Shedding lengths accurate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markolsen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Well my little boy diamond shed for the first time since I've had him last night and it got me thinking about whether it's accurate to measure his length from the skin? The skin is about 1.3m long would that be close to what he would really be? They are hard to measure when roaming around! :)

Nowhere close. I had a 95cm shed from a just over70cm jungle. There's a couple of programs like herpmeasure that can help get measurements from a photo

nah my bredli is 2.3 meters long and ive measured one of his sheds and it was well over 3 meters long so nope.

The usual method of measurement from a shed is to take away a third of the length of the shed skin, and you have an approximate size.

just ignore length of sloughed skin entirely and actually measure the snake then you have no probs

Thanks for the replies! Yeah I measured the skin and was surprised at how long it was. I'll just have to measure him and see. He's looking awesome at the moment and just ate his first post shed Rat. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance. Thanks again for the info! :)

The old question how long is a piece of string is a good one for just such an occasion, I was having trouble measuring my snakes and then I got some string and put the end at the tail and run my hand up the snake with the string and snake going through my hand, when you run out of snake so to speak pinch the string there and then put the string against a measuring tape. You might not get exact with this method but it will be pretty damn close.

I use a tailor's tape meausure and stretch it out along the snake. There is no problem doing this with a python. If I kept elapids I might use some of the electronic measurers...

The string is a winner for me thanks mate didn't think of that how easy. Cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back