Snake -sitter?? What do you do when you go on holidays?? (Vic)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox.n.Lix

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Last year I went away to be with my dad who was sick and did the full transfer my snake for 6 months to someone else, then get him back.

What do other people do when they go on holiday? Surely people still go on holiday? Its not as simple as palming your pet off to someone else, or getting the neighbour to feed it. Are there such things as "kennels" for reptiles????

Little help?

Rox

Hay mate, Yeah there are "kennels for Reptiles". Ask at your local reptile supply shop they should be able to help. I travel around the world alot so i gotta do it fairly often (mainly for the monthly trips). took me a while to find one i was happy with. Make sure you have a look at where your baby will be staying (if they dont let you look, dont go to them).. Some of them are pricey but i think my crew is worth it, and i know their in good hands. Just make really sure your happy, anit nothin worse than stressin over your loved ones.

Can't recommend anyone in your area sorry but as has been said, check them out and make sure you're happy. I left six gentle-as-a-puppy pythons in the care of 'housesitters' who didn't clean them, feed them or even do their water for over three weeks. Be careful!

Can't recommend anyone in your area sorry but as has been said, check them out and make sure you're happy. I left six gentle-as-a-puppy pythons in the care of 'housesitters' who didn't clean them, feed them or even do their water for over three weeks. Be careful!
I'm really happy I share the workload with my partner and my brother has one, 2 friends have them and my mum would be more than happy to help if we were all away. I'd hate to not have anyone to help....

So what about the (Vic) licensing legalities of having to possess an animal for a minimum of 6 months?

Oh yeah, Its always good to have someone to help out only I got my sister and her two girls (2 n 4 ;) ) to look after my pygmy dragons when i went away bout a year ago and shes still got them :) not worried she takes better care of them then i did (and i thought i was doin well), but my two 2.6mtr snakes are a different story my mum takes all my smaller ones. But no-one seems to be very confident with big snakes

Schnecke, I was in numerous conversations with DSE last year when my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and i had to go to england ASAP. They confirmed even if it was just to care for the animal, it was 6 months possession. I had them grant an exception for a 3 week transfer, but I ended up staying 4 months, so the breeder caring for him kept him for the full 6 months....

I cant help you with VIC licencing sorry, just give them a call or e-mail they prob just want it in writing. Or get a licence transfer/reapply for the state you goin and take them with you, unless your goin O/S.

sorry i just saw that i cant type fast enough to keep up:oops:

Well, I called DSE (again). Choices are: get an exception from the secretary to tranfer possession for a short period, or have someone come to your house to check on the animal while you're away....

We dont take hollidays, That come with having the reptile collection
we do, plus the fact there is no way in hell i would hand over any reptile to a dealer/reptile kennel(for want of a better word) to look after!

Think about the quarantine issues and the possibilty of contracting pathogens, mites etc!
etc.

Friends who keep reptiles are best, I have people stay in my house as I also have a number of fish tanks. Im actually looking after 9 lizards at the moment, messy little buggers :)

So what about the (Vic) licensing legalities of having to possess an animal for a minimum of 6 months?

End of last year I looked after a friends Bredli for a 2 month period. We contacted DSE and were told to send the details to them in a letter/email and to make note in our record books under the entry. So long as it goes back to the original owner they didnt seem to care.

Thankfully i now have oodles and oodles of dear friends who keep reptiles and i would trust to care for mine, just gotta get yourself soem good mates :)

We bred beardies last year and ive been hit up for reptile sitting. I will if ppl pay for all the costs eg food electricity but thr live in a different area to mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back