Jag 2 month growth diary

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kupper

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
well for those who know me , there is one thing I love to do .....

FEED MY SNAKES :)

jag upon arrival
IMG_1211.jpg

jag 2 weeks later
IMG_1246.jpg

jag 5 weeks later
IMG_1315.jpg

jag now at 2 months since acquisition
IMG_1362.jpg

he is shaping up to be a nice specimen , big thanks to Barra couldn't be happier :)

probably gets fed about 3-4 times a week depending on how is going with digestion .... going to give him a 3 week break next month

Very nice!
Curious as to why you feed him so much, so often?

gecko keepers tend to have a heavy handed approach to feeding ;)

not at all , but some knowledge in your snakes ability to digest and the right husbandry is essential

Wow that thing is massive. How many times has it shed in 2 months?

Id prob back it off a little or he might end up with fatty liver disease?
Either way, nice Mutt ;)

Power feeding snakes is no drama feeding smaller prey items but more times a week means the snake digests faster but still gets fed regularly . :) Looking good kupper =]

not at all , but some knowledge in your snakes ability to digest and the right husbandry is essential

I agree Kupper,
Some people, MRS & Daughter included, have got up me in the past for how much I feed young snakes.
In my book of knowledge a young snake wants to eat as much as it can to get big & avoid predation, it is the survival of the fittest.
As for fatty liver etc, I believe that this would only occurr if the process was continued for any great length of time. That is as the snake gets older slow down its feeding. As any young animal needs a strong healthy growth when young.

I will probably get uped for supporting you, but I have seen too many snakes that should be bigger than they are because the owner fed them slow.

Cheers
Ian

I agree as well with Ian & kupper, fatty liver from my understanding is prolonged "over feeding" when they are post yearling age.
Young animals need the extra vitamins to grow and survive in the wild...

it was also my understanding that during growth periods snakes fat stores and generally used for growth but no biggy

snake is growing like a champ and I hope its at size next year to produce some extra critters for me :)

If you keep feeding at rate your going to have a very obese sanke very nice though

I agree as well with Ian & kupper, fatty liver from my understanding is prolonged "over feeding" when they are post yearling age.
Young animals need the extra vitamins to grow and survive in the wild...

Thanks for supporting my theory, I was going out on a limb there supporting Kupper.
All my young snakes I power feed to whatever they want. I will continue this until they slow themselves down due to cool weather or reach an adult stage. I find that the snakes fed like this will generaly regulate themselves anyway with seasonal conditions etc.
As you & I said young snakes need the sustanance to grow just like young puppys & we all know that the biggest puppy has been a hog but will grow into the biggest & best.

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back