australian herpetological symposium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be a fantastic event.

Last year I was unaware that it was happening until it was on. And this year having it in my own backyard, I'll be kicking myself if I don't go! I think I'll have to rustle up some funds! :):)

Nick Mutton has cancelled other plans and will now be coming out as well for the launch.

this will be one of the few opportunities people will ever have to get a copy of the book signed by both authors (and get to meet such fine gentlemen). this will be a memorable occasion for many, not just the book collectors.

Nick Mutton has cancelled other plans and will now be coming out as well for the launch.

this will be one of the few opportunities people will ever have to get a copy of the book signed by both authors (and get to meet such fine gentlemen). this will be a memorable occasion for many, not just the book collectors.

oh wow now this is the best bonus news yet, this is awesome i can not wait see ya all their!

Great stuff! The site has been updated with all the current info.
Looking forward to the book.... maybe someone can send me a signed copy ;) :D

Ha... I bet Nick Mutton gets a few new friends on Facebook now :)!

J

OK... on behalf of Reptiles Australasia, sponsors of the 2011 Australian Hepetological Symposium to be held in Sydney on October 1&2... Mark Spataro will be coming from the States to deliver a talk on the rare, mysterious and little known Boelen's Python. This species, from New Guinea, is probably the rarest python in captivity at this point in time, seems not be bred with any consistency, but is a spectacular species indeed.

We will have more good news to announce in the next few days :)

Jamie

OK... on behalf of Reptiles Australasia, sponsors of the 2011 Australian Hepetological Symposium to be held in Sydney on October 1&2... Mark Spataro will be coming from the States to deliver a talk on the rare, mysterious and little known Boelen's Python. This species, from New Guinea, is probably the rarest python in captivity at this point in time, seems not be bred with any consistency, but is a spectacular species indeed.

We will have more good news to announce in the next few days

Jamie

where's that echo coming from :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I met Mark Spataro When we both spoke at the Morelia symposium at the National Breeders Expo in Daytona last year. He is a really fun guy to hang around with for a weekend! He also has a wealth of knowledge on M. boeleni, its habitat as well as some stories about the regions culture and people. You will all really enjoy his presentation.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully doing a little field herping!

Nick

Sounds great Nick, I'm very much looking forward to catching up with those I met in Cairns last year, and a few more as well! It sure beats Facebook connections :)!

rob porter's presentation on M.carinata focuses on the expeditions to find this species in the wild; the history of such a successful project will be inspiring to all.

the photography should be special, from the prince regent sound landscape to images of Diporiphora superba , i am sure the field herpers will love this one.

When will the Carpet Python book be available to the public,and who will be selling it?

When will the Carpet Python book be available to the public,and who will be selling it?

It should be widely available in November. The earliest anyone in the world will get it should be the advance copies in Australia associated with the symposium.

Nick

Reptiles Australasia, sponsors of the 2011 Australian Herpetological Symposium in Sydney, October 1&2, would also like to announce that they are bringing Greg Miles to Sydney to act as M/C at the Symposium. Many of you will have seen Greg during his recent visit when he addressed the AHS - and I'm sure you would have been impressed with his style and knowledge. He's also been a recent participant in the Oenpelli Python discussion here on APS. There are few people who know more about this species than Greg, his time as a ranger in Kakadu brought him into contact with this fascinating species more than almost any white man on the planet.

So we've got Boelen's and Oenpellis covered... it will be a great gig!

(Just an edit... Greg won't be discussing Oenpellis formally... but I'm sure that he'll be able to answer some of the questions delegates may have if they collar him personally!)

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Programme of Events
Day 1 - October 1st 2011
align="center"
|-
| Time
| Speaker
| Topic
|-
| 8:00 AM
| Registration
|-
| 8:30 AM
| Welcome Address
|-
| 9:30 AM
| Rob Porter
| Morelia carinata
|-
| 10:30 AM
| Morning Tea
|-
| 10:45 AM
| Terry Phillip
| Thinking Outside the Square
|-
| 11:45 AM
| Coming Soon
| Crocodile Farming
|-
| 12:30 PM
| Lunch
|-
| 1:15 PM
| Aimee Silla
| ART for anurans
|-
| 2:15 PM
| Phillip Byrne
| Rare Australian Frogs
|-
| 3:00 PM
| Afternoon Tea
|-
| 3:15 PM
| Michael McFadden
| Saving our endangered frogs
|-
| 4:15 PM
| Jennifer Gilbert
| Radio Tracking Sea Turtles
|-
| 5:15 PM
| Session Close
|-

Gala Dinner - October 2nd 2011
align="center"
|-
| Time
| Speaker
| Topic
|-
| Gala Dinner
| (Further Details Coming Soon)
|-
|
| Justin Julander
| Book Launch
|-
|
| Willi Henkel
| Special Presentation
|-

Day 2 - October 2nd 2011
align="center"
|-
| Time
| Speaker
| Topic
|-
| 8:30 AM
| Willi Henkel
| New Caledonial Herps
|-
| 9:30 AM
| Marc Spataro
| Morelia boeleni
|-
| 10:30 AM
| Morning Tea
|-
| 10:45 AM
| Rico Walder
| Morelia viridis - Improving your breeding success
|-
| 12:15 PM
| Lunch
|-
| 1:00 PM
| Dr Mark Simpson
| Reptile Reproductive Medicine
|-
| 2:00 PM
| Justin Julander
| Angolan Pythons
|-
| 2:45 PM
| Afternoon Tea
|-
| 3:00 PM
| Emmanuel van Heygen
| Reptile Conservation on Madagascar
|-
| 4:00 PM
| Fred Burton
| Grand Cayman Blue Iguanas
|-

If it's anything like the last one it WILL be fantastic!

Jamie

we can accommodate a limited number of people to attend the dinner only on saturday night,

this will include the world book launch of "the Complete Carpet Python", (copy included),

two dinner speakers, other gifts, meet and mingle with the symposium guest speakers and, of course,

dinner.

see Australian Herpetological Symposium 2011 | Reptiles Australasia

all for $130 pp

for group bookings of a table of 10 or more, please email [email protected]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back