Proposed laws trigger cat fight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually if you have a cat or dog registered with the local council then they already have the right to enter the property with your consent, just like any person who has a wildlife license and the state wildlife authorities. But if you don't agree then they can insist, if you don't allow them access then they need a court order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first off all my cats are fixed, chipped, registered and NEVER roam as we built a cattery off the back of the house for them to get out in

now i noticed someone said cats get away with much more then dogs? how so exactly? secondly ive not heard of a cat ripping someones face off lately have you?

if they do it for one lot of animals then they must do it for all, even reptiles because im betting there are lots of homes out there with illegal reptiles, no licenses, etc

to discriminate against one lot of animals is just that DISCRIMINATION

again it will those of us who do the right thing that will be required to jump thru hoops and pay the price as per usual while those who do the wrong thing will get away with it

council have a list of owners who do the right thing, WE dont need the swat team to break into our house to check things out, how about they start going around and door knocking on every door looking for unregistered animals and leave those of us who do the right thing the hell alone

first off all my cats are fixed, chipped, registered and NEVER roam as we built a cattery off the back of the house for them to get out in

now i noticed someone said cats get away with much more then dogs? how so exactly? secondly ive not heard of a cat ripping someones face off lately have you?

if they do it for one lot of animals then they must do it for all, even reptiles because im betting there are lots of homes out there with illegal reptiles, no licenses, etc

to discriminate against one lot of animals is just that DISCRIMINATION

again it will those of us who do the right thing that will be required to jump thru hoops and pay the price as per usual while those who do the wrong thing will get away with it

council have a list of owners who do the right thing, WE dont need the swat team to break into our house to check things out, how about they start going around and door knocking on every door looking for unregistered animals and leave those of us who do the right thing the hell alone

Just because you are doing the right thing doesn't mean all cat owners are.

You may not have heard of cats ripping anyone's face off recently, but how many stories have you heard of cats bringing back 'presents' that they have hunted down for their owners. Birds, snakes, all sorts of natives have been decimated by cats that are allowed to roam free and if other species were to have the same impact I would expect something to be done. To label it discrimination is absurd, it just means that owners of that particular species have more requirements....just as I am required to do as a reptile owner.

I'm sure if you were able to provide the required documentation for chipping, sterilization, etc then that would be the end of it. People need to remember that cats are still hunters and as cute as they are when they are kittens, still have serious ownership requirements.

I wonder what happens with the cats that did not meet the criteria

Could be some great snake food in WA soon??

Finally a cat thread that makes sense and is not out of control.

The proposed laws sound significantly more lenient than those that apply to reptile keepers in most if not all states already.

I have 4 cats on one side and 3 cats on the other I cannot go out to my back yard because of the cat poo and hair {highly alergic} my yard is used as a cat stop off mating and toilet area, so I think this is a good idea. In Port Stephens if your cat is caught outside your boundaries it is put down as its classed as feral.

I have 4 cats on one side and 3 cats on the other I cannot go out to my back yard because of the cat poo and hair {highly alergic} my yard is used as a cat stop off mating and toilet area, so I think this is a good idea. In Port Stephens if your cat is caught outside your boundaries it is put down as its classed as feral.

Why dont you get a cat trap. Each time the cat is caught then you take it to the local pound...... to retrieve their pet your neighbours will have to pay a fine etc. With doing this every time i am sure your neighbours will become more responsible!

It is about time that at least some polititions came to thier senses, it sounds like they have in WA & a lot of polies could take a presedent from that.
At long last!!!!

I won't go on!

Cheers
Ian

do you forget feral cats have been around longer then tamed cats? the Egyptians actually tamed them i believe?, its NOT something that has just evolved, cats have been hunting native animals as long as snakes have been hunting native animals, modern cats can be traced back to their ancestors in the age of dinosaurs, yet everyone thinks they have suddenly become these feral native hunting monsters and im sure cats are NOT the only contributors to the decline of native animals but make good scape goats dont they, man has just as big an impact if not worse, umm removing trees to make way for palms to process the oil thus making lots of apes, chimps scarce and homeless, so what do you expect we do about that?? how about we desex man? only registered breeders can have children

targettting ONE species is discrimination but thats ok its cats lets feed them to snakes hey, also i have seen a thread in here in which we are asked NOT to lump all dogs as dangerous and another one defending pitbulls (i have no issues with pitbulls ok) yet someone mentions cat and almost everyone is out looking for blood and its wrong

why should i have to jump thru hoops when im already doing the right thing? how about going after those who are NOT doing the right thing? how about knocking on the doors of homes NOT registered as owning cats, these people continually get away breaking the laws yet I have to jump thru hoops to justify some bureaucratics wage each week and while they are knocking on these bloody doors how about they check out if the owners have other animals that are 'legal'

dogs are also hunters why isnt everyone witching about them? let them go feral and they will revert back to wild to survive ..no bloody difference AND a pack of dogs will attack and eat a human if hungry something ive yet to see a pack of cats do, oh thats right they dont run in packs do they? then again a single dog will still kill and eat a human

i get annoyed when i come in here and see people telling others to kill cats, lay baits for them, put them in a bag and drop them in the river, trap and kill them, etc all because they dont like them yet if i was to say something similar about snakes the forum would be in a frigging uproar

so why cant cat lovers be given the same respect 'some' of us give snake lovers? how would you like it if i said something like oh ummm oh' if a snake enters your property cut it into pieces with an axe and let it suffer' would that be ok in YOUR books?

feral dogs are trapped and poisoned around where i live.better not discrimninate hey.lets get the feral cats too

Sorry but if you can't afford it - don't have a cat! Desexing and microchip cost me $129.00 all up and it costs $28 a year to register each cat once desexed. Snakes cost more in electricity and licence. Great idea!

I don't keep cats, however - dogs have to be registered and chipped; you are required to have a license to keep reptiles and submit a (at least) yearly update on what is kept; as far as I can remember from my Dad keeping native birds, there are massive restrictions and 'hoops to jump through'. Why should cats be any different? Looking at this rationally, if such a system isn't in place for cats, then it is all other pet owners being 'discriminated' against.

So to euthanize a dog based on looks is ok, but to round up strays and non registered cats and euthanize then is not? Wow! All that is being asked is that cats have the same registration as dogs in mist other states, also stray cats in Australia has only been an issue since they were introduced here, by Europeans!
Current laws allow dogs that are wandering to be shot if the ranger thinks it's dangerous, can have dogs picked up if found wandering and euthanized at a pound if not collected in a set period of time......so yes Australia has discriminated for long enough, confine cats to your yards, just like dog owners must, register and microchip them, just like dog owners and failure to do so will result in actions against you, just like dog owners!.......I am not a cat person at all, but I don't care what pet you have so long as you have it under control! Wandering cats are not under control!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you forget feral cats have been around longer then tamed cats?

Jeannine, by definition i think that is actually impossible. At the very least the common usage of the word "feral" in Australia is used to describe domesticated species that have reverted back to a more wild type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back