Making your yard/garden lizard and frog friendly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianinoz

Reaction score
I've a mature bluegum (I planted as a sapling when bought this house) that is very nice shadey tree now.

It drops twigs and bark regularly and I don't bin the twigs and bark, I have been tossing onto a pile of the stop under a low limb (is about 3ft off the ground) that I never mow under.
This little wild area in my front yard has been developed (by essentially letting it go wild) to provide a little ecosystem that might provide a refuge of lizards and frogs and a range of insects (if it provides a refuge for spiders then I have to accept that and hope the birds (magpies) and lizards who visit it will deal with the spiders (I do not want to spray them).

Last summer at least one mature bluetongue was frequently seen there.

Yet to see or hear a frog there.

I'm wondering what else to do or add to this little wild ecosystem especially to attract frogs ? (A little pond with a muddy bottom and some rushes growing in it maybe ? don't want to spend a lot of money on this or do much digging).

What do you guys do to encourage wild herps (lizards and frogs) to visit your garden and yard ?

Last edited:
Maybe make a little pond or something, nothing too deep so that climbing challenged lizards don't drown, but enough that would attract frogs.

Little native bushes, rocks and ponds would probably attract lizards and froggies. The native bushes attract food for reptiles and frogs and also native birds like noisy minors and lorikeets...goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back