

I used to have a red heat lamp and it P*%$ed me off when the lights were out.

I bought the first time a bulb blow 4 yrs ago and it is still going. never go back if you don't need the light.

I used to have a red heat lamp and it P*%$ed me off when the lights were out.

ok i will more than likely try out the ceramic heat lamp, also what type of thermostat do you use? one that just turns it straight off, or one that dims it down "dimmer"?

and thanks bruce :D

i've gone through a bucket load of red heat lights in the last 2 months i've just change to black ceramic lights only one week so far so good .
the pet shop i got the red heat lights from are getting in contact with supplier stating fault is there problem & trying to refound my money not counting on anything
big companys do not care less. i use three differenet thermstats. but i've been told it's a winter thing blowing bulbs

yeh i have had my red heat lamp for oh i dont know maybe 2 months now and it just blew this morning i seen a thread before with some one saying the same thing about them, i have a feeling that the ceramic heat lamps will be better worth my money.

I use oz black brand ceramic heat emitters in my enclosures and they seem to work well. I even have a couple of the old perlco brand ones in use that I dont think you can even buy anymore and they must be well over two years old.. so yes they seem to last ok.

really need to be hooked up to a decent thermostat imo and I still monitor them regularly using a laser thermometer gun to check they are working ok. they also definitely need to be housed in a good light cage so there is no possible contact with the emitter by the snake. the only problem Ive had really is with those cheap ceramic fittings they screw into.. sometimes they lose the connection after a while and the heater need a very slight tightening.

as with most heating systems you need to regularly check everything is working especially the thermostat to try and avoid any overheating situations.

I have found globe life is also influenced by the switching method and frequency of them turning on and off. Globes usually blow when they turn on. The filament may be cooler and then warms up suddenly and blows. If they are turning on/off frequently then they are more inclined to blow. A dimming thermostat can help increase globe life as it reduces the sudden change in filament temperature. At the same time some globes have a shorter life than others, and there are many other factors as well, but in general I am a fan of dimming thermostat over on/off types.

Ceramic type of heaters in my experience have far greater servoce life than globes. Main downside is of course the lack of visual reference you get with a globe to show if it is working or not. Either way with a globe or ceramic I suggest to be safe use a thermostat, preferable a dimming style and check temperatures frequently. On a cost basis I find ceramics cheaper to use, dearer to buy.

I have found globe life is also influenced by the switching method and frequency of them turning on and off. Globes usually blow when they turn on. The filament may be cooler and then warms up suddenly and blows. If they are turning on/off frequently then they are more inclined to blow. A dimming thermostat can help increase globe life as it reduces the sudden change in filament temperature. At the same time some globes have a shorter life than others, and there are many other factors as well, but in general I am a fan of dimming thermostat over on/off types.

Ceramic type of heaters in my experience have far greater servoce life than globes. Main downside is of course the lack of visual reference you get with a globe to show if it is working or not. Either way with a globe or ceramic I suggest to be safe use a thermostat, preferable a dimming style and check temperatures frequently. On a cost basis I find ceramics cheaper to use, dearer to buy.

Thank you that is some good information to know, I do use a thermostat but was unaware of the dimming thermostats until after i purchased it. I think it will be ok with a ceramic globe as i have a digital thermometer wired up and check it every morning, night and any time i walk past it. :D

i have a couple of ceramic heat emitters that are just on 2 years old with on/off thermostats , and all my other heat emitters are over 1 year old and they are on on/off thermostats too .

The ceramics are better than the others but not great in my opinion especially when they cost around $60. We dont use either anymore and no thermostats either.

the #1 thing that blows lamps of any kind is an on/off thermostat, IF you can afford/find one, get a unit that dims on and off, you'll get a MUCH longer bulb life, the problem is, no one seems to make or at least, sell the darn things!
quick, someone into electronics design the ultimate thermostat and market it!

the #1 thing that blows lamps of any kind is an on/off thermostat, IF you can afford/find one, get a unit that dims on and off, you'll get a MUCH longer bulb life, the problem is, no one seems to make or at least, sell the darn things!
quick, someone into electronics design the ultimate thermostat and market it!

We sell one that is a dimming style, has over and under temperatire alarms and also a timing circuit so can day temps and night temps. As a bonus it has a timed outlet to use for switching display lights etc. Only prob is we sold out!! We have another batch arriving shortly though.

Otherwise there are other sellers who offer different dimming style thermostats.

holdenman_89 said:
Thank you that is some good information to know, I do use a thermostat but was unaware of the dimming thermostats until after i purchased it. I think it will be ok with a ceramic globe as i have a digital thermometer wired up and check it every morning, night and any time i walk past it. :D

Whilst is not ideal, we have done this without issue as well.

Cheers

Well i went to the store today and had a look, they had no dimmer thermostat but when i get paid next week i might just have to give Hiss n Bits a PM.

They had ceramic heat lamps ($67) so instead i thought i will buy 2 100w infrared heat lamps for $49.20 until i can get a dimmer thermostat, as i have been told it is more common in winter for heat lamps to blow and i wouldn't want to waste $67 on just i bulb...now i have a spare. and i also bought some kritters crumble and a xl rat for his dinner tonight :D

he better be grateful.

today i was watching my ceramic lamp and it become really redhot and then looked as if was going to catch on fire, shortly after that there was a spark from the bottom of the lamp and it blew and stopped working. does anyone know the reason?? it is only about a week old as well. could it just be a dud lamp??

Matty I had a dud ceramic holder,seemed to be caused by the earth grounding out.I didn't even try to fix it I just replaced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back