Macro photography set ups.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moreliavridis

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just about to buy a macro set up and was curious to see what some of you guys are using like studio lights, tents, flash set ups etc etc etc....

Cheers
Jas

Jason i use a Canon 580ex as a main flash and a couple of old manual strobes that i bought off ebay as secondary strobes, i trigger them with a cheapo set of wireless triggers off ebay as well. For a mini studio i recycled some corflute signs from work and stuck them together with masking tape and i use a piece of plain white A0 paper for a seemless background. I might pull it out tomorrow cause i want to take some shot of my freshly shed wheatie, if i do i take some BTS pics for you.

I'm not all that keen on the tents etc. I do have a small table that I use as a platform for some more 'studio' type macro

Backgrounds generally aren't necessary when I'm dealing with small critters either (unless I want to add some greenery close behind them). Even with a white wall 6ft away from you, if all your flash power is directed onto the subject, then the background will turn out black.

To hold things, I recommend going to Jaycar, and buying yourself one of these.
PCB Holder with Magnifying Glass - Jaycar Electronics
Throw away your magnifying glass and you have a perfect setup to hold onto things. I'd use this for a lot of my studio jumping spider shots.

When you're dealing with macro, the most important thing is light, and you'll need lots of it. When you shoot at 1:1 and at f/20, you can't really use natural light.

A lot of the problem with getting light onto your subject will be flash positioning, especially if you choose to use extension tubes, where you'll lose even more light. Rigging some aluminium together, and gutting a tripod collar, and then adding a ball head, you can make yourself a flash bracket.

5249345566_5567c3f98b_b.jpg

3352873493_4c86730d07_o.jpg

3353699452_1fe800feaf_o.jpg

If you're not using tubes, then you probably won't have to go to this extreme, but it IS a handy bracket if you ever want to try to do night time macro and need some extra light to focus.

Being that you have the D90, you can save money on triggers and just trigger external flashes with the popup flash on the D90 in commander mode.

I'll post a little more tomorrow, but I'm knackered now and desperately need sleep. hehe.

A bracket made out of an old tripod leg. By extending it, you can get almost side on light from one of the flashguns.

i-95kM6JV-M.jpg
i-KGsXcNw-M.jpg

M: What's this about a master class?? (And, where is my invite?! I assume it's in the post as we speak.... ;) )

Thanks for that! Unfortunately, I'll be up north on holidays :( It looks brilliant, though. Have fun!

Hi all,

I have asked a few times what i use
6125861971_fc90a7172b_z.jpg

Its a Nikon d300 with a sigma 105mm dg 1:1 macro, with 3 sb800 speedlights on a Bogen twin flash bracket.
images are taken between f22 and f40, at iso of 100 or 200, at 250 of sec shutter, in raw+jpeg.....I do not use Photo shop. Almost all are taken in manual focus, I prefer it to auto and I have better control over the focal point and in low light

Here is couple of an average results

6125862761_ddf8786372_z.jpg

Crinia tinnula, this is a small species total length of about 20mm
6126411940_2be601d3a9_z.jpg

Feeding shot of a Pogona vitticeps
6111061572_05b9486e92_z.jpg

Tongue shot of a young Colletts

Nice set up mate. I was tossing up between the sigma 105mm and the tamron 90mm and ended up getting the tamron. They are some awesome shots.

Are the two sb800 mounted on the brackets controlled by the one on the hot shoe?

Can anyone make comment on > is the Canon 100mm L series Macro worth the extra coin compared to the standard 100mm macro???

Im using a Canon 60D (APS-C sensor)
Cheers in advance :D

Can anyone make comment on > is the Canon 100mm L series Macro worth the extra coin compared to the standard 100mm macro???

Im using a Canon 60D (APS-C sensor)
Cheers in advance :D

I use the 100mm macro (not L series) and I would have to say it is the best lens I have. Instead of getting the L series 100mm, get the standard one and put the extra cash towards a 580EX flash unit, you really need a couple of good flash guns to go with a macro lens.

I also have a Nikon D300 with an SB600 and an SB900 speedlight.
Also have the 90mm macro.

The commander mode (some nikons only) is incredibly handy for if nothing else you only have to carry one speedlight when you're heading out into the bush. Only a couple of Canon camera's have a similar function (only recently released).

I do get some ok results.

Flickr: Henry.Cook's Photostream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back