Vitamin E cream for snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitaliss

I have been recommeneded by a Vet to use Vitamin E cream on the vent of my snake. Its obviously going to have to be non-perfumed, no unnecessary additives etc.

Does any one else use this on thier snakes, (not necessarily thier vent)?

If so could you please recommend me a brand?

I was looking to use

[h=1]Skin Basics 100% Pure Sorbolene Cream[/h]
Product Information
Is made to the Australian Pharmaceutical Formulary (APF) dermatological standard.
Using Skin Basics Sorbolene Cream everyday helps re-establish the natural moisture-loss barrier on your skin.
Recommended for the treatment and long lasting protection against many causes of dry skin.
Hypoallergenic and pH balanced - suitable for sensitive skin.
Non-greasy, fast absorbing
Free of colour, perfume, lanolin

Ingredients
Purified Water, Paraffin Light Liquid, Paraffin Soft white, Cetomacrogol 1000, Cetostearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyl Hydroxybenzoate, Propyl Hydroxybenzoate.

What does every one think?

that has no vitamin e in it.
Vitamin E will be seen as "Tocopheryl Acetate"
Sorbolene is a mineral oil based cream (parrifin) which is derived from crude oil. It creates a barrier. As does Diazolidinyl Urea. Cetostearyl Alcohol is a mild alcohol to let the cream dry which shouldnt irritate.

If a vitamin E cream is what you're after this isn't one. But this would help dryness. Sorbolene is generally used on very sensitive skin with no probs.

A vitamin E cream I would recommend is Invite E (orange & white bottle) or Rosken. Can be bought from most pricelines/pharmacies. Just make sure has no 'parfum' in it. Generally the ingredients are very similar to sorbolene but with a concentrated amount of Vit E in it as well.

Just like to add that I don't actually know anything about using creams on reptiles.. I just know a lot about creams LOL.

Thank you very much for correcting me :)
I had also looked at the Invite E cream you meantioned, but I could not find an ingredients list online. I will go to a store tonight and have a proper look at it.
Thankyou for your help woodys90

I have also considered using Alovera (the plant not a cream) does anyone have experience using this on reptiles?

Yes i agree with Woodys! I have the one in the orange and white bottle for my piercings (not that i have used it) and it seems to be really pure without other ingredients that may harm or irritate your snake so if i was you and had been told to use Vitamin E, i would use it :)
I will dig out the bottle and write the ingredients here for you.

Ok, it says each drop contains: 25i.u of D-I-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E). That is all it contains.

I had my face burnt by steam once, A good vitamin E cream will do wonders.

Yes i agree with Woodys! I have the one in the orange and white bottle for my piercings (not that i have used it) and it seems to be really pure without other ingredients that may harm or irritate your snake so if i was you and had been told to use Vitamin E, i would use it :)
I will dig out the bottle and write the ingredients here for you.

Ok, it says each drop contains: 25i.u of D-I-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E). That is all it contains.

That's not actually true. 25iu is a percentage of concentrate, i think something along the lines of 25/1000.. dont quote me on that.
Also by Australian Standards, skincare products with active ingredients don't HAVE to include inactive ingredients in the listing.

Thank you for the Help and advice everyone. It is very much appreciated

I use organic hand cream...anything with natural oils a fragrance or not at all. I always make sure it is rubbed right inot my hands first before the snakes move though my hands.....i find the smell of the cream reminds them it is me and because it is organic without parfum and harsh chemicals they ahve been fine...the key is reading the ingredients and making sure that you are using a good vegan organic natural handcream without nasties....Elvira is now nearly 6 foot long and 20 months old........and she feels wonderful....

why has the vet suggested you use the cream around the vent ? Ive never specifically applied any creams to my snakes

Oh and I had forgotten about the envite it is really really good I used to use it all the time...I cant remember why I stopped using it.....they make a concentrated vitamin e oil too in a little squeeze pot...it is excellent....I should go back to it !!

ive never had this.....maybe it might be worth thinking about where you are getting your food from....the diet the rats or mice are fed on is very important as this is what the snake ingests and would contribute to any issues.....either at the top end...on the way through or at the bottom end. Just a thought

I had never either, until i got her. The vet seems to think that It may now just be stained skin, which only a shed will tell i suppose. It used to be a lot worse just after I received her, but the Betadine and a different substrate has improved it.

I have bought my food from two different sources and her vent condition hasn't changed when I switched suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back