Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpilotaFreak78

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone wants to share.

At present I have 3 yound Carpet pythons.

My Coastal is very much the boos snake, very sure and confident and in your face literally when she doesn't like something. SHe bites everyone she doesn't like and strikes at everything else she gets annoyed by.

My Centralian is non fussed, very friendly and even curious, very lazy too.

My Jungle, he is very shy and so very wary of everything, but is very passive I doubt he would bite anything.

What are your pets like?

My bredli is very similar to yours, friendly and always curious.
My womas are very social, always seem to want to come out, as soon as they see you.
My baby diamond is a little shy but friendly and my spotted is a fuss pot and a little moody.

Doris hates being woken up. If she is out and about. She is sussing you out and very active. I was filming her and she was coming right up checking me out. She like to hide and feel safe. Had out front and she climbed inside my pocket and stuck her head out watching all going on. I'm sure she know's me.

my stimmie is very calm and likes to explore when i bring her out. Never snappy at all and a great feeder. When I am mucking around near her enclosure she slides up to the front and checks me out.

Mine eat, poop, sleep and tolerate being handled (to various degrees).

Billy Crystal they are NOT!

My female black head absolutly hates everything and everyone. she tries to kill me every time i need to clean her or take her out for any reason. my male and my other female black head are just little puppies, they dont mind anything as long as they get fed :)

My Murray darling is the most easy going snake. Easy to handle, even if she doesn't want too.
Spotted is very similar.. very lazy tho..
Jungle still getting used to the getting handled part. Has 2 hides but only uses one. Moves it from cool to warm end, or where ever he wants it..

My Olive is an absolute sweetheart, never bitten, really curious and she is a bottomless pit when it comes to feeding.
My Water on the other hand, vicious, will always bite, terrible feeder, she also loves to musk and piss all over everything.

Sorry, this is long, I have 8 snakes. :)

My 2 year old Murray Darling is very laid back, very curious. He'll stick his head in my glass of water and drink it if I don't watch him lol. I can do anything with him, he doesn't care.

My Bredli is nervous, she's been that way ever since I got her when she was 8 weeks old (she's now 20 months) she's improved a lot though, she used to wrap around my hand really tight and sit very still in the strike position and would strike at anything that moved. I use a hook to get her out, and very slowly and carefully put my hand under her belly. She doesn't strike at everything like she used to, but she watches everything intently. Sometimes she gets a bit flighty and flicks her body around, but when she realises everything is ok she settles again. She moves around my arms now instead of sitting in one place, but slow deliberate movements are necessary so she doesn't get frightened.

My Diamond is very curious, and active. She loves climbing on her branches and slithering around the glass doors of her enclosure. If you go over to the tank she'll come right up to the glass and watch you, and if you open the door she'll come out towards you. When she does this, I sometimes put my finger under her chin. Sometimes she'll move back, sometimes she'll just sit there and let me pat her chin lol. Beware of her when she's hungry though, she'll wrap around you and attempt to eat you. She tried to do this to me the other week, and she's done it to my mother and brother. When she isn't hungry she's fine.

My 21 month old proserpine coastal is a little nervous, but she's never been snappy. I don't use a hook with her as she's never made an attempt to bite me (although one day she might, you never know). She spends most of her time hiding, she explores at night when everyone has gone to bed, and is a very shy feeder. The food has to be left outside her hide rock at night and everyone has to be in bed before she'll come out and eat.

My 8 year old male Jungle is a big baby, he's very curious and has been well handles, I'm his 3rd owner. He spends most of his time sleeping near his water bowl where everyone can see him, he's not shy at all. He likes to stretch out on his branch too, he spends a lot of time up there. He doesn't hide very much and is a good feeder but is very gentle with his food, there's no striking or coiling. He handles great!

My 15 month old Olive is very curious and active but when he hides he usually prefers to hide under his newspaper instead of in his hide rock. He's a great handler, and I think he likes the scent of my lipstick, he always tries to come up and sniff it :lol:

My adult male coastal is really good, very gentle, he feeds well but like my jungle doesn't usually strike or coil around his food, and he even wipes his mouth when he's done :D

Lastly my young water python is fantastic, feeds like a champion and has an awesome temperament. I can pat her under the chin and couldn't care less. When I pick her up she'll slither around my hands for a little while before finding a comfortable place to sit, and then she just stays there like she's going to go to sleep :)

my md is very placid and curious. Easily handled. My bhp is very very curious and is always on the move, again very good with handling. My stimmie is a little shy but is used to being handled by me. One funny trait she has is she bathes in her water after she does a poo. Very hygiene conscience.

