exo terra vivariums

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CML88

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking at getting another stimmy in a month or too so went looking at enclosures yesterday, all I really see now is glass enclosures and those exo Terra ones. Just wondering who here uses them, they seem to have there own heatmats too tjat just stick on the bottom.

exo terra's are great, i use them, easy to clean, act....
just depends on what you like and how you are going to set it up.....;)

Try city farmers Malaga. They have a lot of vivs for sale.

So you use them with the heatmats?

yeah, i use the exo terra heat waves, they are better as they are adhesive and stick onto the bottom of the tank.... by the way the desert one is hotter than the rainforest one...

Try city farmers Malaga. They have a lot of vivs for sale.

Yeah that's where I saw them. But I thought being glass they don't heat aswell, and was unsure about the sticky heatmats

yeah, i use the exo terra heat waves, they are better as they are adhesive and stick onto the bottom of the tank.... by the way the desert one is hotter than the rainforest one...

And do you use any heating lights?

Last edited:
Those glass enclosures are better for frogs and gecko's. For a stimi get a wooden enclosure.

Those glass enclosures are better for frogs and gecko's. For a stimi get a wooden enclosure.

Got to agree there, if at all possible I try to avoid full glass enclosures for snakes.

Got to agree there, if at all possible I try to avoid full glass enclosures for snakes.

I went shopping for Enclosures again today, and i just cannot find any decent wood ones. All that seems to be out now is the Exo terra's, even the new Reptile ones are glass...

They have heaps of wooden enclosures there in flat pack form by reptile one.

They have heaps of wooden enclosures there in flat pack form by reptile one.

those are the siburra ones, thats what im using now but i find you cant mount a cermic in the roof theres no room.

I've got one of the ExoTerra vivs for my spotted python. Came with light, background, plants and water dish. I like that the doors open out rather than sliding glass. The glass bottom also makes cleaning really easy.
A+ in my books.

I've got one of the ExoTerra vivs for my spotted python. Came with light, background, plants and water dish. I like that the doors open out rather than sliding glass. The glass bottom also makes cleaning really easy.
A+ in my books.

And how do you find the heating in them, are you using the exo terra heat mats that stick to the bottom? aswell as a light?

im having a real hard time finding a shop thats selling wooden enclosures, its all just glass at the moment. apart from the one shop.

I have a reptile one heat mat. It's not very powerful, but I live in Townsville so heating isn't too much of an issue.
Heating is pretty good, transferrence through the bottom of the glass is good (especially with newspaper, though I'm using Aspen shavings just now) so if the snake wants heat he just curls up on top of that spot.

Cat

Also, they come with a styrofoam back. If you're worried about heat escaping you can always stick some styrofoam around the sides on the outside as insulation...

Cat

Ah ok, yeah I've been looking around and most stores are stocking glass enclosures now with those stick on heatmats. I jist don't know...

those are the siburra ones, thats what im using now but i find you cant mount a cermic in the roof theres no room.
What do you mean there is no room? height wise? Should be easy to do.

I 2 have been looking at getting a better enclosure for my stimmie and all i can find is glass ones!!! Or heaps of fish tanks (i dont want 2 use a fish tank tho!) so its good to know I can use a glass one just use foam on the walls to keep it warm! im with you tho CML88, dont think i want a glass one still.... Thank you for asking this q's as i too was after advise on this! Can you get a pre made (not put 2gether) wood enclosure that you just knock up over the weekend ?!?

get a glass viv and either buy or make your own backgrounds...thats what i'm doing...and glass vivs look better i think rather then wooden ones. i think wooden ones just look out of place if you don't spend heaps of money on them.
But then again, its what you want and think.

The Exo Terras are great for things like Geckos certainly I keep such stuff in mine. Wondering how people would say the Exo Terras are for skinks (stuff like E.cunninghami or maybe sandswimmers, not like Blueies)?

What do you mean there is no room? height wise? Should be easy to do.

It's hard to explain but on my siburra there's like a peice that sits inside that's got a mesh accross the length. A can't mount a ceramic on that, the only other place is at the front, but that's a lid on hinges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back