Hello, Im new to APS and Aussie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadeInNZ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Jo and I am from NZ. We moved to WA from Christchurch in January and have been looking into having snakes as pets since we got here.
Its not something I thought I would ever get into mainly because its not something you are aloud to do in NZ but after holding one I fell in love.
This site is fantastic and I have read many of the threads, especially the newbie ones lol. The more I learn, the more excited I get. Cant wait for us to get our own snakes.

Welcome to Australia, must say you picked the worst state for reptile ownership! We have very very restricted keeper lists here in the Wait Awhile state. Good luck with whatever snake you decide on though! (I love my SWCP, but I miss my Maccies terribly!!)

Hi, and thank you for the welcome.

We have learnt pretty quick how restrictive the ownership laws are here in comparison to other states but its still a step up from NZ :)

We are looking at getting a pair of Stimson's for our first snakes. We stumbled across a really nice reptile breeder in Rockingham and he has a pair for sale that are just lovely. We already have our Cat 3 licence so just need to finish the enclosure.

Nice, I want some stimmies, sadly, have no room in the house at the moment - I have a deal with my fiance that for every new RC car he gets, I get a new snake, so far he owes me 2 lol. There is a group that meets in rockingham on here somewhere, there is a swap meet or something down there. Enjoy!!

Hey thanks, will look into the rocko group and see if I can find them.

I am lucky as my partner wants snakes, in fact the whole thing was his idea so I can see us having many more in the future. I also want a Corella sometime further down the track.

Welcome MadeInNZ. I don't think it matters what state you live in, at least you can keep snakes of one form or another... unlike the land of the long white cloud ay!

welcome mate!!!!
There is great help and info on this site if you need any help just ask! :)

Welcome to the site & Aust. Good move getting out of CHCH must be nice to be on solid dirt that doesnt shake. Lots of us Kiwis on this site that have caught the addiction of reptiles Thinks its a case of wanting what you can't have haha My wife started out saying I could have 1 lil snake but I've ended up with 4 big snakes & working on getting more. She admires them but not @ all keen on them. Its a real thrill when you actually have one to watch hold as they do their daily stuff much better than looking @ a fish tank imo Good luck do searches on here for what you need to know lots of great info & well informed rep owners that set you on the right path to successfully keeping snakes

Welcome MadeinNZ, good to have another Kiwi in OZ, we are slowly taking over. :lol:

Reclaiming our West Island lol Then some of the better wallabies player could maybe play for the All blacks & feel the glory of winning world cup.lmao as I don flame suit

Hi and thanks,

This site is fantastic for answering questions I didn't know I had lol. Its given me a great base to research from. I am trying to learn as much as I can before we get the snakes home as snakes were my partners idea, he is the one with all the knowledge. He has recently gone fifo (within the last mth) so while hes away it will be up to me to look after them. Many hours have been spent on the internet so far and next week I will be spending some time in the library. Any recommendations? The more I read, the less I know!

Hey, welcome to Aussie pythons and snakes and Australia :D! Here in Australia we have some absolutely stunning reptiles which you are aloud to keep! As you mentioned before for a stater snake I would also go for Stimson's. I don't own one but have heard MANY great things about them. May the fun begin :)....

James

Urk, my fiance is FIFO too, 2 weeks away, 1 week home. He is not really involved in my reptiles, I think he's a bit scared of the snake, though he does love the geckos. Be sure to put up pics when you get your snakes!

I will be posting pic when we get them.

My partner is also 2:1 and I think he is a bit miffed that I get to spend more time with the snakes than he does considering it was his idea to start with and they were suppose to be his lol

Welcome, and welcome to Mandurah too... I've lived here 20 years and love it. :) I have a 3 yr old Stimmie and got him from the Armadale Reptile Centre....great place with wonderful animals. If you want to chat about it....PM me.

Cheers, Annie. :)

Welcome MadeinNZ, good to have another Kiwi in OZ, we are slowly taking over. :lol:

Taking over or invading? Ive meet that many kiwis here and know of more comming lol

Thanks grannieannie, it will be great to get to know people in the area who own snakes. They are not everyones cup of tea lol

If you don't mind me asking, who does your partner work for? Mine is at Ausdrill, on bomb crew. Give us a pm whenever you feel the 'miners wife blues' lol ;)

Welcome to Oz Jen. We know Kiwis only come here for the warmth and then take the opportunity to rub salt into our Union wounds. Am glad you have discovered reptiles. They are definitely special animals.

There is a herpetological society based in Perth… WAHS [West Australian Herpetological Society]… WAHS - West Australian Herpetology Society Inc . Unfortunately the meetings are just north of the city centre, a bit of hike from Mandurah. There are a couple of regulars from Mandurah though. Anyway, have a look at website – there is some useful info there and hopefully more to come in the not too distant future.

I am assuming you are purchasing from Ken. If so, he’s great. Knows his stuff and is extremely helpful. Won’t mind answering a bagful of questions. You are certainly going about it the right way by doing your research first. That can, however, be a bit overwhelming at times. There are different ways of doing the same thing and different people will often have differing opinions on what should be done. Th other problem is that not everything on the net is correct.

When you are at the library, see if you locate either or both of the following books.... “Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity” by John Weigel published by the Reptile Keeper’s Association; “Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons” edited by Mike Swan published by Mike Swan Herp. Books. John is the owner / manager of the Australian Reptile Park just out of Gosford in NSW. It is close to if not the premier reptile park in Australia and has been running for 50 years or so. John’s book is probably the best value for money reptile care book you will buy. It sells for around $20 and is a brilliant basis for a whole range of reptiles. Mike’s book is the bible for keeping Australian Pythons and normally sells for around $50. If you can afford it, I would strongly recommend you purchase and utilise it. Check out the net because there are search engines available for finding the cheapest prices for a given book.

The other advice I would offer is to get everything set up and running for at least a week before you bring home your snakes. That way you can check the temps regularly, day and night to make sure they are doing what they should be. Ensure you are happy with the placement of the enclosure for your viewing pleasure. I would recommend adding a bent fork of a branch (minus any bark) a few cm thick. Cut to size so it provides a stable (tripod) elevated object for the snake to climb when it wants. Lastly make sure you have located a reliable and permanent source of frozen rodents at the right price.

Perth takes a bit of getting used to – so arid and so flat in comparison. But you will soon fall in love with our blue skies, white sandy beaches and the clear waters of the Indian ocean, not to mention the hinterland.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back