Red-Bellied Black Snakes Mating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheapthrillz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I struck it lucky and found 2 Black Snakes in the act of mating. I found them at it at 10.30 am and was able to check on them often throughout the day. The action started out quite vigorous interspersed with periods of rest. After an hour or so they retreated to just outside of the concrete slab that they have been camping under during Winter. There they stayed connected all day! Even after sundown, one of them seemed to be stuck just on the outside. It is impossible to see whether they were still 'attached' but I presume so.

I have been monitoring 10 Black Snakes this Winter. They sun themselves in more or less in the same places every day. About a week ago I noticed they were starting to move around. Today was the first evidence that the mating season has started. I also spotted a very large one cruising down by the dam. It was larger than any I have been watching so presumably a male. Lots more action to come in the next few weeks I hope!

Ever since I uploaded the videos of Black Snakes fighting, people have been suggesting that they were mating not fighting. It is so nice to finally have good footage of mating and you will see the action is very different and much longer lasting.

You need to keep watching it, it get better.

Red-Bellied Black Snakes Mating - 2011-09-02 - YouTube

I will have to check the video out when I get home as youtube is banned at work.
:-(
I have been called out three times now to catch a Red Bellie that is up at my local car wash place and it has alluded me all three times. as soon as I get near it it ducks for cover under some super thick scrub behind a cyclone fence. Any ideas on how I can outsmart it? I'm telling you, they aren't as stupid as people think they are.

Your best chance would be to get there as early as possible. They are not quite as alert when they first come out into the sun. Sometimes you can get lucky if their line of sight to you is blocked by a leaf of obstruction. If they don't see you, you can get right up on them. Maybe you can make a hide of some object to get close enough to pounce.
Good luck.

Your best chance would be to get there as early as possible. They are not quite as alert when they first come out into the sun. Sometimes you can get lucky if their line of sight to you is blocked by a leaf of obstruction. If they don't see you, you can get right up on them. Maybe you can make a hide of some object to get close enough to pounce.
Good luck.
Thanks mate. I am going back there at 8:30 tomorrow morning so am ready for him when he comes out to bask.

Im picturing a man dressed as a tree, moving very slowly towards the clever snake! :lol:
haha..... That just might work. lol.

Good news.... I got him! I went out at 8:30 thismorning and he was just coming out to bask when I got there. I came up to him making sure I kept out of his line of sight and reached down and picked him up. he attempted to get through the fence but I had him and I wasn't letting him go this time! Fourth time lucky. :)
The bloke who owns the car wash place is now much more at ease, although I did mention that there may be more than just one hanging about the place considering it is mating time (as is the main topic of this thread). haha.
I will be releasing him in some more suitable habitat tomorrow. :)

Good news.... I got him! I went out at 8:30 thismorning and he was just coming out to bask when I got there. I came up to him making sure I kept out of his line of sight and reached down and picked him up.)

Don't you love it when a plan works out, Good on ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back