Is my beardy male or female ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hnn17

Reaction score
Could someone please confirm what sex my beardy is, thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF2788.jpg
    DSCF2788.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF2784.jpg
    DSCF2784.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF2783.jpg
    DSCF2783.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF2779.jpg
    DSCF2779.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 98
hard to be 100% sure from photos but I'd hazard a guess at a male, especially from the 3rd pic

What a fine looking beardy .... very handsome.

But oh the indignity of the photoshoot. I hope you made up with your beardy by giving it something yummy to eat.

I am going to side with male as well, that 3rd pic shows a good central indent whereas females would have a slight bulge where the indent is.
I am no expert though!

Hard to judge by this pic. Yes 3rd phote looks like male but then the 2nd looks more like female......

I would say female buldge pics are not the best. I'm looking at the head.

Cheers Brenton

yeh from that fisrt pic of its behind i would say female but no expert here just my opinion good lookin beardie tho

i was told that adult males have a row of glands along their inner hind legs and across the vent, kinda like little warty nodules. so far it has been true in all my males and not seen on any off my females. sorry the pic is not real good, but this is 1 of my malesView attachment 218856you can see he has about 8 or so of them here from his legs across the front of the vent

i was told that adult males have a row of glands along their inner hind legs and across the vent, kinda like little warty nodules. so far it has been true in all my males and not seen on any off my females. sorry the pic is not real good, but this is 1 of my malesView attachment 218856you can see he has about 8 or so of them here from his legs across the front of the vent

That's pretty awesome to know, my male doesn't have them but he is 2-3 years old and is a central (not sure if that makes a difference) the way i can tell he is a he is by the long vertical bulges up each side and his colour. thanks for the info :)

And what i mean by his colour is that he is brighter compared to the females i have (he is kept in a different enclosure and the people i got them off told me the other 3 were female and he was male), it sounds as if i meant that males are a different colour or brighter than females and i don't wish to be flamed for my wording being read wrong!

Last edited:
Im glad we dont have to have pics taken like that to determine our sex! Geez :oops: wouldnt that be embarrassing! But anyway, if he is a he, he is very handsome, if she is a she, she is beautiful, sorry i cant help anymore then that, my knowledge of lizards stops at simply knowing it is a lizard!

i didnt know for sure what my first pair were until i came home one day to find 1 on top the other, then a few weeks later i had eggs,lol. so was pretty sure i had a male and female. at that time the male did not have any glands along his legs, and there was basically no difference in the bulge under the tail, so sexing can be pretty hit and miss for us amatuers. since then from my clutches iv'e bred the males seem to have a much wider head, the ones i have seen grow up (as some family and friends bought some) the males all have the glands along the legs, so thats what i use as the easiest indicator for me. pattern wise and colour i have not noticed much difference really, especially in hatchies, they all come out grey for me, but then grow in to their bright yellow/orange colours as they age

Thanks to all who replied, it does have the femoral pores on the back legs - just not that obvious. So far no definite majority, so another guess ?

Attachments

• DSCF2802.jpg
    DSCF2802.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF2800.jpg
    DSCF2800.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF2797.jpg
    DSCF2797.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF2795.jpg
    DSCF2795.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 33
in my extremely proffessionally amatuer opinion i would say female. my proven males femoral pores ( thanks for supplying the correct name,lol) are massive and raised about 1mm, whearas my females are hardly noticable, like your pic above.

if you were near me i would lend you my high yellow male who is willing to hump anything right now, and see if you get eggs or a beardy fight,lol

You get me everytime with that fake bug gif dammit!

from the looks of it i think i can see hemi-peen (not that great at spelling, thats just how it sounds) bulges so i think it is a male

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back