Gecko laying boxes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewater

Reaction score
Hey,
Just curious do people use some form of laying boxes for there geckos mainly levis.
Just cleaning my enclosures and found two eggs(shriveled) there has been no signs of digging around the site, so how do I find them in the future without tearing apart the whole enclosure?

I have a breeding box in my setup its just a taller chinese cont with tape around it and lid to keep it dark.

Even after she had this she layed under the terracotta saucer.

If you reduce sand to a 1cm or so you;ll be able to spot the eggs alot easier.

I know a well known breeder of geckos here who doesn't use a breeding box at all and successfully hatches multiple clutches each yr. From my little experience with them I think when they are ready they will just drop them. Good luck :) Fun times ahead.

Start eating icecream,1 or even 2 ltr containers work well.

I never used lay boxes for levis, keep the sand in the enclosure shallow and bone dry and use a large saucer with a section of the edge chipped away and keep the sand under it ALWAYS damp and they will almost always lay under it..... Part of getting the eggs of small lizards / geckos ect successfully is by restricting the places they may want to lay in their enclosure...

I never used lay boxes for levis, keep the sand in the enclosure shallow and bone dry and use a large saucer with a section of the edge chipped away and keep the sand under it ALWAYS damp and they will almost always lay under it..... Part of getting the eggs of small lizards / geckos ect successfully is by restricting the places they may want to lay in their enclosure...
Thankyou very much Jason, very logical but great advice, will take that on board very much appreciate all advice given by everyone

JasonL is spot on for how to successfully get viable eggs. Works every time for the knobbies.

For climbing geckos use a small margarine tub with a hole cut in the lid. Fill 3/4 full of damp vermiculite. Keep the rest of the enclosure dry.

I have been using 3 litre containers as lay sites for mine , but might experiment with the wet sand saucer trick with a few of them this year as it sounds like less mucking around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back