Some Pics of my new Olive/enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilde

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to taking a few pics of my Olive and his enclosure. Kinda wondering about the heat though if anyone has any ideas or suggestions. The cage temp is about 83 and the basking spot is 91. Winters coming soon and the night temps are going to drop everything 10 degrees or so. I'm wondering if I should leave the light on 24/7 in winter (using a zoo med basking lamp) or if I should get an infared light and have that on 24 hours? Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0302[1].jpg
    IMG_0302[1].jpg
    100 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0306[1].jpg
    IMG_0306[1].jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0301[1].jpg
    IMG_0301[1].jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0305[1].jpg
    IMG_0305[1].jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 144
Cool olive and enclosure

I let my night temps drop to around 26c and daytime temps around 35 in basking area. I have a long enclosure and the cold side is around 20 at night and 28 during the day but he spends 90% his time on the hot side. With cold nights below freezing i recommend a night light

looks good.
We work in Celcius..
83f = 28.3C
91f = 32.7C

It's still growing so I don't see anything wrong with 24/7 heat through winter. Maybe get a ceramic heat emitter though so it still has a night cycle.

Ok so my temps aren't too bad then. Whew, lol. What about using an infared 24/7? would that be good? I only ask cause I have an extra one kickin around and winter here can drop to -40C.

He's adorable!! Nice shots of him checking out the new enclosure.

I'm of absolutely NO help in regards to temps etc, but just had to put my 2 bobs worth in as he looks so happy and healthy.

Such a cutie, that tank wont last that long :) I have mine in a tank like that but its taller and wider untill he grows a bit bigger

No harm will come from using an infared globe 24/7 unless you are cycling the animal (s) for breeding. Especially given the climate in Canada! It will probably get too cold without it depending on what the temps in your house are like? Beautiful little Olive too, it will be a monster in no time :)

Thanks guys for all the nice comments and help! really appreciate it. The enclosure itself is 4X2x2. I think maybe for now I might just leave the basking globe on 24/7 in winter. Summers get wicked hot so I wont have to worry about it then I'll just have it running 8 to 8 or so. Just our winters are friggin cold and I didn't feel like going the heat mat route.

Hi Wilde. I wouldn't use a day basking globe 24/7 for any extended period of time. Some snakes can stress from being exposed to light 24/7. I would provide a photoperiod the same as you experience during each season. You will need to provide heat at night during winter and as suggested you could use a ceramic heat emitter or IR globe to achieve this. You could also use a heat chord under one third of the enclosure to heat the enclosure floor.

Just a note, as mentioned, if you heat your home during winter and the temps are fairly stable above 16 to 20 degrees celsius you shouldn't need to supply heat at night so long as appropriate temps are maintained during the day. However, not supplying any heat at night in winter may mean your snake could stop feeding until the weather warms up again.

King regards and happy herping.

Ewan.

Wilde, Your enclosure and juvenile Olive Python both look awesome thanks for sharing photos of them both, in regards the night time temperature l myself would use a heat mat underneath the enclosure at the warm end, my 4 Olive Python's all have access to heat lamps day and night, and warmth from the floor also, cause out in the wild here in Northern Australia where they come from, they enjoy basking on the ground seeing they a ground dwellers which means they live at ground level, in burrows-rock crevices-hollow logs most of the time.

So if l was you l would provide your juvenile Olive Python a basking spot at the warm end of its enclosure from below the floor covering roughly 1 foot square.

Yeah, I think you're right Ewan. The overall house temps in winter are about 21. So, I'll still keep the globe on its reg cycle (off at 12am on at 6) and if I do notice a difference I'll switch to the IR. But, what you had mentioned I think he should be fine in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back