Coco-Peat as substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTar

Reaction score
So here is my question is the type of coco-peat that comes in blocks and expands with water good for substrate? I ask for a few reasons, firstly it is cheap, secondly it looks more natural than wood chip, thirdly I envisage that it will stick to my snakes food less than sand would but most importantly I need to know if it is safe as it has written on the pack that it contains micro-organisms which may be unsafe if breathed in. I currently use the same stuff in my tarantula enclosure and have no issues but I don't want to put my snake at risk.

Any thoughts?

It can get quite messy and it will stick to it's food a fair bit but it is generally safe to use.

I use it for my spotted python and my milii. I defrost his rat in a bag so it's doesn't get too wet and bits stick. I'm sure he has swallowed a few pieces but no ill effects. I dry the coco peat out in the sun before putting it their cage.

I have read of people mixing the coco-peat with some sand and having some really good results. I havent tryed it myself but its something that might be of help.

I use it in nesting boxes for pythons and monitors. It is good because it holds moisture well without going off... and it is much cheaper than alternatives like sphagnum moss.

i use it for all my geckos, for bynoes i use the drier bits - let it to dry completely, for my abroreal geckos i use it normally (squeeze it out) and i use it completely wet (dont squeeze it all, just take it from the bucket) for my spotted marsh frogs in summer

I used it for my diplodactylus when I thought they needed more humidity, but I found it a pain, as they would always ingest it when trying to catch crickets. Because of their tiny size, they would occasionally miss a cricket, but hit a big bit or a few long fibers of peat, and eat that instead. Silly geckos. Also made it harder to see their poos when spot cleaning.

Relatively trivial complaints, but since they didn't really need it in the end, I stopped using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back