Do you take your reptile to the vet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you take your reptile to the vet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tegstep

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, I'm trying to find out how many reptile keepers tend to take their animals to the vet when they seem sick?
I don't want to know which vet etc or start off any bagging-out sessions, just interested "yes" or "no"
Any responses would be greatly appreciated :)

i like to think that everyone would take their sick pet to the vet, not just reptiles

I've taken mine twice the last year, so once every 6 months, just for a checkup to make sure everything was going ok. Which everything was :) its more a piece of mind thing for me. I like to ensure they're alright.

I know the word VET can be a touchy topic in households, especially for lower income earners and people who spend too much time worrying about where ever dollar is going. I was born an animal lover, my husband wasn't - he might have had a pet cat that wasn't allowed inside but I've brought rabbits, fish, birds, reptiles, dog and god knows what else into his life. And along with the animals comes more expenses he never had before, vet bills included. So if you're worried about the cost, I suggest separating money into a bank account, or sub-account and save that strictly for vet use. Hopefully you'll never exceed it but if you can afford to put $5 or $10 a week away, you will have this money to use when your pet needs attention.

If the critter has a need for vet care yes it would be sound to take it for such!

BUT this idea of taking a reptile to a vet for a health check every 6 to 12 months is not only a waist of your money and time but it puts your reptile at risk of perhaps picking up a virus etc!

I know the word VET can be a touchy topic in households, especially for lower income earners and people who spend too much time worrying about where ever dollar is going. I was born an animal lover, my husband wasn't - he might have had a pet cat that wasn't allowed inside but I've brought rabbits, fish, birds, reptiles, dog and god knows what else into his life. And along with the animals comes more expenses he never had before, vet bills included. So if you're worried about the cost, I suggest separating money into a bank account, or sub-account and save that strictly for vet use. Hopefully you'll never exceed it but if you can afford to put $5 or $10 a week away, you will have this money to use when your pet needs attention.

yeah my reptiles are my first pets that are actually mine in every sense so vet bills are new to me to =] i havent had to take them yet but i am putting a couple of dollars away a week just for that. Im a poor uni student...

I have close to half a grand in a separate account at all times if any of my animals get sick. I also have a few contacts I can go to if anything happens. Point is, be prepared for the worst, and if you can't afford it, don't keep it. (Only reason I don't have more animals than I already do!)

And don't waste your money taking them to any vet. If they aren't trained in reptile husbandry they won't know what they are doing. So if you are going to use a vet make sure you pick one that is reptile-orientated, even if you have to travel a little further.

There have been times when I've needed treatment and travelling to Camden Haven just couldn't happen so have had to rely on a vet in town. But if I didn't know what was wrong with my snake, and didn't know what I needed those people could not have helped me. I took my book along with a diagnosis which also offered a treatment. I just needed the vet to convert the treatment dosages to English and give me them.

Everything depends on the problem
We are concentrating now on Reptile Rescue
This is giving us all kinds of head aches and heartaches
If a rescued reptile has RI we treat it here with 90%++ success
Same with stomasis which is surprisingly common in wild Retics
Normal cuts and burns we sew up but major damage goes to the vet
example, vehicle incident with possible rib damage that could cause peritonitis straight to vet for decision
Open wounds we usually treat ourselves
With Lower Jaw damage after vehicle hit we usually take the harder option and put them down immediately
as our success rate there with successful feeding again is minimal
Upper jaw we try or damnedest with about 50%++ success

View attachment 217126
This was a lovely cobra about 5ft long I stitched up after it had an argument with a dog
Fed and shed ok so released it in West Bali

I like Beeman's opinion on this topic. Yes, of course you would take them if it is neccessary, as I have in the past. For a basic check though which really isn't vital, you are probably doing more harm than good with possible risk of disease.

if it seems like a good idea, absolutely,..!!

this week i spent about $700 getting a few checked out and getting a cyst removed from Faas back, that was kind of voluntary tho, the vet said it wasnt that big,..yet,.....

once a year for a check up and when ever they seem sick.. delilah my old beardie had retained an egg once and it was 3 trips to the vet and a few hundred dollars later she managed to lay an off egg blob slug thing. lucky to cause she was gonna have to get a c section to save her if it wasnt all good and cost me a packet but she pulled through and has since had a few clutches with barry for her new owner and is happy.

yes i would. Luckily i have a reptile vet about 10 minutes away.

I took my female olive to the vet when she got attacked by a kookaburra and took my male a week after buying him because he had an unusual cloaca and very poor condition scales.

Ill only take them when i have to, not sure about a "check up"

I don't take mine for general check ups. It only causes them un-necessary stress which can lead to problems like going off their food, RI's etc. Besides my vet don't want to be handling bitey beasts if he doesn't have to. He is very good with his work. I have lost a couple, even after seeking treatment but nobody is perfect and these things will happen but if your vet shows competence and happy to learn to help your friend, he's already doing well.

But if you do take them for check ups, doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. Just make sure you go straight to the vet and straight home.

I took my 8ft intergrade for a vet check couple years ago when I thought his poops didn't look right. Turned out to be nothing, just me being paranoid, but it was a very hot day and was my last chance to buy Easter Eggs before easter bunny comes. So I stopped at woolies on my way home and because of the heat, took my snake shopping with me. He was in a bag, in a green basket so all was good, nobody had to know. I got my eggs and going through the checkout the checkout girl asked for the green basket. I said I didn't buy it from there and she wanted to see a receipt. I said well you can have a look inside it, its dirty, you can tell its not new. Up till then I did not realise there was a rip in the bag that my python was in, but he found it eh? Open the lid and like a jack in the box my big boy comes up to greet the girl. She hollowed and checkouters either side were trying to see what the fuss was. I was highly embarassed at this stage trying to get my snake back in the basket but it was too late. The supervisor saw it and accepted that I did not steal the green basket. She was the only one who remained calm and actually wanted to see him and said he was pretty. So, good idea not to take them shopping. Scaredy cats could react worse than her and hit at your pet and then you'll be heading back to the vet. I check my bags thoroughly now. ACtually I did make the same mistake again - once wasn't enough to teach me - but this time the smallest tear turned into a completely ripped pillow case at the vet though so that was lucky. HE wanted to weigh her, and her weight free dangling in the pillowcase was too much on the little hole and she ripped it beyond salvage. The vet gave me a bag to cart her home in. She was 9ft and 6kg.

Last edited:
Reptiles and any other pet are like children, you take them to the vet/doctor if they dont look at you right just to make sure that they are ok, why risk not going.

In short, yes I take mine reptils/cats/birds and children to see a vet/doctor if they dont look well just cos I am paranoid and I always expect the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back