Finding a prober

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberlyann

Reaction score
Any one know where i can find a pro to probe my scaley babies to know what they are or even better where i can learn to do it? I wouldnt want to just go and do it myself if i have no idea what im doing lol Thanks :)

I would not recommend trying to probe any snakes if you don't know how to do it, especially if your trying to probe hatchling, you can do permanent damage. Some vets can help you out, but I would recommend finding a reputable breeder near you that can show you how it's done properly.

I pop all my hatchlings the day they hatch, I find it easier then probing for hatchlings only, but popping can also be very dangerous if you don't know how to do it. Both methods have to be done very delicately and I would highly recommend getting someone with experience to show you how.

It wont matter which sex they are , amateur probing can damage or kill them . Find someone to help , most experienced people are happy to probe hatchies for you .

Yea thats what i said, i didnt want to probe because i have no idea what im doing, ive popped before its quite easy but ive seen something that said its more dangerous then probing?

Popping is only more dangerous then probing when the snake isn't a hatchling. Hatchlings don't have proper muscle control in that area, making it easy to pop them, but if there not a hatchling then they do have proper muscle control and when you try to pop them, you can do some serious damage because they will be tensing trying to hold everything in while your trying to pop it out. I will never probe a hatchling because there just to small, you have to find a probe small enough first, then you have the problem of there so small and delicate that the slightest bit to much pressure can do serious permanent damage. If you know how to pop then I would say stick to that for hatchlings. Leave the probing for the bigger stuff.

Popping is only more dangerous then probing when the snake isn't a hatchling. Hatchlings don't have proper muscle control in that area, making it easy to pop them, but if there not a hatchling then they do have proper muscle control and when you try to pop them, you can do some serious damage because they will be tensing trying to hold everything in while your trying to pop it out. I will never probe a hatchling because there just to small, you have to find a probe small enough first, then you have the problem of there so small and delicate that the slightest bit to much pressure can do serious permanent damage. If you know how to pop then I would say stick to that for hatchlings. Leave the probing for the bigger stuff.

I agree with you to some degree but what species are we talking about here? I don't see any problems with probing scrubby, carpet or any of the large, more robust hatchlings.

It wont matter which sex they are , amateur probing can damage or kill them . Find someone to help , most experienced people are happy to probe hatchies for you .

Can kill them? How?

I agree with you to some degree but what species are we talking about here? I don't see any problems with probing scrubby, carpet or any of the large, more robust hatchlings.

I deal with childrens and carpets. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I wouldn't do it because there's a higher risk of damaging a hatchling with probing. Big species like scrubbys and olives I would probe, but that's only because of there big size.

Where are you located?
As far as popping goes it is accurate ONLY if they pop.If they don't pop then you still might have a male.

Im on the central coast nsw.
If popping is better for hatchlings i have no problem doing it, as i said ive done it before, i know if the snake is over 15 or 30 cm's cant remember what one then it can be leathal

i know if the snake is over 15 or 30 cm's cant remember what one then it can be leathal

I would really like to know where this information is coming from - it's rubbish! I haven't heard of any snake dying as a result of popping or probing. Spinal or reproductive organs damage yes, possibly, but death?

It wont matter which sex they are , amateur probing can damage or kill them .

Here we go again.

It's really sad when this kind of opinion presented as a fact is disseminated on forum. It's certainly not helping anyone.

Okay after reading this thread im interested to see what people prefer to do
Do you Probe?
Do you Pop?

Why do you use your particular method?

I am hoping to learn to sex snakes but im having a bit of difficulty locating any one around me to show me how its done.
I may go to the vet and see if i can observe him while he sexes a few of my pythons and hopefully he can give me a bit of a run through of how to do it.

For those of you who do use your particular method how did you learn to do it? Did you get shown or did you just teach yourself? Once you have observed some one sexing pythons a few times do you believe it would lead the way to you probing yourself?

Cheers
Matt

Last edited:
When i popped my babies i tought myself, i read up on it then watched as many clips as i could of it, they gave it a go, read up some more and watched some more clips then did it again.. If i ever do it again ill watch some more clips just to make sure i dont get it wrong..

I'm on the Central COast also and am wondering the same thing; who to contact to get it done??
Also - can someone please give me a rough idea on cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back