I can beat you Tahlia with a longer post :p. I have a few more than that :D

But I won't go through mine individually. But lets just say they temperaments are very varied. There are ones who don't like me. They don't even tolerate being looked at or handled. They will continually hammer you until you put them down and leave them alone. I have some curious who seem to know you're there even though you can't them. They'll stick their heads out to have a look - probably to see if food is on offer - but they aren't cranky at all. Then I have a GTP who I was told, is a pro-biter but has only ever bitten me once when I first brought him home, now he just looks at me, sometimes he's even come out of his home - on his own accord of course, I don't make him come out - and is happy to explore. And saving the best for last - my diamonds and diamond/coastal intergrades. If they know how to bite they don't show it. Gentlest giants in my family. But of course in saying this, you should always take care at feed times. They can be blinded with hunger senses when they smell food, and their behaviour can be completely out of character.

Last edited:
My Stimson Python - Most placid animal I've come across.. ever. Most of the time he's quite curious and happy to crawl up on to your arm. He loves to curl up around the top of his Buddha statue and seems to think he's arboreal at times.

My Jungle Python - Mostly placid for a Jungle Python (from what I can tell), but does have her moments.. A little cage defensive at times, but she's great once you've got her out.

My Woma Python - Only a hatchling and has always put on the 'I'm a tough, aggressive snake' act, but comes across as cute instead. Womas definitely seem to have personality. Lately she seems to have settled down quite a bit (she won't lunge into the air at any moving object 1 - 3 metres away like when I first got her) and instead seems quite curious. Instead of hiding away like when I first got her, she's become more confident. I'll enter the room, and sometimes she'll come out to see what I'm up to instead of just hiding away.

I think for my first 3 snakes, this is a nice combination.. They're all great and unique in their own way, and I don't really have a favourite.

Last edited:
I have only ever seen one placid jungle. Fella up our way has the prettiest jungle and its temperament is as good as my diamonds.

I dare say the scrub pythons have a shocking attitude. I just checked on all the snakes and they are very ungrateful snakes. I was able to give a death adder water, and a couple of cranky lacies, but these scrubbies can go thirsty till their father gets home. One was easy - his bowl is just inside the door but the other one's is at the back of his tank, I tried to bring it forward with a thin stick poked through a gap in the glass but couldn't get and I am not opening that door :D

Lastly my young water python is fantastic, feeds like a champion and has an awesome temperament. I can pat her under the chin and couldn't care less. When I pick her up she'll slither around my hands for a little while before finding a comfortable place to sit, and then she just stays there like she's going to go to sleep :)

Oh I am so jealous, a tame water python would be an awesome snake.
Mine's still only 9 months old, so hopefully she will tame down when she gets a bit older.

My partner has another super friendly/lazy/relaxed Bredli. He just picks him up out of the enclosure by hand (just unwraps him from the branch) and he'll either park himself in my partners lap after he's had a little explore, or stretch out on the couch.

My jungle is really good once he's out of the enclosure, loves to explore, can be a little "sensitive" if he gets startled, but doesn't bite. Can be cage defensive and will strike if he thinks there's food on offer! Great feeder. HATES being disturbed when he's coiled up (I tease him about being so sensitive haha and make sure to stay clear of the strike zone) but great to handle once he's past that initial attitude in his enclosure. Have judged his moods well and only got bitten on night 1- my fault!

Oh I am so jealous, a tame water python would be an awesome snake.
Mine's still only 9 months old, so hopefully she will tame down when she gets a bit older.

I'd been put of getting one for a while because I'd heard so much about them apparently beings psychopaths, but I saw this one in a shop one day and after holding her I could resist. I think I was lucky with her. I hope you settles down for you, they are an amazing looking animal :)

We only have 2 caramel childrens, the female is a little flighty when out and is always on the move but the male is very laid back and happy to curl up on you and just chill. Neither have bitten but the male did bluff me the first time i fed him, i think he didn't like the tongs because he was having a go at them. The female on the other hand just went up and started swallowing the food without striking at it etc. 2 very different snakes.

.........I'd heard so much about them apparently beings psychopaths, .....:)
Yep! The water python I'm babysitting is definitely a psychopath and so are the scrubs :D Silly snakes ... lol ... they intimidate the hell out of me so I cover them up.

My Spotted is nearly 2 years old. I bought him when he was a hatchie after handling his brothers and sisters because he seemed to have a think before biting me and didn't pee all over me. He was a little nipper for almost a year and a half - bit at every opportunity (lucky his teeth were so small), but was so happy to have someone put their face near the tank. He settled down suddenly. One day I went and took him out and he just... didn't strike. However he is a bit cheeky, and will open his mouth very slowly - and nibble on my hand. Sometimes he'll bite down, others he'll just close his mouth and go to sleep. He does hate to go back into his tank, preferring to tightly wrap around my hand and not move (I am the big warm thing to him)
Now if I go to the tank and croon at him (in a very low voice) he'll come out and have a look, then cruise around the tank. He loves it when I put new things in for him to explore, and I try to mix the furnishings up wherever possible.
Overall a good first snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back