New magazine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Those of you with broader interest in wildlife may want to check out this new wildlife magazine called Australian Wildlife Secrets, published by Sean and Simon Watharow. Simon was the publisher who brought out the original Reptiles Australia magazine. The first issue is out at newsagents now.
Even though is has got Drop Bears on the front cover, the contents is good with quality images printed on a high quality paper. The first issue also features an article on the Daintree by Lyall Naylor.

[ no links thanks ]
Cheers
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a secret anymore

No Secret now:...........I found the above magazine a couple of weeks ago and it is a good read, well worth the $10.00, must say it sneaked in unannounced :)
Gotta support Simon W. Well done
Cheers
Sandee :)

Last edited:
It's good to see Simon back in publishing and I hope the mag sells well. Since Nature Australia ( a brilliant, world-class magazine) ceased to exist, there has been a huge gap in general natural history literature and I hope Simon will work towards the quality of that magazine, although it'll very hard without the resources the Australian Museum had. Pity that the Board of Directors comprised a bunch of useless bureaucrats and academics who couldn't run business to save their lives.

It looks like another high quality wildlife magazine. It's great to see more natural history literature being published. The more the merrier I reckon. I'll be supporting this as well.
Good on you Michael for promoting this new venture.
I wish them every success.

It looks like a great magazine for sure. Good on you Simon. Nice to see you back in the publishing industry. I'll be going to the local newsagents as well to try to grab a copy. We wish you well with your new venture.
Thanks Michael for drawing our attention to it.
Cheers
Joy

It looks like another high quality wildlife magazine. It's great to see more natural history literature being published. The more the merrier I reckon. I'll be supporting this as well.
Good on you Michael for promoting this new venture.
I wish them every success.

All the very best Simon for your efforts.

I've now read my copy from cover to cover and thought it was well worth the read.
My interests are broad though and includes all Australian wildlife, so I enjoyed it all. However, for those whose focus is more exclusively reptilian, they probably won't be satisfied.

The inaugural first issue is out now on newsagent shelves. It has the following articles...

A couple of pretty good articles on Koalas, one by the Australian Koala Foundation on living with Koalas. This includes some interesting facts and insights into their social structures, habits and food-tree lists etc. Also how to make your property Koala-friendly and help animals in your area.

Lyall Naylor, a park ranger who has a special interest in reptiles writes about the Daintree.

A 'What Waterbird Is That?' summary photo guide to 22 common species of waterbird that includes distribution maps.
There's also an article on a rehab case of Northern Rock-hopper Penguin, a few pics of albinos, a brief article on mating Copperheads, Diprotodons and how to make a DIY Sugar Glider nest box.

So check it out at your local newsagents and consider supporting another home-grown wildlife magazine. As mentioned, the editor in chief is Simon Watharow from Reptiles Australia, so there's bound to be a few reptile articles. Anyway, keep an eye out for this mag on the shelves and see if it's your cup of tea. I think that this new venture is worth suppporting.

Last edited:
In the next issue here will be an article on mud-skippers, guess by whom. :D

There's a very good reason why there's not much research done on mud-skippers in north Queensland. You don't see many field photos of the fascinating little critters either. Probably for the same reason! :shock:

:D You don't see many field photos because most photographers don't enjoy crawling in a knee-deep, smelly mud looking over the shoulder for crocodiles. The mozzies and midges add bit of an edge to it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back