Colourings/ genetics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help from people who know a bit about genetics. I’m curious to know what the chances are of my male passing his colourings onto his kids?
Here is a pic of him and his wife.

Attachments

• DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0038.jpg
    DSCF0038.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF0036.jpg
    DSCF0036.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 80
Melanism is a recessive gene. If you breed them together you won't get one with the same colouration, but they will have the recessive allele. If you pair off them (the clutch) you should get 25% melanistic, 50% of the clutch heterozygous and 25% of the clutch normal, with the 75% of the normal appearing lizards having a 66% possibility of carrying the gene.

great thank you. but do you think his colouring is melanistic or just some funky white bits?>

Genetically they're inclined to have lighter patches, if they're entirely black (or in some cases with very dark brownish scales) they're hypermelanistic. This site here explains pigmentation mutations quite well:

The Learning Center The Learning Center

It's american, their research is based on balls and corns but the principal is the same.

Isn't there some natural occuring populations of melanistic shinglebacks (black with black underbelly) around ACT?

Genetically they're inclined to have lighter patches, if they're entirely black (or in some cases with very dark brownish scales) they're hypermelanistic. This site here explains pigmentation mutations quite well:

The Learning Center The Learning Center

It's american, their research is based on balls and corns but the principal is the same.

Sorry but i disagree, With the shinglebacks in general its a locality thing.
Ones found in a cooler climate are naturally darker than those found in drier
warmer environment. But having said that, There are exceptions to the rule.

If miss2 pairs and successfully mates the 2 above critters there will be a tendancy towards black offspring with a small amount of white marking.

all the wild ones i have seen in my area are jet black to a dark dirty brown ish

Does anyone know whether known traits in shinglebacks are polygenic (locality/linebred)? I think some of the black and the goldfields ones are awesome :)

Unfortunately genetics and line breeding in shingles can be tricky. In goldfields I have seen some darker animals throw bright babies and vice versa, suggesting polygenics. In general though they do seem to follow their parents quite closely.

Eye colouring is another strange one. I have shingles with black, slat grey, yellow and blue eyes. With the offspring it seems almost random. Only this year have I had a baby come out with the same eye colour as one of its parents.

Unfortunately genetics and line breeding in shingles can be tricky. In goldfields I have seen some darker animals throw bright babies and vice versa, suggesting polygenics. In general though they do seem to follow their parents quite closely.

Eye colouring is another strange one. I have shingles with black, slat grey, yellow and blue eyes. With the offspring it seems almost random. Only this year have I had a baby come out with the same eye colour as one of its parents.

u know, i dont think i have ever looked at my stumpys eyes actually.... mmmm might have a look tonight :)

Good to know all of the above; I'm mostly brushing up on genetics again as the last time I studied was macrobiology at Otago Uni back in 02, so I'm well out of date. I didn't know there were naturally occuring black ones either, filed away and lesson learned for the day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back