Monitor books

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nagini-baby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Im on the lookout for any books on monitors. If you no of any please post them as I havent seen any.

What was the title of the book with a dingo and lacie in water on the cover ?? Australian Goannas ?

My son has it

Steven Wilson/Matt Vincent

Last edited:
"Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards" is well worth the purchase price.

Sounds exciting, are you able to share any more details?
Its been a long long long project of mine (nearly 8 years now). Every Australian lizard species - over 2800 pages in total (across 5 books), >3000 images. I can't say much more or the mods will remove the post as "unfair advertising".

Its been a long long long project of mine (nearly 8 years now). Every Australian lizard species - over 2800 pages in total (across 5 books), >3000 images. I can't say much more or the mods will remove the post as "unfair advertising".

Wow Dan, that's quite impressive mate! Hopefully it's not too far off from becoming available.

I think I have read (and own) most of the monitor books.

As others have mentioned Plianka & King (sp??) is excellent but lacks and Australian focus.

Australian Goannas is also great but has been out of print for years. I got my copy from the VAAH at one of their meetings... they may still have some... or not.

This one is definitely worth the price from the Herp Shop:

style="width: 100%"
|-
|

|
[SIZE=+2]*** New ***[/SIZE]
Monitor Lizards Natural History,Captive Care and Breeding
by Bernd Eidenmuller

|
|-

176 pages, hard back, 2007 - limited number of signed copies available Well known varanid authority,Bernd Eidenmuller spent seven years compiling this interesting work. He goes into detail on all the world's species with natural history and captive care information. Contains many colour photgraphs and distribution maps. An essential publication for monitor enthusiasts. $65.00 per copy

Another worth considering is "Goannas: The biology of Varanid Lizards" by King and Green is also a good read. I must have got my copy from the Herp Shop but I am not sure if Brian still has them?

If only David Kirshner could bottle what was in his presentation at the VHS last night and put that in a book ... then you would have an excellent monitor book!

Wow, that's a huge project! It sounds very comprehensive.

Monitor Lizards - Natural history, biology and husbandry. Daniel Bennett

Goannas- The biology of Varanid Lizards. Dennis King & Brian Green

Piankas' Varaniod Lizards of the world . is a must have also Eidenmullers above mentioned book

There is the free online varanid journal Biawak.

Yes dont miss this one. Free and really informative and with lots of Aussie content. Do a google search and you can get pdf back copies and get on the circulation list. Top notch.

Also, not a book, but another monitor resource is

Varanus.nl forum / Info

Unfortunately there are not that many current books on the subject so journals and forums are probably better sources

Check out Varanus.net. Lots of great info, though probably a good idea to take some of Frank Retes responses with a large grain of salt:)

Lerista bunglebungle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back