Marsh Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No its not from the wild. The person i got him off said he had it for 2 months and didnt know what he was doing. Thats y i brought him
Can someone confirm or correct me, but do you still need to keep a rep for 6 month minimum in NSW?

See i never planned on buying the marsh snake. I went to pick up a hypo form pygmy beardie and central netted dragon. They were both very skinny and the beardie is half the size of a adult. And its ment to be 4 years old.
Now I wouldn't be buying animals that aren't in peak condition myself but lets look at the problem.

I used to catch Swampies as a kid (Let's not go down the wild caught track it was 20 years ago) and bring them home.
A great hardy species, that calm down easily and in my opinion, make a good pet elapid.
I used to feed them skinks (Let's not go down the feeder skink path, it was 20 years ago) and they would actively chase them down for a feed. I haven't had much experience with feeder fish and Swampies, but a wild caught my friend had would just take guppies from the water bowl.
I did have some success with weening onto pinky mice by heavily scenting with a live skink.

As far as a tank set-up, it was a 2ft fish tank with a 40w globe just outside the tank near the ground giving a small hot spot. No heat at night. (Living in their local habitat with no insulation, my room was pretty close to natural temp through out the year) I had gravel substrate, some logs for hides and a large water bowl.

I never had any probs with sloughing, they were quite fond of the water, so drying out never happened.
They loved basking in the sun, they would flatten themselves out exposing their glossy black skin.

Only basic info, but hope this helps.

JD

Firstly, I commend you, Doll, for trying to do the right thing. Seeing an animal that really does need rescuing and actually acting on it takes guts. So, bravo you!

Secondly, I think it might be time to quietly ask yourself if your just a bit in over your head with this animal. I'd hate for your good work in saving this animal to be lost. Maybe it might be best to offer to give the animal to an experienced keeper here on the forum. That way you know you've given the poor little mite the best possible chance of survival.

About the licensing comment. This was made with your welfare in mind. It would be grossly unfair if you were to run afoul of the authorities by not purchasing a "legal" animal esp. when you were motivated by the animals wellbeing..

Thank you.

Wat do you mean by the last part. I dont really understand what you mean.

Cheers
Kyle

Can someone confirm or correct me, but do you still need to keep a rep for 6 month minimum in NSW?

Now I wouldn't be buying animals that aren't in peak condition myself but lets look at the problem.

I used to catch Swampies as a kid (Let's not go down the wild caught track it was 20 years ago) and bring them home.
A great hardy species, that calm down easily and in my opinion, make a good pet elapid.
I used to feed them skinks (Let's not go down the feeder skink path, it was 20 years ago) and they would actively chase them down for a feed. I haven't had much experience with feeder fish and Swampies, but a wild caught my friend had would just take guppies from the water bowl.
I did have some success with weening onto pinky mice by heavily scenting with a live skink.

As far as a tank set-up, it was a 2ft fish tank with a 40w globe just outside the tank near the ground giving a small hot spot. No heat at night. (Living in their local habitat with no insulation, my room was pretty close to natural temp through out the year) I had gravel substrate, some logs for hides and a large water bowl.

I never had any probs with sloughing, they were quite fond of the water, so drying out never happened.
They loved basking in the sun, they would flatten themselves out exposing their glossy black skin.

Only basic info, but hope this helps.

JD

Thank you for your info. It helps.
And yes it has to on the licence for 6 months before you can sell it.

Cheers
Kyle

I'm a tad confused with all of this..... I can see why there was a question raised about a breeder and licence...

Your other thread is asking for a photo to be ID'd...................... You say earlier in this thread it's from when you were at the blokes house............. but you didn't take the photo, it came from the following link Marsh snake so I'm juuuuuuuuuuuust a little perplexed as to why you needed an ID done on a photo of snake from the internet that has a species listed with it already??? I suspect that the main question in that thread was about a licence, not so much about an ID maybe?

I can see why another poster is also confused........

If the person you bought it from only had it for 2 months - and you know that it has to be 6 months between the sale of reptiles in NSW, why did you buy it? I'm sorry if I sound negative, but if I was you I'd do the best thing for the snake and offer it to someone more experienced to "care for it (aka) babysit it" until it can be transferred off your licence. That would be the most decent thing to do for it's welfare.

But I'm still doubtful as to whether or not that'll even be possible, I hope you can understand why it seems a little shady that it's all legit, but there are some oddities with your recent posts that to me, just don't add up.

If it's legit, it's eeeeeeeeasy as to get the breeder details from the person you bought he snake from and go about getting the required information from them.

EDIT: Oh, and P.S. you don't purchase animals from someone who isn't looking after them correctly - You report them. Buying more animals only helps them to get more, breed more, sell more and care for more animals, less. JMO.

I'm a tad confused with all of this..... I can see why there was a question raised about a breeder and licence...

Your other thread is asking for a photo to be ID'd...................... You say earlier in this thread it's from when you were at the blokes house............. but you didn't take the photo, it came from the following link Marsh snake so I'm juuuuuuuuuuuust a little perplexed as to why you needed an ID done on a photo of snake from the internet that has a species listed with it already??? I suspect that the main question in that thread was about a licence, not so much about an ID maybe?

