Would a small monitor suit this enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstar_jones

Reaction score
Would this enclosure be too tall for an ackie?

Hi guys,

I have recently sold off some frogs who used to inhabit this enclosure. I have since given it a bit of a face lift and was originally intending to house my Diamond python in it in the future. (she is only around 30grams at the moment and quite small, so would need to grow a bit first) However, once she is fully grown I think it will probably be a bit too small for her to stretch out in so will probably scrap that idea and just get her a new enclosure etc.

The enclosure measures 1800 tall, 900 wide and 600 deep.

What I was wondering, is if this enclosure would suit a small monitor? or something quite active. I still have to rip out the old fluro's and change over to ceramic lamp holders but could easily run a high powered globe to give a nice hot spot on the ledge in the top right and get hold of some decent sand to use as a thick substrate.

Would this enclosure be too arboreal for ackies?

attached are before and after shots of the enclosure. I have made removable covers for the original planter sections which serve as big hides/caves. The background was covered in a sand cement mix, and some grout here and there and various acrylic paints and cement oxides. Has now been sealed with a couple of coats of clear pond sealer.

open to any ideas and suggestions,

Michael

*apologies for the average photos.. taken from my phone. The new background is mainly yellow sandstone coloured in person.

IMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg
IMG_1078.jpgIMG_1049.jpg

Last edited:
V. gilleni would be perfect for that enclosure. You could set up a small breeding colony in there.

Would it be suitable for an ackie though if I placed more brances inside to help access all the levels etc?

Just wondering because that's all thats around for sale at the moment. Happy to wait for some tristis to come up if it's unsuitable though.

Ackies would be fine in there. They aren't the best of climbers but mine clamber up much smoother walls than that with ease.

Sussed out a few ackies that are for sale today. Sort of put me off a bit as looking and watching them I don't know how they would go climbing back down etc without falling.

I also got the lighting sorted and tested a 120watt phillops spotty above the basking platform and it gets very hot.
(have a ceramic tile on top to absorb the heat better) I will need to get a infrared gun to measure it.

Just need to get some sand in there and I will be ready to go.

I would definitely go for either a ​V.tristis or V.gilleni if I had that enclosure. Whilst ackies climb, they are not what you would call an arboreal species.

Yeah I am definately going to wait for a tristis or some gilleni to come up for sale.

What are the differences between tristis tristis and the tristis orientalis?

I wreckon a small monitor would be great in there. It would give your reptiles something to watch when they get bored. :p

Yeah I am definately going to wait for a tristis or some gilleni to come up for sale.

What are the differences between tristis tristis and the tristis orientalis?

Tristis orientalis are also known as freckled monitors and tristis tristis is known as black headed monitors.

Freckleds cost more and are harder to find while black heads will go up for sale around $250 for a hatchie.

Tristis Orientalis are also smaller in length and have finer detail compared to the Tristis Tristis, a good Orientalis will sell for around the $500 mark.

I'd agree with what others have said, just wanted to add that it's a neat enclosure!

orientalis, in my opinion, are much better looking than tristis.
tristis apparently get to about 90cm.

I breed Tritis Orientalis every year so if that is what you would like you can P.M as both of my females are gravid at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back