Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly i don't think they are under threat of extinction. They are listed as vunerable atm because there is a inferred decline in their numbers, but even the folk who have listed them this way say that there is little evidence for this decline.

But what are there numbers?
How often are they encountered?
How many different seperate locations are these guys found? If we had a huge fire season followed by a very small couple of wet seasons and prior to this this an influx of the dreaded toad population found in the escarpments that these guys are endemic to, would this potentially put these guys as extremely vunerable, or perhaps extinct?
This is something we can no longer gamble on. (vunerable species need to be protected at all costs).

There is good reason to worry.

Since the arrival of toads there have been changes to the relative abundance of several snake species.

The plummeting mammal populations in the top end is a big worry to a mammal feeder like this snake.

The increasing occurrence of wildfires in and around the escarpment of the Top End may have a direct impact on some individuals, but more likely will have an impact on its the availability of its prey.

To wait for evidence of a decline in numbers in a species which is rarely encountered may be just too late.

Best to err on the side of caution.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, same with Scrubbies.... to each their own I guess.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, same with Scrubbies.... to each their own I guess.

It's personal preference Chris.

For example, I would never own a beardie as I don't like the look of them, however, you would and do own them because you like them and everything about them.

l myself have never really been that interested in keeping Oenpelii Python's, to me they just look like a giant Children's Python, if l was offered a pair l most likely would say no thanks, go and sell or offer them to someone else who is more interested in keeping and breeding them.

Who would want to keep a Oenpelii Python just because they are so rare in captivity, and they are so big like a Scrub Python l personaly wouldn't, no-way would l pay 10's of thousands of Dollars for 1 or a pair

l would much prefer to keep and breed Olive - Woma - Black-Headed Python's, l just find these 3 far more interesting to keep, its each and everyone to their own on what they like and don't like to keep as a pet Python.

Last edited:
I'm partial to big snakes, I'd keep them given the opportunity.

I'd snap one up if I could, but I'd be happy just to see one as well. Personally I think they're gorgeous, yeah they may look like an 'overgrown children's python', but they have a subtle, understated beauty about them.
I'm not ashamed to say it... WANT. ;)

I would get immense enjoyment out of seeing one of these pythons in the wild and plan to go looking for one or two. Hopefully in the not too distant future.

Although I am not really a big python person I would like to keep one of these animals just observe and learn - they just really fascinate me.

I'm sorry but can someone please tell me what all the fuss is about with this species? Maybe a dumb question but, yeah

But what are there numbers? Estimated to be between 5000 and 10 000 by John Woinarski.
How often are they encountered? I've been looking for 2 years in known locations about 4 times a week (on average) and still haven't found one. A mate has been looking for 8 years in known locations and hasn't found one. But i do know of 3 verifiable findings since 2008.
How many different seperate locations are these guys found? The escarpment and it's outliers from Oenpelli south level with Pine Creek. If we had a huge fire season followed by a very small couple of wet seasons and prior to this this an influx of the dreaded toad population found in the escarpments that these guys are endemic to, would this potentially put these guys as extremely vunerable, or perhaps extinct? IF, BUT, WHEN???? Lots of hypotheticals there! No one knows. It might even turn out to be good for these guys (probably not but that's how little we know about the West Arnhem escarpment country)!
This is something we can no longer gamble on. (vunerable species need to be protected at all costs).

So while we're trying to save this snake (which may or may not be at risk), who's gonna look after the Gove Crow butterfly? Which is Nationally listed as an endangered species. Not Like this snake, which is only listed as vulnerable in the NT.

PS. Don't take me too seriously. :p

John has estimated there to be around 5 to 10 thousand, and you have only heard of three verifed sightings in a few years?
And you and a mate have been looking alot for these guys in the last several years and not seen one? Is there any up to date report on these numbers?

And animal that is threatened should have some conservation plan put in place (in a perfect world):D

P.s
all good mate, I hope i am not coming across as a keyboard nazi:)

Cheers for all the info.

I can't speak for the NT wildlife authorities but in Qld, a conservation plan means - "it's in a protected area, therefore it's safe. Keeping it there is the conservation plan". Pretty pathetic.

John has estimated there to be around 5 to 10 thousand, and you have only heard of three verifed sightings in a few years?
And you and a mate have been looking alot for these guys in the last several years and not seen one? Is there any up to date report on these numbers?

And animal that is threatened should have some conservation plan put in place (in a perfect world):D

P.s
all good mate, I hope i am not coming across as a keyboard nazi:)

Cheers for all the info.

Yes but most of their range is totally inaccesible by anything except a helicopter.

There have been no wild studies done on their numbers.

Yes but most of their range is totally inaccesible by anything except a helicopter.

and toads, wildfire, weeds etc!

We have no idea what goes on in this remote country.

5K to 10K is nothing but a wild guess( I have no idea what this would be based on) considering nothing has been done on the population ecology of this snake.

Beautifully said Saratoga. It is also what the Federal Environmental Conservation Act (the EPBC) says, and the Kakadu Plan of Management. This means that the Government agrees with you too!

Slickturtle
There is good reason to worry.

Since the arrival of toads there have been changes to the relative abundance of several snake species.

The plummeting mammal populations in the top end is a big worry to a mammal feeder like this snake.

The increasing occurrence of wildfires in and around the escarpment of the Top End may have a direct impact on some individuals, but more likely will have an impact on its the availability of its prey.

To wait for evidence of a decline in numbers in a species which is rarely encountered may be just too late.

Best to err on the side of caution.

Good.
then all those adamant about this future wellbeing of this unique species say I.

All the rest that want the species in captivity for your personal gain say NI.

There, I said it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back