I can see why another poster is also confused........

If the person you bought it from only had it for 2 months - and you know that it has to be 6 months between the sale of reptiles in NSW, why did you buy it? I'm sorry if I sound negative, but if I was you I'd do the best thing for the snake and offer it to someone more experienced to "care for it (aka) babysit it" until it can be transferred off your licence. That would be the most decent thing to do for it's welfare.

But I'm still doubtful as to whether or not that'll even be possible, I hope you can understand why it seems a little shady that it's all legit, but there are some oddities with your recent posts that to me, just don't add up.

If it's legit, it's eeeeeeeeasy as to get the breeder details from the person you bought he snake from and go about getting the required information from them.

EDIT: Oh, and P.S. you don't purchase animals from someone who isn't looking after them correctly - You report them. Buying more animals only helps them to get more, breed more, sell more and care for more animals, less. JMO.

Okay the reason i was asking for the id is because i didnt grab him straight away. I asked him to send a picture to my fone after i left the first time. Then i posted it up here because the name he called it i couldnt find on the list. Once i realized i could take i went back and grabbed him. And i didnt even know the picture was from a site. Till now.

Just a note....its extremely easy to ask for permission to sell an animal early...thats all you have to do, ask...
Ive done it before when living circumstances have changed and it was easy as.

I think you should at least try and get permission too sell early, and pass it onto an experienced keeper or hope hard you can find a mentor.

I know youve tried to do that right thing, but I feel it currently being in a situation were someone doesn't know what to do isnt much better, so your deed will be completed once moved onto an experienced keeper...

On a positive note, at least he got it out of the previous owner's hands, right?

I hate seeing neglect.

wow another thread filled with negative arrogant people

Its not all negative. Their just trying to help with the well being of the snake. It would be good if some one could point me into the right direction.

And on the other hand i was also worried about asking for help because some people dont like to help. They just like to put people down. Not many people but a few.

Cheers
Kyle

A lot of the "high and mighty" people on this site actually arent trying to be mean, they just come across as it. If you dont like their answer or find it rude, just ignore it. The worse thing you can do is get upset because that will just encourage them. (Not directed at you kyle, just in general)

Not all of them will take scented pinkies, some do and some don't... generally they are a right royal pain to feed, and if the person did catch it (very few people actually breed them) then it will be full of various parasites that, under normal conditions would have little to moderate effects on the snake but under the stresses and restricted diet of captivity will cause it to lose weight very rapidly... Swampies are eating machines and you really need to feed them skinks and alot of them to keep them in decent condition..... OR... you put in many hours trying to get it onto pinkies and will alot of luck and the right animal you may just get it eating a food item that they are not used to eating...

Jason is spot on.

It seems strange that these guys are on class 1 in NSW when we don't have a specified feed list like QLD has. I've had a lot of experience with these guys, and am one of the only people legitimately breeding them. They have quite a slow growth rate and it can be 2 full years of assist feeding before they're even big enough to take a pinkie. Then you have to hope they are willing. They can and do take live Gambusia but these also carry parasites.

They are a full time job, but Once they do take pinkies unassisted, are a very rewarding addition to your family.

I agree that the swampy in inexperienced hands will be a struggle.
have you ANY experience at all with force or assist feeding? You can assist /force feed mouse tails big end first as another option. But these possibly lack certain nutrients.

regardless of any legalities regarding this snake, for someone inexperienced it isn't the animal for you. However if you are confident at assist/force feeding there are lots of things to try. Tails, fish etc. Maybe pinkies depending on size. Scenting with different items.

You also run the risk of being bitten, although not a dangerously venomous snake, have you been bitten by a swampy before?

I have been bitten by one. I had two rescues come in. They were looking quite rough but one just had retained shed on him. I bathed him and preceded to peel his old skin off and lost grip of his little head. He turned straight round and sunk his mouth into my thumb, had one more chew before he let go. Within minutes I felt the tingling sensation in my thumb as the swelling began. Next day my whole hand was up like a balloon and very sore right up to my elbow. It remained like this for about a week and then went away. But don't take my experience as gospel that you are safe from harm. Another member here, who is highly trained with venomous snakes says he nearly died from a marshie bite. Everyone's body will react its own way and can be worse or less than the next person.

I agree that the swampy in inexperienced hands will be a struggle.
have you ANY experience at all with force or assist feeding? You can assist /force feed mouse tails big end first as another option. But these possibly lack certain nutrients.

regardless of any legalities regarding this snake, for someone inexperienced it isn't the animal for you. However if you are confident at assist/force feeding there are lots of things to try. Tails, fish etc. Maybe pinkies depending on size. Scenting with different items.

You also run the risk of being bitten, although not a dangerously venomous snake, have you been bitten by a swampy before?

No i dont have any expericence doin that. I havent been bitten yet. How would i be able to get something to scent the pinkie??
Cheers
Kyle

scenting usually means you a; find and kill skinks and break them up and rub them over the food item, or B; harvest skink tails (so the skink lives another day) or C; scape the next fresh DOR Bluey off the road and use it (blend and freeze in usable amounts)..... these may seem a bit harsh, but this is small elapid keeping in a nutshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back