Hatchie refused dinner last night... How long to wait before I try feeding again?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LucifersJester

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey peoples,

I've got an 8 month old Mac that I went to feed her last night she ignored the food totally. I went through the normal wiggling and she smelled it and ignored it.
I left it in her enclosure for about 2 hours and then I removed the fuzzy...

How long should I wait before trying to feed her again?

Background info:
The temps in her enclosure are spot on.
She isn't in shed
Never before has she refused a meal (usually smashes it before I even wiggle)...

Any thoughts would be awesome. Cheers

LJ

try braining the food (putting a littlle prick in the head of the feeder)
or try dipping the feeder in luke warm water then offer the snake.

Give it a week and try again. It's nothing to worry about. If that doesn't work give it another week and try. There are lots of ways to get them to eat. The easiest is just wait until they want it.

also keep your under tank heater on 24/7

Well, she has shed 2 days ago, so I tried another feed - even brained a pinkie and no go. She bit on, then spat and just tried to escape... I'll try again - might have to get some 'live mice' to put the 'passed on' one in with to get the scent... Don't know if that would work... *shrugs*

Ummmm.....what the?? Originally posted on the 8th Sept "she isnt in shed' Today the 12th Sept "she shed 2 days ago".......im definately no expert but i would leave her for a week, put the food in her tank, & leave her to eat it.

P.S She WAS in shed, hence why she didnt eat 4days ago!

Well, she has shed 2 days ago, so I tried another feed - even brained a pinkie and no go. She bit on, then spat and just tried to escape... I'll try again - might have to get some 'live mice' to put the 'passed on' one in with to get the scent... Don't know if that would work... *shrugs*

If the snake was eating fine and just shut off i would suggest its a husbandry issue.
Pinks for an 8 month old spottie are way to small unless its been underfed.eg our 8-9 month old spotties are on largeish velvet rats.

Revisit your heating and housing, adjust accordingly and dont handle
the snake untill its been eating on a regular cycle again.

Ummmm.....what the?? Originally posted on the 8th Sept "she isnt in shed' Today the 12th Sept "she shed 2 days ago".......im definately no expert but i would leave her for a week, put the food in her tank, & leave her to eat it.

P.S She WAS in shed, hence why she didnt eat 4days ago!

he means go buy pet mice and rub the feeding item on the pet mouse to get its scent...not feed live prey items..

1. she was in shed, but unless you look at the body, spotteds,stimmies etc only have pale eyes for 2-3 days well thats what i've noticed. if keiko doesn't eat her rat, i leave it in the enclosure over night and she normally eats it while i'm asleep

If the snake was eating fine and just shut off i would suggest its a husbandry issue.
Pinks for an 8 month old spottie are way to small unless its been underfed.eg our 8-9 month old spotties are on largeish velvet rats.

Revisit your heating and housing, adjust accordingly and dont handle
the snake untill its been eating on a regular cycle again.

Beeman: Cheers for the info. I've checked everything as the temps, hides and everything is perfect... I'm only just going from pinkies to fuzzies/velvets - so she sometimes won't hit a velvet but takes a few pinkies...
I'll see how she goes... :)

he means go buy pet mice and rub the feeding item on the pet mouse to get its scent...not feed live prey items..

1. she was in shed, but unless you look at the body, spotteds,stimmies etc only have pale eyes for 2-3 days well thats what i've noticed. if keiko doesn't eat her rat, i leave it in the enclosure over night and she normally eats it while i'm asleep

Cheers :) There were absolutely no signs that she was in shed - no pale eyes or anything (that I could see) apart from the night before she shed she got a blue-ish tinge to her scales. All the other snakes I've ever had their sheds are quite obvious (ie: pale scales and eyes)...

I'll try the leave the food in. I don't feed her in her enclosure but I might try that... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back